"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question Degassing (or punching down) vs. Kneading

I don't understand the difference between these two. I am learning a lot from the bread makers apprentice book. I am in the process of my 2nd rise for challah bread. The book says to degas or punch down for 2 minutes. They say degassing is handling the dough very gently to retain as much gas as possible. Gently fold the dough.

But when I fold the dough (I did this for about 2 min), trying to be as gentle as possible. I saw little air (?) bubles form that I think popped. It ended up looking a lot like the dough from the first rise, though the texture is different.

I don't really see the difference between the two techniques. ?

Old 10-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Htc,

that is how my dough looks after degassing too..JUst press lightly on it, not like the fold,push away from you,press fold you do for kneading...You should be fine and that bread is soooo good..
kadesma

Old 10-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks Kadesma. I have just finished the braid and it's rising for the last time. I can't wait!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
Head Chef

kadesma, how is challah supposed to taste? I have had it one time a long time ago. I remember it being soft w/ a soft crust and it to be a golden brown all around. And a little sweet. Is this correct??

I took my recipe from the bread bakers apprentice book. I made 2 three braid loaves with it. I might have made the loaves too skinny. After the rise and it was baked, it was the whole length of a large cookie sheet. Most of the braid is golden brown, but the inside, where the braids meet, it's light (didn't get gold brown). And the crust is kind of crunchy. My loaf isn't sweet at all but rather reminds me of a french bread. It tastes good, but not at all what I expected. The book said that the bread should be done in about 40 min and register at 190 degrees internally. Since my loaves were kinda skinny, I only baked for 25 min at 350. I checked the temp and it registered 200. So I took the bread out.

I think I did something wrong???
Old 10-29-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

HTC, I've made several kinds of bread but never made challah before so I'm not sure but I'm wondering if this has something to do with the changed texture:

Quote:
I just prepared a dough to make challah. My recipe called for about 3/4 c + 2tbsp to 1 1/4 c water. I put the min amout of water in my dough (3/4 + 2tbsp) and in my mixer with all the flour, yeast, etc. Then for some WHO KNOWS WHAT reason, I decided to add 1/2 tbsp to the mixture (even though it didn't really need it) --for some reason I felt compelled to do it.

Anyways, it turned my dough a lot more sticky and not very not where it needed to be. So I had to add about 2 pho spoons of flour to get it back to the consistency it needed.
Even though you added the flour to get it back to the desired consistency, you still didn't have the originally intended proportions so it might have effected the outcome.

I'm sure it was still yummy, though!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
kadesma, how is challah supposed to taste? I have had it one time a long time ago. I remember it being soft w/ a soft crust and it to be a golden brown all around. And a little sweet. Is this correct??

I took my recipe from the bread bakers apprentice book. I made 2 three braid loaves with it. I might have made the loaves too skinny. After the rise and it was baked, it was the whole length of a large cookie sheet. Most of the braid is golden brown, but the inside, where the braids meet, it's light (didn't get gold brown). And the crust is kind of crunchy. My loaf isn't sweet at all but rather reminds me of a french bread. It tastes good, but not at all what I expected. The book said that the bread should be done in about 40 min and register at 190 degrees internally. Since my loaves were kinda skinny, I only baked for 25 min at 350. I checked the temp and it registered 200. So I took the bread out.

I think I did something wrong???
Htc,I don't know how others feel Callah should taste, but the loaf I made was fairly soft and golden, the insides soft and a hint of sweetness the texture was more like a loaf of white bread, but more golden inside and out ..My loaves were fairly wide after rising and almost as long as the cookie sheet, I had to use two sheets or they would have grown together..Don't give up this is one bread you really want to make often it's so good..And I'll bet the one you made tasted just fine, the only thing you had a little different texture...Keep working on it..It will come..Heck the way you bake cakes and breads, you have this one mastered in no time
kadesma
Old 10-31-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks for the vote of confidence Kadesma! Have you tried the challah in this specific book? (I think I remember you said you have it). My bread didn't taste sweet at all. It just tasted kinda like french bread. A bit crusty onthe outside. Next time I make this, I am going to try baking it in one loaf instead of two.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I made it from the breadmaking made easy book by Beth Hensperger...it's called a classic challah egg bread..it has honey in the ingredients..It makes 3 standard loaves or two 14inch braids...i'll go look at the Bread Bakers Apprentice and see what is different..Your recipe only calls for 2 Tab. sugar, mine 1/2c. honey..If you would like the recipe I have I'll be glad to make a copy for you...

kadesma
Old 11-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
Head Chef

Mmm Challah. I have a fabulous recipe that is from Julia Child and her Baking show with the great chefs of the world. I actually got it from someone who went to CIA. It makes the best Challah. If made correctly Challah should have a golden surface and flaky interior with a slightly sweet taste from both honey and sugar.

I brush the surface of my bread with an egg and then sprinkle sesame seeds on it. Leftover challah can be used to make yummy french toasts.

We use to make challah and then make a dinner out of it. Just the braids and fresh whipped butter with some tea or coffee.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Yakuta,

your recipe sounds similar to mine..I wasn't sure what it was supposed to look and taste like the first time I made it, but, I guess I did it right, because I loved the taste and flavor of it. Next to a good ciabatta, I think callah is my favorite...I brush mine with the egg and sesame seeds too..Yummy...Does yours make one or two braids?

kadesma

Tags
None