"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 PM   #21
Head Chef

Absolutely true Taxlady, I was devastated to find that out. Making my own bread I always add powdered milk for extra nutrition. In the meanwhile my prvious discourse was a round about comment on the fat that separates from milk and whisking/zapping/buzzing can/could possible put it back together... unless you make butter

Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 PM   #22
Master Chef

You can buy milk in bags here too. Comes with free pitcher. You put the whole bag in the pitcher and the pitcher has this pinch st the top where you slide open side of bag. Much cheaper than regular milk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 03-26-2014, 08:06 AM   #23
Head Chef

Thanks everyone, I put a cup of it in the freezer for a test, I will experiment later on to see how it worked out. But I think for now I will just buy as I need it and my husband will get really thick and rich milkshakes and rich mashed potatoes with the leftovers . Haven't heard any complaints from him.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Thanks everyone, I put a cup of it in the freezer for a test, I will experiment later on to see how it worked out.
That's great! A real scientific experiment! Let us know.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think we are talking about different things here. Heavy cream is a liquid.
Yes, of course it is. In fat content it falls between our whipping cream and our double cream but not enough to matter in this context. It can be beaten (whipped) and piped or spooned onto things (or, as I said, frozen). I've seen American (and Canadian) cooks use it in this way on "Food Network" so I know it works.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You can buy milk in bags here too. Comes with free pitcher. You put the whole bag in the pitcher and the pitcher has this pinch st the top where you slide open side of bag. Much cheaper than regular milk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
But less eco-friendly than returnable glass bottles which still hang on over here. In addition, the milk that comes in our glass bottles was in a local cow yesterday as opposed to supermarkets' plastic flagons of milk which are about a week old when they hit the shelves, having travelled miles and miles. Oddly, because it's pasteurised as opposed to being UHT or sterilised, supermarket milk has a sell by date of up to 15 days hence, which I find very worrying. Basically, it means supermarkets' "fresh milk" is far from being fresh
Old 03-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In addition, the milk that comes in our glass bottles was in a local cow yesterday
Is that true of ALL milk in GB or just in your area?

When I had my own laying hens I found that peeling hard cooked eggs using my fresh eggs was difficult---- came off in bits and pieces and a lot of whites attached no matter how long or how they were cooked. (Store-bought eggs peeled pretty consistently with large pieces and very little bits and pieces.)

I finally did a test and kept a dozen or more in the fridge. Then every few days I would take a couple out and hard-boil them---- always same pan, same way. Relying on memory it took about 2-3 weeks before I was able to peel them! I think more towards the 3 weeks time.

Plus they were orange, not pale yellow.

Something to do with the membrane separating from the shell.

So---- 'fresh eggs' in the grocery? Not so. Maybe it's different in GB.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #28
Head Chef

cav76, people in the egg/chicken enthusiasm line know quite well that it is extremely difficult to peel FRESH hard boiled eggs. Minimum 1 week but preferable 2, best at least 3 weeks old. But a good trick is to crack the shell all over then use a spoon to slide under the shell and lift off. You are right, as an egg ages, the air pocket increases in size and which helps the membrane separate.

Orange yolks are from the feed you give and/or they are free range and getting lots of greens. During winter months when my chickens are not running free and decimating my gardens I give them chopped cabbages/carrots/apples and whatever kitchen refuse I have.. and for anyone out there with a few chickens for eggs - be sure to cook your potato peels well or don't give them to the birds at all.

I also cook and feed back to the hens any eggs that are really soiled, cracked, frozen or when I worm them (10 days grace). Can't sell those! Well, actually I eat those when I worm them .... figure it could take care of whatever's inside me too, but i won't sell them.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #29
Master Chef

Back to milk. Mad Cook, we too have glass milk bottles, but mostly for organic milk, as far as I know. Regular milk is in cartoons or plastic bottles.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Freezing heavy cream

We always have heavy cream in the fridge, but we travel a lot.
What I do if we're going to be gone more than a week or two is freeze it in ice cube trays and bag the cubes in zip-locks. If you need some for a sauce or gravy, just throw in a cube, or two, near the end of cooking, and stir it in. Works great for us.

We do the same thing with bacon fat and chicken fat from making stock. Also freeze some stock in ice cube trays when we make stock. Hmm--how about tomato paste. Usually need just a small amount at a time, and we never see the toothpaste tube type packaging locally.

WARNING! be sure to lable the bags

Tags
cream, heavy cream