"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I have a bunch.
They're just all pretty nasty at this point. I've used them for hair coloring, keeping my hair from drying, keeping my hair wet, keeping my hair in place... I even have one I paid for, but its been through so much the elastic has loosened. It would probably be easy to wash, but it isn't clear.

marmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
sounds like you need a new supply. I use them once and throw them out.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef
Plastic wrap works just fine. If you've oiled the inside of the bowl the dough is rising in, the plastic wrap won't stick to anything so it cannot inhibit the rising.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Plastic wrap might be easier. Thank you for that. My thinking isn't all that straight lately.
I'll probably end up screwing up dinner too. My dad just got a new stainless steel pot/pan/I don't know what's what and I get to use it first.
marmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
I always oil the bowl with olive oil, and give the dough a good roll around before covering. Oft times you'll read something like 'Cover with a tightly woven dishcloth.'. Whatever you do, the main thing is to keep down the airflow. I rarely use plastic wrap, but generally use two kitchen aprons. They tend to have a fairly tight weave, and they are big enough to easily cover even a large dough bowl.
D_Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
Master Chef
I don't know - there may be a better method ... but for the past 20-years I just ....

Use a Stainless Steel or Crockery bowl ... grease it lightly with oil ... take your dough ball and put it into the bowl upside down ... roll it around so the surface is all greased up ... then turn right-side up ... cover with a double/triple layered tea towl ... and wait until doubled. That's all my grandmothers ever did.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Master Chef
In addition to all that's been suggested you may not have mixed the dough thoroughly enough so that all the ingredients were not evenly distributed throughout (in your case there may have been more yeast at the top layer of your bread)-----even if you use a bread machine you need to check on the dough after a few minutes just to be sure that everything is mixing like it's supposed to---I always have a spatula ready to help the flour mix in better. Best of luck on your next batch of bread---don't get discouraged-----homemade bread is worth all the effort. Look at it as a learning experience. YOu'll only get better with time.
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook
A light film of oil works well. Roll the dough around in an oiled bowl, and then brush a light film of oil on top. I never had the extra oil interfere with rising or baking. Cover with wax paper and a towel, but dont seal the sides of the bowl or put anything heavy on top. The shower cap idea sounds interesting, but I think it better be a new shower cap. I like to use wax paper to avoid any phalates or off tastes from the plastic.
DinaFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
Oil the dough, oil the bowl, then press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the bowl so that the dough has absolutely no access to air. Or you can press the plastic wrap onto the dough itself, it won't stick if you've oiled the dough, and it leaves no space between the dough and the wrap for air to get in. But if you do that make sure that the dough won't get exposed to air as it rises.
Bread can sing. o.O
Chausiubao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #20
Senior Cook
as verablue and m-in-ftw, i grease the bowl, roll the dough around it, and then turn the dough over so the greased side is up.

however, i don't use plastic wrap. i use a plastic grocery bag that will fit over the bowl. catch some air in the bag so it's inflated(?), and place over the bowl so the now-inverted bag sits on the counter top. the two good points are: no need to waste plastic wrap and, the bag sits well above the rim of the bowl, so even if i get involved in something else and totally forget i've got bread rising, the dough can go well above the level of the rim and still not hit anything. also, i usually make a very large amount of dough at one time, make a couple of loaves, and still have enough dough left over for 2 or 3 pizzas later in the week. this dough i just toss into the same bag and then toss it into the fridge.

let me make sure that wine's ok before i use it.
philso is offline   Reply With Quote