"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bialys and Rugulach

Hi: Anyone out there make Bialys and Rugulach. Both of these tasty treats are Jewish in origin. I just learned to make these and have had great success. My in-laws love them...guess I passed the test.

DG :D

FOOD LIKE BREATHING IS A FIRST BORN
EXPERIENCE.
DG

Selket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Recipes, please! I do several different types of rugelach, would love to see what your recipes are. And would love to make some bialys!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I'm Jewish, and I have no idea what those things are. Are they Sephardic or something?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have no idea if they're sephardic, but rugelach are little pastries made from a cream cheese dough, and traditionally stuffed with dried fruit and nuts, although now chocolate seems to be a favorite!

Bialys are -swoon - sort of like flattened bagels with an onion and sometimes poppy seed sprinkle on top. They are to DIE for!
Old 09-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Rugalech are ashkenasi in origin (i believe). my husbands paternal grandfather was sephardic and the family makes a lot of sephardic foods. I'm 100% ashkenazi and grew up eating rugalech. It's funny b/c I have been trying to find a recipe for chocolate rugalech (i don't like fruit and/or jelly in my food....unless it's a pie/cobbler type thing).

If anyone has a recipe for chocolate rugalech, I'd be much obliged. Or for a chocolate babka. I tried a babka recipe that failed miserably.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Chocolate dough? Or chocolate filling? I make one with a chocolate filling - just shave some semi or bittersweet on the dough before you roll it up, or use the 'mini chips'. I'll see if I have a chocolate dough recipe somewhere.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
Thanks Marmalady!

I was referring to a chocolate filling, not the dough.

That's a good idea. what would happen if i added a bit of cocoa powder?

I have a busy rest of the week and weekend so i'll have to wait til next week to experiement.

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Got this from Martha Stewart a long time ago...

Rugelach

Makes 4 dozen

For the dough:
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Large pinch of coarse salt
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out dough

For the filling:
4 ounces walnuts
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
12 ounces apricot jelly, melted
2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips or currants or a combination

For the finishing:
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup fine sanding sugar

1. Make the dough: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and cream cheese at medium speed. Add sugar, and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Add vanilla and salt, and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour. Remove from bowl, and divide into 3 pieces on a lightly floured surface. Pat into disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to overnight.

2. Make the filling: In a food processor, combine walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse until fine.

3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with Silpats (French nonstick baking mats). On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of dough into a 12-inch round, less than 1/8 inch thick. Brush evenly with jelly. Sprinkle with one-third of the walnut mixture and one-third of the chocolate chips. Using the rolling pin, gently roll over filling to press ingredients into dough.

4. Cut the round into 16 equal-sized wedges. Beginning at the base of each wedge, roll to enclose filling, forming crescent shapes. Pinch to seal. Place on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling ingredients. Brush tops with beaten egg, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I was thinking about the chocolate dough - not traditional I don't think, but maybe a little cocoa powder and just a tad more sour cream?

WW - I think Martha's just combined some of the more 'traditional' fillings here; I've seen separate fillings, each with just jam, or nuts/spice or chocolate; never all three together!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Personally, when it comes to Rugelach the only one I really like is lekvar - prune! & I just buy the filling ready-made!

Tags
None