"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #31
Master Chef

Well, Wayne, I think I found an answer for you thanks to our old friend Alton Brown.

The problem is the mixer design - not the maker. The Sunbeam, and all other mixers based on that type design, do not create enough friction to knead the dough. They are essentially hand mixers stuck on a stand. They are good for mixing, whipping, and beating - which is good when making doughs that you don't want to develop the gluten in like cakes or pie crusts, pancake batter - but not for things where you have to develop the gluten such as breads, pasta, etc.

The other group of stand mixers that will create the friction with the dough hook rubbing the dough against the side of the bowl use planitary motion, and only use one whisk/beater/dough hook. Instead of the attachments being stationary and the bowl turning around (which is apparently where the friction is lost) the bowl is stationary and attachments move in two directions ... the attachment is moved around the bowl in one direction while it spins in the opposite direction. This is the way the Hobart/KitchenAid mixers work. Wolfgang Puck has come out with one, and so has an Italian company, DeLonghi, and I "think" I saw someone else had come out with one but I don't remember who or where I saw it.

Anyway - I hope this helps explain the difference in the mixers and why some will both mix and knead for you and others only do the mixing.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:57 PM   #32
Master Chef

Audeo - I wouldn't worry about the KitchenAid being able to handle your bread kneads - even as often as you bake bread. Just follow the instructions - if it says to let it rest between batches then I would but I don't remember seeing that in my manual for bread, but it does for the pasta extrusion plates, but I know that really stresses the motor the way the extrusion dies work and the density of the dough. Remember, there are commercial kitchens who use them everyday - and I'm sure they wouldn't if they didn't last. Watch the BIG cooking competions and see how many use KitchenAid. I'm sure they wouldn't if they didn't feel they could count on them.

You know how many watts power your KA has ... how many watts does the motor in your bread machine have? I've gone through the manuals on several bread machines and haven't found that information listed.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:54 PM   #33
Head Chef

Hmmm...going to check the wattages...
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #34

I read somewhere in my mixer collecting forum, that it is not wattage that indicates the power of the machine, it is actually torque!

Now, I don't understand all of it, but I will quote the source for you in a minute.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:06 PM   #35

Ok. I found it in a post dated 10/6/04,

"Hello fellow Mixer Collectors:

The strength of an electric motor is not in how many watts it is rated. It
is the amount of torque it can produce.

Some manufacturers in the past actually have added current wasting circuitry to give you the impression you are buying a stronger motor. Others have added weight plates and made the "case" bigger to give you the imression there's a big motor inside.

Unfortunately, torque is not measured even by Consumer Reports. And mixers are not disassembled to reveal that to consumers."
Old 10-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #36
Master Chef

That's true choclatechef!

But nothing is advertised in ft/lbs torque - just watts or hp. For example - the Hobart N50 is only rated at 1/6 HP (about 167 watts) but due to it's gearing and the diameter of the copper wire in the windings in the induction motor , and maybe the size of the magnets in the shaft, too - it probably produces more tortue than the 525-watt KA.

What is advertised is mainly a matter of how many watts of energy a motor can produce. Some produce less HP but are more efficient at transferring that power into actual work. The true test is how effeciently that energy is used.

It's kind of like trying to compare Paul Bunion to the 7-Dwarfs. 8)
Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 PM   #37
Head Chef

With apoligies for the delay...emergency calls...

Hitachi bread machine: 680 watts
KitchenAid Pro: 525 watts

Hmmmm.....
Old 10-08-2004, 12:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Well, Wayne, I think I found an answer for you thanks to our old friend Alton Brown.
Thanx for the effort you and the other guys have gone to. Helped greatly.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Coincidentally.........a woman I know from another message board (all the women on the board had babies in Nov 2001) was looking into Kitchenaid Stand mixers. She lives in Canada and I was shocked to hear how much more expensive they were there than here. So I guess there really is a price differential.

For the record.......there would be "customs issues" with bringing one in from the states. my dh happens to work for customs here in Los Angeles.

Since the product would brought into Australia (and not the US), he doesn't know the specifics of the tax on home appliances such as this, but he suggested you look for Austraila's Customs website.

Also, here in the US, there is a promotion going on with kitchenaid accessories......30% off various accessories. I purchased a 2nd bowl. If anyone is interested the website is kitchenaid.com/mixers and the toll free # is 1-800-541-6390. The promo code is MIXER30

Good luck. I'm sorry they are pohibitively expensive in Australia. I've had mine for a year and a half and use it at least 3 times a week.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninduo
Coincidentally.........a woman I know from another message board (all the women on the board had babies in Nov 2001) was looking into Kitchenaid Stand mixers. She lives in Canada and I was shocked to hear how much more expensive they were there than here. So I guess there really is a price differential.

For the record.......there would be "customs issues" with bringing one in from the states. my dh happens to work for customs here in Los Angeles.

Since the product would brought into Australia (and not the US), he doesn't know the specifics of the tax on home appliances such as this, but he suggested you look for Austraila's Customs website.

Also, here in the US, there is a promotion going on with kitchenaid accessories......30% off various accessories. I purchased a 2nd bowl. If anyone is interested the website is kitchenaid.com/mixers and the toll free # is 1-800-541-6390. The promo code is MIXER30

Good luck. I'm sorry they are pohibitively expensive in Australia. I've had mine for a year and a half and use it at least 3 times a week.
Hummm..... That being the case, I think that makes my idea of buying a vintage Hobart Kitchenaid on E-bay the wisest choice for a Canadian or Australian cook!

You get a better machine, and a much cheaper price all the way around! You could probably buy 4 to 6 vintage Kitchenaids for the price of one new one!

Tags
None