Made butter the other day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I'm sure many on here have done this, but I just did it for the first time the other day..fun..and good..I may have to make it a habit..

Attachments

• 51424019_343621742908405_2330661503503433728_n.jpg
    51424019_343621742908405_2330661503503433728_n.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 171
How did you do it? I have done it by shaking cream in a jar. I was proving to someone how butter is made. I have had the start of butter when not paying attention while making whipped cream.

How did you do it? I have done it by shaking cream in a jar. I was proving to someone how butter is made. I have had the start of butter when not paying attention while making whipped cream.

Oh that can happen so quickly. Been there, done that. Have to stand there and never leave the side of the mixer for even a second.

Because you probably have put sugar in it for sweetening, all you can then use it for is pancakes, French toast, etc. That was French toast for us for about a week.

How come your butter is so pale, ours is quite yellow.

Russ
I remember reading that in the winter, the butter is pale, while in the summer, it is more yellow, which is why the turmeric started being added to the light butter, so it would look the same. Supposedly, it tastes the same, but you know how consumers are!

Years ago (had to be in the 70s), out of curiosity, I made some butter in a blender, beating some cream on medium speed. As soon as it started to turn, I reduced the speed, and added some ice, and it immediately congealed. Was very good, since I had gotten the cream from a local farm. Light colored, too, so it was probably in the winter.

Last edited:
We made butter in the classroom using the jar shaking method. The teacher got it started then each child around the circle got to do 20 shakes as the jar traveled around twice (18 kids, 2 adults). He poured out the liquid and stirred in some salt and we served it to the kids on crackers. They loved it!

Butter isn't naturally yellow — its color is dependent on the feed of the cows from whose milk the butterfat comes. Often commercial butter is dyed yellow because of this.

Our cows and sheep are pasture fed, not grain fed as I believe you guys have. I'm picking the natural feed gives a yellow colour. I will look into,this.

Russ

Our cows and sheep are pasture fed, not grain fed as I believe you guys have. I'm picking the natural feed gives a yellow colour. I will look into,this.

Russ
If they are pasture fed year 'round, then that would explain it. In many places the butter is yellow in summer and pale yellow in winter when the cows are eating the hay from storage.

When I had the 4-H kids and I worked the Fair, the kids that had cows for showing and selling, each had to make butter once from any one of their cows. It was a requirement if they wanted to show their animal. The butter was blocked, wrapped and put in the cooler for the public to buy. For the most part, since their diet during the time they were held at the Fair, was hay, it was very pale yellow. Of course the buying public always questioned the color. But once it was explained, they were satisfied and would make the purchase. Fresh from the cow!

You can see how yellow it is. I believe we are one of the top exporters of dairy in the world. We love butter!!!

Russ

Russ, Is the butter there like the so called Euro-butter, with more fat (therefore, more flavor)? The standard water content of American butter is about 20%. And do they sour the cream slightly, before churning the butter? Another thing that increases the flavor of the butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom