"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Go to the King Artuher web site. It has a search engine to find the nearest store that sells their products. Also, order their catalog, lots of good stuff in it, and it's not limited to flour. In fact, when my catalog arrives, I find someone to come over to my house and hide all my credit cards before I open it.
I'm so glad it's not just me, Caine! I got away this time with 4 bags of flour and 3 jars of espresso powder. But I already have my eye on a baking stone and a pain de mie (I think I spelled that wrong).

Old 12-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ah, yes, Fisher's Mom, all the goodies the King Arthur folks tease us with. I've been using KA flour for years and love the products it turns out. I have the large pain de mie (pullman) pan and love it. You will be amazed at the awesome bread it turns out. The recipe calls for potato flour but, after talking to one of the staff bakers at KA, I was told that I could use finely ground instant mashed potato flakes instead. Been doing that and it works great.

The Kroger stores here began carrying KA all-purpose and bread flour a couple of years ago. Our area Wal-Mart just started carrying KA all-purpose flour this summer. I used to have to mail order the flour before, though. Lot easier now.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I'm so glad it's not just me, Caine! I got away this time with 4 bags of flour and 3 jars of espresso powder. But I already have my eye on a baking stone and a pain de mie (I think I spelled that wrong).
Terry, come on over and borrow my pain de mie pans!

that catalog was creaed by a good friend of mine, who then sold it to KA. I can't subscribe to it, or I'd go bankrupt!
Old 12-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
Executive Chef

King Arthur flour comes with a use by date on each bag. You have to look for it, it's at the bottom of the bag. The latest batch I bought says to use by 9/23/08. I am a long time user of the Traditional Whole Wheat flour. Since I'm kinda a health nut and a baker, I rationalize my baking tendencies by using only whole wheat flour. In a year , I use about 400 pounds of whole wheat flour and about 10 to 15 pounds of white flour. I think it is Arrow Head Mills that I use for whole wheat pastry flour. But I use KA for bread baking.

I consider my location to be remote, I am 2 hours from the nearest Whole Foods Store and one hour from a bulk foods store. But I can get KA Traditional WW flour locally, at Krogers and Wal-mart. I used to be able to get it for $2.09 a bag, but this last time the price was $2.99 a bag. But this is still cheaper than their catalog price.

I also have experimented with the KA White Whole Wheat flour, and can not get it to work for me. So I am back to using the Traditional WW flour. I buy 30 pounds at a time!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Terry, come on over and borrow my pain de mie pans!

that catalog was creaed by a good friend of mine, who then sold it to KA. I can't subscribe to it, or I'd go bankrupt!
Oh June, your friend is a wicked, wicked person! There is something on every page of that catalog that I would love to have. So if Santa decides my behavior this year is only worthy of coal, I'll be at your door with my flour in my backpack. I just know I could make some positively gourmet sandwich breads in a pain de mie pan.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Thanks for your help, Beth. That's what I was wondering when it came to whole wheat. I had also read many places that Arrow Heat Mills whole wheat was a favorite choice so I wanted input from the experienced bakers here. I think anyone who uses 400+ pounds of flour per year definitely qualifies as and experienced baker!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's one very nice catalog. I may have just thrown mine out after looking at everything I had to have Very helpful staff they have, too.

I've noticed my trends starting to order more and more online or over the phone. It's so much handier for me. I didn't get any flours from them, but may just have to check out prices and shipping.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I used to be a baker. Southern Sour Dough was my thing. 200 loaves a night. We were only happy with KING ARTHUR
Old 12-18-2007, 02:25 AM   #19
Head Chef

Interesting about KA. When I decided to try to learn to cook not too many moons ago I kinda at random picked King Arthur Flour at the Krogers where I shop. I've never been sorry. Not all my baking attempts have worked first try but with King Arthur I feel sure I'm further along. Didn't know how lucky that random choice was.

Tags
None