"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-04-2004, 07:54 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Hey, I didn't say I'd buy it for that price, only that this was probably the model you were looking at. It's hard to imagine any store marking it up by that much, especially in the time of the internet, where you could just ship it from somewhere else. I have shipped stuff from Australia before, and assuming the reverse is just as easy, your local applicance stores would go out of business pretty quickly if they tried charging that much.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #22

The trouble is they know not everybody is willing to risk Internet purchases, and then there are the warranty issues. I would rather wait until someone I knew was going over.
My son and his wife live in Cambodia and visit home every 6 months or so. He said his friend in America will pick one up if I need it and take it to Cambodia next time he goes, so it will be a well travelled machine. It's not just mixers, my son bought a laptop computer and saved absolutely heaps in the US.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
Wayne, I have never seen a recipe call for more than 15 minutes kneading total (hand or machine) and most recipes call for half that amount. (5-7 minutes is standard in most bread recipes, both from professional and amateur cookbooks) Given this, it makes no sense that this Sunbeam would require 15 minutes on top of whatever time it takes to knead in the first place, unless the machine is somehow magically unkneading the dough. Assuming the machine works like a standard stand mixer (with the dough hook), I would simply ignore the instructions and do what you normally do. A little hand kneading at the end is useful, but not for more than a minute, if even that.

I purchased a 300W 4 quart Kitchenaid stand mixer for $350.00 CA...Everyone I have ever spoken with agrees that Kitchenaids are supreme.
yeah - the Sunbeam instructions seem weird. I have a Hobart/Kitchenaid K5A (so ancient the bowl and attachments were all made from aluminum). What gripes me about Kitchenaid, though, is the design changes that have been made over time. OK, I understand switching to SS and even coating the paddle and dough hook with that white stuff but other changes don't seem like improvements to me.

Did you know that the current dough paddle is about 1" shorter than the original?

You can't make a single loaf recipe with the newer one b/c (unlike the old) its not long enough to reach the dough.

Then there's the stupid changes in the grain mill design. The original one had a round threaded opening so you could screw in any capacity jar and mill right into the jar - no muss, no fuss - and it was (and still is) easy to use a larger hopper or different size jars.

They changed the exterior design and really made it a lot less convenient.

and they modified the paddle design a little too - can't figure out why

I'm hoping my K5A will outlast me b/c if the motor ever goes I'd be clueless where to get it repaired. So far it's been like the energizer bunny - takes a licking and keeps on ticking!
Old 10-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Kitchenaid Breadmaking Instructions circa 1985
Old 10-04-2004, 07:26 PM   #25

subfuscpersona, somebody posted recently about a Hobart mixer going cheap on eBay. They said all the parts and accessories were interchangeable.
I am not sure about motor bits. You may know better but worth a thought in case you need spares.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I am glad I read this thread. I am sticking to using my hands or my breadmaker to make bread dough.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangbang
I am glad I read this thread. I am sticking to using my hands or my breadmaker to make bread dough.
Maybe with a name like bangbang, stick to your guns and use what works for you. I sometimes wish I had not mentioned the word "Sunbeam" on this thread.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT
subfuscpersona, somebody posted recently about a Hobart mixer going cheap on eBay. They said all the parts and accessories were interchangeable.
I am not sure about motor bits. You may know better but worth a thought in case you need spares.
Let me qualify that statement a bit, about all beater parts being interchangeable. A 5 qt beater will fit any 5 qt mixer, "If you have an older model Hobart kitchenaid". The same with all Hobart kitchenaid 4 qt beaters fitting all 4 qt mixers, etc.

Whirlpool has thrown a monkey in the works with some of their new mixers. They are not always interchangeable because Whirlpool has fiddled with the design of the beaters and bowls! :twisted:

Of course bowl based attachments depend on what size bowl your mixer has. You can not use a colander and sieve designed for a 5 qt mixer on a 4 qt bowl, and vice versa.

Now, the attachment hub attachments can be used by any Hobart or Whirlpool kitchenaids and also Hobart N-50 mixers. You may have to put a book under either the mixer or the ice cream maker if you have one of the old bucket ice cream makers to even out height differences.

There is only one exception to my knowledge -- one of the new Whirlpool Kitchenaids does not fit well the pasta roller attachment. Another one of Whirlpool's mad ideas to make folks buy their newest models!

If you check their forum, they are always encouraging people with good working Hobart Kitchenaids to trash them for the rinky dink clunkers! And they get complaints all the time!

I belong to a electric mixer collector's club, and if any other information comes to light, I will let you know.

Go to http://www.hobartcorp.com/hobartg5/pr/products.nsf/home for information on the nearest Hobart repair center! 8) They can also repair the new Whirlpool monsters, if you want to bother!

Any other questions? Just let me know!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:06 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Go to www.hobart.com for information on the nearest Hobart repair center! Cool They can also repair the new Whirlpool monsters, if you want to bother!
did you mean http://www.hobartcorp.com/hobartg5/pr/products.nsf/home?

www.hobart.com takes me to a site that's under construction
Old 10-05-2004, 06:13 PM   #30

Yes. :? sorry

Tags
None