"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Head Chef

New (to me) varieties

I decided to do something different today and made cinnamon raisin bread and sausage bread (first time for both); both with the KitchenAid Basic White Bread recipe. The sausage is made with Abruzzese dried Italian sausage instead of pepperoni. They baked out nice, now I can't stand waiting until they cool to try them out. I also have NYT cinnamon raisin on the counter for baking in the morning.

JoeV

Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

well done again, joe

babe

Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Head Chef

Wow, those look beautiful, Joe!

Did you post the KitchenAid Basic White Bread recipe earlier?

The sausage bread sounds intriguing!

Lee
Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Wow, those look beautiful, Joe!

Did you post the KitchenAid Basic White Bread recipe earlier?

The sausage bread sounds intriguing!

Lee
Here it is again, Lee, by weight and by volume:

Basic White Bread Recipe
For KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1-1/2 C (12 oz.) warm water (105F to 110F)
5-6 C (1# 13 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F.
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn’t fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take the dough and knead it for 5-7 minutes, adding flour as needed, until I get the “feel” I want from the dough.)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow dough balls to rest for 5 minutes, then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1” between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6” long tubes with seam down. Brush with wisked egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° F for 12-14 minutes or until 200° F.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

WOW!!!!!!! Is this what happens to pepperoni bread too??? Whoda thunk.... I need some serious critiquing on this bread recipe. I used the Italian dried sausage and mozzarella cheese. This bread had a serious case of internal flatulence.

HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPP!

BTW, it tastes fine!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Head Chef

I can't believe all you bread foodies don't have a solution to my bread flatulence problem!?! Maybe everyone's still at work, or I've created a monster with no antidote.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Trust me, I'm no baker!!!! I believe it happened just from the weight of the ingredients and it should pose absolutely NO problem. The only problem I see is this is at YOUR house and not MY house!! I'm so jealous!!!!!!! Did it taste ok? I see nothing wrong with it - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Trust me, I'm no baker!!!! I believe it happened just from the weight of the ingredients and it should pose absolutely NO problem. The only problem I see is this is at YOUR house and not MY house!! I'm so jealous!!!!!!! Did it taste ok? I see nothing wrong with it - it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!
You sound like my Mom when I could not color inside the lines. She, like you, was also very kind to the incompetent.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
I can't believe all you bread foodies don't have a solution to my bread flatulence problem!?! Maybe everyone's still at work, or I've created a monster with no antidote.
No answer for you, Joe, but how did they taste? Looks good to me!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Head Chef

It tasted fine...it was just butt ugly, IMHO.

Tags
None