"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Cook

Fried eggs

So, I admit it, I'm a redneck; I dip my eggs.

Nothing is better than coming home from work at 3 am, stopping at the Waffle House right up the street from my house, and getting a couple of sunny-side eggs, and a double order of toast and dipping my eggs.

@#$%!! road widening has forced the Waffle House to close, though, so I've been trying to replicate them on my own.

I've watched the guy at the Waffle House. He uses a small, stainless steel pan, puts in a glob of butter, expertly cracks the eggs on the side of the pan with a single swipe, and out come tasty eggs.

I'm using a small (about 8") non-stick pan, spray on a little of that Crisco Olive Oil flavored non-stick spray, cook them on a gas stove on high heat, crack my eggs on the side of the pan and get egg everywhere, and cook them till the edges start to brown a little.

They just don't taste that good. I've also noticed that there's not as much "goo" to dip.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

If you are cooking the eggs on high that is part of the problem. The pan should be hot and then turned down when the eggs are put in. Dh can cook eggs so I know you will be able to do it well. That is the only thing he cooks.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Cook

Who is "Dh"
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Senior Cook

If you use olive oil spray instead of a glob of butter the

flavor will never even come close. They may also use a yellow and butter flavored shortening product that contains salt. I am sure they seasoned their eggs with salt even if they did not use black pepper. Try using a cast iron pan to fry the eggs. That is all I use.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
Who is "Dh"
Dh = dear husband
Ds = dear spouse
Dw = .....you get it.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

I would use butter also and as Lizannd said, Cast iron skillet is the best.
Next try lowering your heat. Good luck and happy dipping from one redneck to another. Yee haw!

By the way Dh means Dear husband!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

dh= dear husband
Old 01-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Master Chef

SeanCanCook - DH means dear husband. Your olive oil spray cannot give you the flavor that butter will. They are 2 totally different things. You may be cooking them too long or as others have said at too high a heat. Try switching to butter, lower your heat, and lessen the time in the pan not necessarily all at the same time. Try changing one of these and see what happens. You may have to crack a lot of eggs to get the right combination that you like but what fun is cooking if you can't experiment a bit?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Break your eggs into a small bowl before you start. Heat the pan and add a pat of butter. Add the eggs and cook over no more than medium heat. There should be no brown on the edges. Eggs should be yellow and white.

Cooking them until they brown around the edges takes too long. As a result, the "goo" has solidified (overcooked).
Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Cook

Wow, thanks for all the input.

So, I just tried it again.

I got the pan hot on high, then turned it down to medium/low.

I used some of that generic, Wal-Mart butter flavored non-stick spray, and cooked the eggs less, till there was just a tinge of brown on the edges (hey, baby steps, OK?), and seasoned them with some ground black pepper.

These tasted much better, with lots of goo to dip in. They're still not up to Waffle House standards, but they're improving.

Will using more of that cooking spray equal more flavor? if so, how much is too much?

I generally avoid salting my food at restaurants, etc., as i never know how much is put in there during the packaging, preparation, and cooking processes. In this case, there's no salt in there. Should I use some salt? if so, how much, and should I put it on before, during, or after cooking?

Now if I could just duplicate those Waffle House Waffles!

PS, DD really liked them too; there was more leftover goo on the plate for her to lick.

Tags
None