The Last Word on Hard-Cooked Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ROFLMAO: I even add a few ice cubes!

CG, glad you found your perfect method!

So do I. I use the Julia method. Eggs covered with cold water, bring to a boil cover pot, take off heat and let them sit for 12 mins. then drain run cold water into pot and add a few ice cubes. Perfect every time and no dark ring around the yolks.

We buy fresh farm eggs once a week and refrigerate them.
The eggs are different color b/c the chickens are all different.
When I boil eggs I take them from the fridge. Into cold water. Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, drain the pot, into the sink to cool down for about ten minutes. In a bowl of warm water, crack the egg at the 'big' end, then peel. Every time there will be eggs that peel perfectly and some that don't. For the ones that don't I use a spoon to remove the egg from the shell.
A lot has to do with the chicken and it's age and general health.
Store bought eggs ought to all be the same when cooked, however you cook them.

The last word on hard boiled eggs will happen that nano-second before the Sun goes Supernova...

I recommend that before anyone posts their egg cooking method here they MUST go back and read all the other threads listed in the OP.

I refuse to get into this again.

I have my own chickens, so my eggs are fresh. On a chicken page, I read about steaming eggs. I use a bamboo steamer, and set it on top of a pot of boiling water for 17-20 minutes, then plunk the eggs into ice water. Shells just slip off, no matter how fresh they are. I will never do them any other way.

You could use a metal folding veggie steamer, or a colander, if you have one that will fit inside the pan and keep the eggs out of the water.

I recommend that before anyone posts their egg cooking method here they MUST go back and read all the other threads listed in the OP.

I refuse to get into this again.

Agree with that. No argument here. Will there be a last word?

Not likely.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips to keep the yokes centred? I hate it when I'm making devilled eggs and the yoke is off to the side and the white has gotten so thin it breaks.

Is there a certain amount of time to keep hard boiled eggs
in the refrigerator before they become hard to peel?

I do a dozen at a time and keep some for snacks on the golf course.
Sometimes they are hard to peel.

Huh?

I was perusing through this coming week's flyer, making up my grocery list. Since I always buy eggs, I wanted to see what the price was. Imagine my surprise when I read the following:

England best brown eggs.

Is there a shortage of eggs or chickens and now we are importing them from England? BTW, they are two dozen for $4.

Addie,
I suspect that was a typo. They are probably Eggland's Best brown eggs.

They CLAIM to be better - more nutritious - better taste - etc than other brands. Not sure how that happens, but......advertising, you know.

Through the years I have tried many methods of making HB eggs, but most either overcooked them, or, if they worked once, they were undependable - probably when started in cold water, the timing varies, as it comes to a boil at different times. The most dependable has been when I'd put them either directly into boiling water for 10 min. (though many would break, unless I punched a hole in them), or I'd put them in a steamer, and set it over a wok, with the water boiling already for 12 min., cooling quickly in iced water. Still, peeling could be a problem, and I never came up with a reliable method that resulted in easy peeling every time.

However, about a year ago, I discovered a method that I was VERY leary about, but which turned out to make the best HB eggs ever - PRESSURE COOKING!!! Like me, you are probably thinking that this would result in solid green yolks, since it seems like it would have to overcook them, but they would come out perfect almost every time, with yolks cooked through, but almost never any green. And here's the really good part - they peel very easily, probably because the white becomes firmer at the higher temps. I still can't figure out why the higher temps doesn't darken the yolks.

The method was posted on a thread on another forum discussing Instant Pots. Here's the method:

Place a steamer rack in the instant pot and place the eggs on it, separating them slightly (I put 8 in usually, but 10 large eggs will fit in my 6 qt IP). Put a cup of water in the pot, put the lid on and seal it, and set it on manual high pressure for 5 min., and start. When the 5 minutes is up, let the pressure release for 5 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure. Place the eggs in a bowl of iced water, as always, and you'll have perfect HB eggs!

I still can't figure out how this works, since the 5 min setting on the IP doesn't start counting down until it reaches the pressure, thus some steaming is taking place, as it is heating up, then another 5 minutes of cooking occurs while the pressure releases some. Yet, simmering for 12 minutes, overcooks them, in my experience. Go figure.

My first try with my IP was potatoes for salad, including HB eggs...

The eggs (along with the potatoes) were/are perfect.. I see no reason to do HB eggs any other way.. (disclaimer: for me, I mean)

Ross

If you don't have an Instant Pot (or any other pressure cooker), you really don't have to forgo perfectly cooked eggs. ;) I still am holding out on buying a PC. I need more reasons than eggs and making homemade wine. :ermm: :sick: :LOL:

I've been using this method lately and it seems to be fool-proof. Perfectly cooked AND easy to peel.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/10/perfect-boiled-eggs-recipe.html
Glad that you like it, Andy. I'm glad I decided to start one more danged thread about hard cooked eggs! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom