"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-29-2003, 10:12 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to esther
bread is done. whole-wheat honey-almond. baking nicely as we speak.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Funny thing about modern processed foods like bleached wheat flour, refined sugar and salt, and stuff: its used mostly in the more "advanced" societies, like the U.S. and Europe - where, oddly enough, human longevity just keeps rising.

Funny thing!

Old 09-01-2003, 09:38 AM   #13
Cook

yes, along with obesity, hear disease and late-onset diabetes.
interesting....
Old 09-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Don't blame overeating and inactivity - the primary causes of heart disease and type II diabetes - on refined foods.

Esther, I took a shot at carrot bread last night, just for fun. Had to use white flour as weevils had gotten into the whole wheat. I used two large carrots (grated, of course) in a small 2 cup loaf with evoo and honey. Cot a nice loaft, but neither BW nor I could dectect any carrot flavor (turned the bread yellow, 'tho). How much carrot should I have used?
Old 09-01-2003, 06:03 PM   #15
Cook

ah, see, i never actually used carrots. the place where im staying DOESNT HAVE A GRATER! (how could this be???) so it ended up being whole-wheat honey-almond. oldcoot, amazing is not the word.
i was just going to grate a couple of carrots and pop it in....
anyway, about that argument we are having. longevity is a result of less disease and such, due to immunistation and vaccination. but also in these countries, which all have huge dairy industries, there are high rates of osteoporosis. you cant argue that bleached white flour and refined sugar are good for anyone. people overeat on these foods, bc they are less filling that whole and more fibrous grains. most people dont realize that they are addicted to sugar and are barely conscious of their sugar intake, because everything is processed. i agree that main cause of todays societys food-related maladies are due to overeating and inactivity. but its all connected,really.

Tags
None