Frittata with Spring Onion & Ricotta
How do you prepare Frittata ?
Flat omelettes known in Italia or Mexico as Frittatas are quite popular in Puglia. This version celebrates the Spring Onion Harvest of Apulia ... ( one can use onions of choice and availability ) ...
FRITTATA WITH SPRING ONION AND RICOTTA ...
3 tblsp. Evoo
1 Bunch of Green Spring Onion
8 Large Eggs
6 ounces of Ricotta ( I use my home made )
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley - flat leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
Black pepper freshly grounded to taste
2 tablespoons of milk
*** garlic and fresh herbs can be added to taste
Reggiano Parmesan - freshly grated
Pecorino ( Luccatelli Romano ) - freshly grated
1. Pre heat oven to Broiler ( *** see step 10 )
2. heat one tablesp. evoo in a 12 inch diameter skillet over medium heat
3. add spring onion chopped finely and sauté for 3 minutes until tender
4.transfer to large bowl ( drain evoo )
5. add eggs, freshly grated cheeses, parsley, milk, salt and black pepper to onions and whisk until well blended
6. heat remaining 2 tblsps Evoo and add egg mixture
7. tilt and swirl skillet : to distribute evenly. Using a spatula, lift up edges and permit uncooked portion to flow under.
8) cook until it begins to set or firm up. Reduce heat to low.
9) cover and cook until set: 10 minutes on low.
10) transfer the omelette on the un-done - flipped over side, to an oven dish and broil for 3 mins.
11) do NOT brown
12) slide the Frittata onto a large serving plate, and let cool for 15 to 20 mins. Then, slice into wedges and serve with a simple salad and warm crusty bread, a glass of wine or beer of choice.