"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
Master Chef

A question for you Grandparents.

How many grandkids do you have and who do you buy Christmas for?
What are their ages?

Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You're really not having a good Christmas season are you? Sure hope things look up.

White elephants can be really fun. Let your self enjoy the game. And keep smiling.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Master Chef

I'll get over it. I'm just letting the mommy show a little too much right now.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We have two grandchildren, ages 7 and 4. Personally, rather than just giving to a few, even if I had 20 grandchildren, I could not imagine not getting something for each of them, even if it was just a little something from the dollar store or something I made. Our grandkids know we love them, so the size of the gift is never an issue for them. But if we were only to give one of them something and not the other, eventually someone would end up with hurt feelings!

Barbara
Old 12-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

money doesn't matter to me either. I just wondered why all of a sudden she decided not to get them anything. Oh well, at least they can play the game. I just had a bad moment and I've calmed down now. Sorry to pitch a hissy fit. :o)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Everyone is entitled to a hissy fit now and then!!!!

Barbara
Old 12-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
money doesn't matter to me either. I just wondered why all of a sudden she decided not to get them anything. Oh well, at least they can play the game. I just had a bad moment and I've calmed down now. Sorry to pitch a hissy fit. :o)
Heck, I manage to work at least one hissy fit in every day.
It's healthier than keeping everything deep inside.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
My Mum's father was very poor & passed when I was very young so I don't really remember him. On Dad's side, they weren't much better off but kids & grandkids would fill a footy stadium. All parents would buy gifts for their own kids and drop them off at GP's house before Xmas along with the goodies, tucker etc. The GPs didn't have a say in it, it was a family decision. I didn't find out about the deals until I was much older.

As GP of one and P of 3, although on a pension our outlays are still pretty good. We still buy for extended family, although my Brother is getting upset with us for buying gifts for his kids out of our pension.

Life's like that. I don't know what is going to happen next year, we'll just have to wait and see.

We've finally slowed Susie's parents' spending and told them that if they must spend money, to spend it on their Great Granddaughter., our kids are old enough to understand.

Sorry I'm not much help Texas.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
Executive Chef

We have 6 grandchildren, ages 25 to 2 yrs. We buy for all of them. We get our 2 children and their spouses gift certificates (this year to Home Depot) their choice. I don't establish a budget for their gifts, but do try to stay in the ballpark with each one (except for the 25 yr old, who is a single mother with an ex husband who doesn't pay child support) I've helped her buy nice clothes for work since they are so expensive, but my daughter is helping more with that now, so I got her a cashmere sweater and a Victoria Secret's gift certificate. My son's kids, I got mostly toys I know they like and a couple of clothing items, except for the 11 year old. I got her preteen grooming supplies and cosmetic kit (no makeup), a cute little blazer, a nice sweater and I can't remember what else I got her. I enjoy gift giving to my grandchildren, but wish I could see them when they open them up. My two year old I got a somewhat remote control truck (simple to use, his dad will help him)and a couple of other toys that he can play with in the house. DH and I don't usually get each other a big gift, although last Christmas he did get a humongous tv for the both of us. I think this year we are getting a new computer chair. We don't exchange gifts with our siblings. I get my mother something if I can think of something. She is almost 88 years old and doesn't usually need or want anything, so I may give her a bit of cash. Also, dd, gs and gd and I are going up to take her to dinner for her birthday Sunday. She is excited about that. DH and I buy ourselves whatever we need during the year so we don't really need or want anything else at Christmas - I'm sure it is a problem for our kids, but they always surprise us with something we hadn't thought about. We don't spend a lot of money like some people, but we are happy with what we give and others seem to be. It does seem that parents and grandparents should be somewhat equitable in their giftgiving, tho - not preferring some over others. I wouldn't like that at all if my kids were affected by that.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Pitch away Texas, I sure would..But, then I'd shake it off and find a wy to fix things so my kids wouldn't know..I've done it before..Just bought something and put m-i-l's name to it and the kids never knew..
We have two granddaughters 10 and 12 both are into barral racing, gymkana,so we are usually pitching in for saddels,boots,riding jackets, hats..But the girls love pretty cloths so I usually buy them an outfit and barbies when they were into that. Now no so many toys but theylove to read Nancy Drew, so that is on the list..We also have as you know Cade, Ethan and Carson, plus Olivia will arrive in January.. Olivia is getting a cute little outfit to come home from the hospital in and a crib mobile for now..Cade wants a remote controlled dinosaur, Leapster learning games and any toy that Santa hasn't left but will settle for just about anything and be happy..Plus I've gotten him some cord and a shirt and crew neck sweater, Etahn got a new coat, pants and sweater, weeble wobble school bus, a home planet theater, as did Cade and glow in the dark planets to hang from the ceilings of their rooms...(Cade and Ethan) Carson got a special toy to sit and play at, plus all kinds of other things.They each are getting a butterfly garden, send for the catterpillars and watch them become butterflies..So many thing but, heck We can do it and our gift is just seeing the smiles and ohhs and ahhhs as they open the gifts..e past several years, we've gone to my daughters home Christmas morning to be with Cade as he see's what Santa brought and have brunch...This year my daughter and her DH have bought another new home and will spend Christmas eve and night here so Santa has been instructed to come to Ma's home to leave Cade and Carson's presents I'm so excited about this, It's been a long time since they have stayed here like this..I can hardly wait
I know we overdo with thegrandkids,but we've been lucky as all of them are always delighted with what they get, say thank you and hug and kiss us, they also play nicely with the toys and share with each other..And, as long as I'm able and mommy and daddy ok everything, I'll get what I can for them...It really isn't how much a kid gets or even how expensive, it's the love you show them and the respect you show them the rest of the year that counts...

kadesma, helping Santa