"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #51
Master Chef

yep, I as a rule, Andy, unless it's international....found it's cheaper to overnite in Frankfurt for a hotel than to pay for the extra plane fare.......bladder can't tolerate any longer stay on the long flights.......so an overnight stay really helps me have some breathing room........do NOT want to be on an airline that's going to nickle and dime you for everything.............when flying for over 8 hours.........

Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #52
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Expat - They left my wallet, passport, tickets and cash in a money clip at the end of the belt, unwatched, after I took off my shoes and belt and walked me to a room to pat me down with me holding my pants up so that I was not walking with my pants around my ankle. THEN I got patted down, while my laptop bag went to some security person that pulled and tugged for five minutes and could not figgure how to get the laptop out, I wasn't allowed to do that. They refuse to look at my doctor issued card stating that I have artificial hips. After the pat down comes the wand why my beeping neck chain needs to be separated from my body, I do not know.

Andy M. I can doo all the things thaqt you do and still get the above, or sometimes mercifully a mini flavor of it. My MIL lives in Victoria BC and was in failing health every time I took DW to see her mom this happened.

GB - If the cost of First / Business went up with coach, I agree. If it did not then the cost covers what they WERE getting and the extra fuel is on us in coach.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #53
Executive Chef

How about everyone flies naked??

Another extreme measure would be to discontinue all carryons,(and that means purses and wallets, too) and nothing electronic, including keys, phones, ipods, cameras, watches etc. permitted on board. Make every airline charge the same for checking baggage, so any decision you'd make regarding which airline to use is based on travel records and ticket price, only. It would speed up the seating process, perhaps saving some of that precious jet fuel.

There was a cartoon in the New York Times this morning. It pictured a flight attendant instructing the passengers regarding the use of the oxygen masks. She explained that in the event of a drop in cabin pressure, the masks would deploy. She continued by saying that for an additional charge of $15, you could have the oxygen turned on.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
There was a cartoon in the New York Times this morning. It pictured a flight attendant instructing the passengers regarding the use of the oxygen masks. She explained that in the event of a drop in cabin pressure, the masks would deploy. She continued by saying that for an additional charge of $15, you could have the oxygen turned on.
Now THAT is funny, I don't care who you are!!!LOL

I don't fly, therefore, I'm not affected, but, I think if every seat, no matter what class, is raised, that is fair, but, if it's only one class, no, not going to be good.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #55
Master Chef

[quote=Adillo303;617873]Expat - They left my wallet, passport, tickets and cash in a money clip at the end of the belt, unwatched, after I took off my shoes and belt and walked me to a room to pat me down with me holding my pants up so that I was not walking with my pants around my ankle. THEN I got patted down, while my laptop bag went to some security person that pulled and tugged for five minutes and could not figgure how to get the laptop out, I wasn't allowed to do that. They refuse to look at my doctor issued card stating that I have artificial hips. After the pat down comes the wand why my beeping neck chain needs to be separated from my body, I do not know.

Andy M. I can do all the things that you do and still get the above, or sometimes mercifully a mini flavor of it. My MIL lives in Victoria BC and was in failing health every time I took DW to see her mom this happened.

oh, goodness I feel for you.......

I had to take an emergency flight to Corpus Christi in order to make my mother in law's passing away--she died 45 minutes after my arrival later so I thank a higher being and her waiting on me.......the flight was expensive as I could only get business class on such short notice--no overnighting so I had to travel business class...I was able to hug her, kiss her and say goodye.....it was worth it........
Old 06-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #56
Head Chef

VeraBlue - Would that be disrespecting the cabin?

LOL - That cartoon WAS funny. Thank you - AC
Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #57
Master Chef

i hate to say it but that's what it seems like---- what we Americans are down to........accept high fuel costs...they are with us for awhile if not forever.........quit accepting downclass service.......just charge more for the tickets.....it's embarrassing.......
Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #58
Head Chef

Expat = You state we Americans. are tickets cheaper and service better overseas? Jest Askin (Brooklyn expression)
Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I do not understand you Corey. Before you were complaining that it is inconvienient and humiliating to take off your shoes and stand in line and go through metal detectors and now you are saying that if they did their job (which is to check you out, going through metal detectors, checking your shoes, etc.) then none of this would have happened.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

And oh yeah; How about being patted down, felt up and your private parts being touched? Tell me THAT isn't humiliating.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
How about everyone flies naked??

Another extreme measure would be to discontinue all carryons,(and that means purses and wallets, too) and nothing electronic, including keys, phones, ipods, cameras, watches etc. permitted on board. Make every airline charge the same for checking baggage, so any decision you'd make regarding which airline to use is based on travel records and ticket price, only. It would speed up the seating process, perhaps saving some of that precious jet fuel.

Fly naked?

Don't talk too loud. They might hear you and start making people do it!