"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Eggs, Cheese & Dairy

Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

You can also substitute coconut, almond, rice, hemp, or quinoa "milk" for dairy in most recipes.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbitthehobbit View Post
I have a friend who lives in my house and she is completely lactose intolerant. She can't have anything with even a trace of dairy products (even lactose free milk and goats milk) because she will feel sick. I make food that I usually share with house mates and I feel bad every time I make stuff because it usually has dairy in it and she can't have any.

Basically what I need are a few ideas for substitutes in recipies that I use. I bake chocolate chip cookies often and I know I can substitute crisco or some other type of fat there, I also usually add a dollop of sour cream in them because it helps them stay chewy longer. Is there a substitute I can use for that? I had a thought that maybe a soft tofu might work for that one but I don't know. Secondly, I make pizza as well and I need some sort of substitute for dairy cheese. Finally I ask, Where can I get this kind of stuff because it seems to be lacking at my local rainbow grocery store.

Any help would be much appreciated :D
Most "normal" recipes can be adapted and there are lots of vegan cook books on Amazon. (Vegans don't eat, drink or wear anything of animal origin even if the animal wasn't killed in the process.)

There are non-dairy "milks" such as soya, almond, rice, etc., You can also buy dairy-free "cream" and "yoghourt" and if you ask in a speciality store for vegan "cheese" this will be dairy-free. You can also get dairy-free olive oil and soya based spreads for baking, shallow frying and spreading on bread, toast etc. Always check the labels though as those labelled "suitable for vegans" are ok but any labelled "suitable for vegetarians" may have milk derivatives in them.

Most of these are available in ordinary supermarkets in the UK so I would think the same would apply in other countries. Do you have a Jewish community in your area? Often stores serving them sell non-dairy substitutes because of the strict dietary rules. You could also google for a vegan store in your area.

I appreciate your difficulties as I have a vegan friend who, to make matters worse is allergic to anything with citric acid in it, whether naturally occurring (such as tomatoes, oranges, etc.), or put in as an added ingredient!

Tags
cheese, eating, other