My favourite egg recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yes, & of course there's always Egg Foo Yung (which is really just an Asian omelete), Egg Drop Soup, & egg scrambled into Asian Fried Rice.

Re: Curried Eggs - Saraaaaa, I must admit I've never made an "authentic" version of this myself, but it is a dish my mom used to make when it was "almost payday" - lol!!

While I do know that this is an actual Indian dish with many authentic variations, all my mom did was make a basic white sauce, add curry powder to taste, & pour over sliced hard-boiled eggs layered on toast.

Ok got it, thanks!

By the way, from my understanding, eggs are high in cholesterol. I always have the urge to use egg in almost every meal of the day, but I resist doing that, because I am afraid that my family and I would be consumming too much cholesterol. I know for example, young kids can eat more eggs because they are high in protein. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?

Karen, I don't know that it is a Canadian thing but what I grew up with, and I can't remember the full name we called it, was soft boiled eggs with toast strip "soldiers" that you dipped into the egg.

Deathbysoup, is that what you mean?

Oh c'mon - does everybody but me know what this is? Sounds like fun...is it a Canadian thing??? Tell us.
Just saw this Karen, I think but am not positive that the soldiers just might be buttered toast cut to stripes as Laurie said.
kades

Last edited:
I am also with Breezy, I also never met an egg that I did not like. I love them in all forms - scrambled, omelettes, souffles, quiches, curries, deviled eggs, egg salad sandwiches but I fell in love with this mexican preparation called Machaca Con Huevos. I had these in Cabo and they were to die for. It's basically eggs scrambled with some dried beef sausage.

We make a similar version at home with some dried beef and it tasted awfully familiar. It was incredibly delicious. Mexico Karen I thought of you my friend and was curious where I can find that beef sausage.

Thanks for the answers on the "soldiers and eggs" - I lived in England for three years (many years ago) and I am thinking that maybe I heard that term there. I loved the little egg cups for soft-boiled eggs there, and enjoyed learning the trick of slicing the top off neatly.

I am "new" to eggs as I hated them my whole life. Since I am just starting to warm up to them, I like them poached (basic) or scrambled with veggies, salt, pepper, and some spices.

I like eggs most any way it is cooked except sunnyside up and poached , I don't like runny eggs.

Oh Lord - me too!!! It's a texture thing, & the same reason why I also can't stomach raw oysters.

When we go out for breakfast, the waitpersons always laugh when I make sure they know that I want my eggs the consistency of "a hockey puck". But they know what I mean, thankfully. :LOL:

Oh Lord - me too!!! It's a texture thing, & the same reason why I also can't stomach raw oysters.

When we go out for breakfast, the waitpersons always laugh when I make sure they know that I want my eggs the consistency of "a hockey puck". But they know what I mean, thankfully. :LOL:
I always tell them if I see any yellow that's running, I will send it back. Usually the wait staff laughs when you try and explain a personal aversion to runny yolks but they generally understand. To make my aversion worse, my DD likes her eggs sunny side up and loves to pop the whole yolk in her mouth and pop it and let that goo run all over her tongue. YUCK.

I love indian food and cook/eat it every second day at least. Have discovered the recipes of Anjum Anand a year or so ago and love them all. This recipe for Masala Scrambled Eggs is lovely and simple, so if you like spicy eggs, give them a try. I dont scramble eggs any other way these days. :)
The recipe is at home so here is a link to the one I use.

BBC - Food - Recipes - Indian scrambled eggs

By the way, from my understanding, eggs are high in cholesterol. I always have the urge to use egg in almost every meal of the day, but I resist doing that, because I am afraid that my family and I would be consumming too much cholesterol. I know for example, young kids can eat more eggs because they are high in protein. Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?
Fats are good for kids, for their brain development. Use whole milk with kids.
My cholesterol dropped with the use of eggs, butter, and olive oil (avoid the other oils), making everything from scratch. Get rid of the food sources that are processed. I have a great cholesterol level my doctor says. HTH ~Bliss

Back
Top Bottom