"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #21
Master Chef

Mom would cube and boil turnip with the cubed potatoes and then mash them together. I loved the blend!!

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I'm still a noob and trying to find my way around here... I assume there is a pasty recipe somewhere in this lovely community but if someone could link one for me it would be much appreciated. I LOVE pasties but we're from Iowa so the only way to get one is to make it yourself. I could easily Google one, I know, but I would like a trusted recipe from a real yooper if possible :)

Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I'm still a noob and trying to find my way around here... I assume there is a pasty recipe somewhere in this lovely community but if someone could link one for me it would be much appreciated. I LOVE pasties but we're from Iowa so the only way to get one is to make it yourself. I could easily Google one, I know, but I would like a trusted recipe from a real yooper if possible :)
Post #4 in this thread has a pastie dough recipe: Yeast Dough and directions on forming them.

I bet Goodweed has Pastie filling recipes.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Pastie filling is a simple it's diced round steak, diced potatoes. diced white or yellow onions and if you like them diced rutabeges put the filling on a round of pillsbury pie crust fold in half make it into a half moon and bake till golden, you can brush with egg wash and it's great. Carrots can be used instead of rutabega if you want.
you can do this it's easy
kadesma
Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
Head Chef

GW don't feel bad about the rutabeggies. I use carrots all of the time and in addition to that travesty of culinary justice I also put gravy on my pasties. I'm just a rebel I guess.

Tags
meat, pastry, recipe, seasonings, veggies

I'm so ashamed! I'm so ashamed. I'm making pasties with carrot instead of rutabaga. At least the carrots are from my own garden. But it just won't be the same. You know, when you get hungry for something, sometimes you just have to compromise your standards.:huh: Ah well, they'll still taste good, but, sniff, just not the same.:lol: Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews