"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #81
Head Chef

What a great link! It's really informative and the formatting is easy to read!

Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #82
Senior Cook

Subfuscpersona:
My goodness you sure are thorough! I'll have to give you your "Masters" for this theisis!
I think it is all just fine, but way, way above me and my efforts to bake bread. My bread is fine enough for my needs without going into all of those precise measurements, weights and dutiful instructions.
Your pics didn't come through for me so I was in the "dark", however I read everything and especially about the "mysting of the oven" and about the "baking stones", which I may purchase to enhance my bread.
Now that it has cooled down temperature wise here in Florida, I can start to bake again. And because of your advise I will treat my dough a little more tenderly at that last stage.
I have baking baggette pans now, so the loaves stay up and are rounded ofcourse.
Keep up the good work and I will stay tuned for further developments.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:25 AM   #83
Senior Cook

What a wonderful thread !! Many thanks to everyone who contributes and make this as helpful as it is

Goodweed, I want to try your bread recipe. It looks pretty easy and quick, and after all your recoomendations--it must be good. I have one question though, when you say: " Place 3/4 of the bread dough into a loaf pan (it should half fill the pan) and place back on the hot water. Again close the door" Where does the pther 1/4 of the dough go? Does this make 2 loaves?
Thanks!

subfuscpersona, your attention to details is great! I don't generally use a scale either but I might try it. Thanks for all the tips and hard work! I've printed it out and will re-read it after work, hopefully I'll have the time to make it over the weekend Thanks once again!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #84
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake
What a wonderful thread !! Many thanks to everyone who contributes and make this as helpful as it is

Goodweed, I want to try your bread recipe. It looks pretty easy and quick, and after all your recoomendations--it must be good. I have one question though, when you say: " Place 3/4 of the bread dough into a loaf pan (it should half fill the pan) and place back on the hot water. Again close the door" Where does the pther 1/4 of the dough go? Does this make 2 loaves?
Thanks!

subfuscpersona, your attention to details is great! I don't generally use a scale either but I might try it. Thanks for all the tips and hard work! I've printed it out and will re-read it after work, hopefully I'll have the time to make it over the weekend Thanks once again!
Pancake; My family is very fond of yeast fry-bread. We call them scones, though they aren't really. You take the remaining dough and divide it into 4 to 5 equally sized pieces. Roll them into balls while you heat about an inch of sunflower oil in a heavy skillet. Then flatten the dough-balls between your hands and stretch them as you would for a pizza, working from the center outward. Then drop the flattened dough into the hot oil and cook until golden brown on one side, flip and repeat. Top them with everything from butter and honey, to your favorite jelly, or syrup, or with EVOO and garlic. They are very versatile.

You could also take the remaining dough, roll it out into a 8"X12" rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 4" wide by 8 " long pieces. Roll your favorite sausages, or hot dogs in them and place them seam-side down on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Let rise and bake up some great pigs-in-the-blanket.

Just a couple ideas for ya.

Oh, and lest I forget, subfuscpersona's report on her breadmaking is amazing. It's very well done, very profesional. subfuscpersona, I salute you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #85
Master Chef

I just looked at the butter-sponge bread recipe that I posted earlier. Something was nagging at me in my dubconsious about it. I noticed that the amount of salt given for the recipe was 4 tsp. That is wrong. I always use about 1/2 tsp per cup of flour when making any type of bread, or quickbread. More than that will make the final product too salty. So for the 5 cups of flour in the recipe, use 2 & 1/2 tsp. salt.

Sorry 'bout that.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #86
Senior Cook

Goodweed, Thanks for the clarification I love the fry dough idea, I've never tried that! I'll let you know as soon as I make it
Old 12-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #87
Senior Cook

Cuban Bread making 101 + Butter-Horn-Rolls

Well you all....here is my report. Remember I was trying to make Cuban bread for Cuban sandwiches. Cuban bread is only flour, water salt and sugar. The directions came from a cook book (including Cuban Bread of course), about cooking in the Keys (Florida Keys). "Cookin' in the Keys by William Flagg.
The most outstanding thing I found about the recipe is that you start with a cold oven! And to place a pan of boiling water. Then put the bread into the oven and turn it on and set it for 400 degrees.
I duitiful carried out the instructions and the bread turned out just great. Pictures of the loaves and of the inside of the bread are enclosed.
This weekend I made some butter-horn-rolls. I took them to a party and everyone said they were perfect. Photo also enclosed.
All in all a very nice baking week end.
Hope you all had the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00066.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00067.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00068.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	733   Click image for larger version

Name:	99850916229.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	734  

Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #88
Head Chef

Pete, what great pictures! The bread looks so good. The butter horn rolls look like something a local bakery makes, they put a hotdog or sausage in the middle. It's really yummy. Thanks for the great pics!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #89
Senior Cook

I can make Butter-Horn-Rolls now so I am moving on to Cuban Bread. This last batch turned out okay but not perfect yet to my estimation. So much fun trying to get it right.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #90
Sous Chef

"A loaf of bread," the Walrus said,
"Is what we chiefly need:
Pepper and vinegar besides
Are very good indeed--
Now if you're ready, Readers dear,
We can begin to feed."

"It was so kind of you to come!
And you are very nice!"
The Carpenter said nothing but
"Cut us another slice:
I wish you were not quite so deaf--
I've had to ask you twice!"

Many thanks to all for comments and feedback. BTW, problems with the pix in my link my Freeform Loaf with Preferment - Part II as reported by Pete on 12-07-2005, 09:44 AM were fixed within a few hours of his posting.

Special thanks to all who have made this thread such a success and a happy holiday to all -

SF

Tags
None