"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM   #31
Head Chef

I have a bread machine that I use on a semi-regular basis (about once a month). They aren't as popular as they used to be. I thik there are alot of bread machines out there collecting dust.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Since I only use my bread machine to make the dough I am thinking of getting a mixer. But not right now because they are so expensive.
And I want to do some research to find the right one which will also do pasta dough and other things.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #33
Sous Chef

pasta dough and KA mixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Since I only use my bread machine to make the dough I am thinking of getting a mixer. But not right now because they are so expensive.
And I want to do some research to find the right one which will also do pasta dough and other things.
The basic egg pasta dough recipe I use (learned from DC about 1-1/2 yrs ago and works great!) is 1 large egg to 4 oz flour *by weight* (about 2/3 - 3/4 cup). If you make a pound or 2 of dough at a time, this makes a *very* firm dough which even strains the motor of my Kitchen Aid K5. (I like to make a couple pounds of pasta dough at a clip and then freeze it in portions so I can have fresh pasta whenever I want).

There are pasta attachments for a KA but if you go this route, don't go for the type that extrudes the dough through a plate with holes. Reports (here on DC) say those don't work well. The other pasta attachment type is the same basic design principle as a hand cranked model. It doesn't mix the dough but it rolls and cuts the dough. (I use a hand cranked pasta machine to roll and cut the dough.)

If you already own one, I've seen cooks on TV use a Cuisinart to make smaller batches of fresh pasta dough.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Bread machines

Thanks for the info. I have to gather much more before going for a mixer. I'll have to see what machines are a little stronger in mixing the dough(s) because I don't want a wimpy one that can't do the job.
My friend has a mixer, (I forgot what brand) but just a regular mixer and it does pretty well I guess. He doesn't complain about it. But he has also a hand pasta maker, which rolls out the thickness you want and also cuts it too. He clamps it on the side of his kitchen counter and makes fresh pastas. And you all know how good fresh pastas are in dishes! Awesome!
So I am looking at pasta machines too.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMominFL
I have a Welbilt that I purchased in '94 that I did not use for years until the past few months, but I have started making bread again and it's really getting a workout. I never did use it for baking, shaping, etc. I just use the manual setting and do the rest by hand, but it is great for that first kneading! See my post entitled:"Photos of my Italian bread, please look!".

Here is the link: Photos of my Italian bread--please look!

I have been making Italian, Oatmeal, some rolls, hotdog and humburg buns, etc. I actually love my machine and if it goes out I will get another!!!

Pamela
Pamela your bread looks wonderfuL.........yours too Pete! I have a stand up mixer but I haven't yet used it to try and make bread. I also have a bread machine and I do love making bread in it. The only thing I don't like about it is the shape of the bread that comes out of it. I think I'll try what you guys have done and let the machine do the kneeding and the first rise and do the rest by hand. I've tried several time to make fresh bread by hand but no luck. Anyway, you guys have inspired me and as soon as this kitchen is done I'll pull out my equipment and start experimenting.
Oh.....for when I do....does anyone have a TNT recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato Italian Bread?

Tags
None