An Issue With Dawgluver (LOL!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyCatLady

Sous Chef
My sweet Mom left me with maybe 30+ cookbooks and a box full of letters she had saved from years of keeping in touch....the old-fashioned way.

I finally got the chance while down with the flu to read these letters again. Oh my! Such treasures!

In one, Mom was writing to an old high school friend in the 1970s (Mom was born in 1920, passed in 2002), and they shared a love of cooking. Her friend's name was Patty, and this is what she wrote after a lengthy discussion about chicken:

"Fran, no matter what anyone says, always remember this: She who dies with the most cookbooks wins. I have 12. How many do you have?"

I think Mom may have won that one.

Dawgluver, I saw your sig, "She who dies with the most toys, wins."

When I read that in the letter, I thought of you, and I wanted to share a little peek into my Mom and Patty.

I was joking about any issue, of course. I thought you might like to know that little part of the letter, Dawgluver. It struck me as something you'd like.

Big hugs....hope everyone's well tonight....love you all!

That's a cute story CCL. You caused me to remember some very old letters I have of my Mom. She was born in 1908 and many of them are from the '20's through the 80's when she died. Many friends and relatives kept them as she wrote such beautiful letters and had flawless handwriting. What a wonderful gift they gave me after her death. In those days, such things were very important.
It's sad in many ways that those days are over.

Last edited:
Kay, my mother also had a gift for writing. Following her death 3 years ago, we had a celebration of life party, and one of her good friends sent me a bunch of Mom's Christmas newsletters. Priceless.

Yeah, it is indeed sad that the fine art of correspondence has been cheapened and replaced by short little emails. I still write people pretty long emails, but no one puts any work into responding. You might get a few sentences back in reply.

I guess free long distance phone calls have supplanted long letters. Also, Facebook posts are sort of like an ongoing journal of one's life and activities.

I love it CCL, and I would have thought of Dawg's sig line, too! :LOL:

This made me think of my mom also....I have every single letter she ever wrote me and not only that, last year my uncle (her brother) gave me a box of letters exchanged between the two of them while my uncle was overseas in the army back in the '40's. I never even knew they existed. There are at least a hundred letters in the box and they are such a treasure.

Mom has been gone for 4 years, and Uncle is in his mid 80's and still going strong! I agree about cursive writing....sad that it's lost in today's school curriculum.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is indeed sad that the fine art of correspondence has been cheapened and replaced by short little emails. I still write people pretty long emails, but no one puts any work into responding. You might get a few sentences back in reply.

I guess free long distance phone calls have supplanted long letters. Also, Facebook posts are sort of like an ongoing journal of one's life and activities.

I hear ya, jd. To go a step further, I still mail cards for loved ones on Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, thank you cards, and write a short little personal handwritten note in each one. I think people love receiving cards in the mail "the old fashioned" way, and I'll keep on sending them out. I know I love to receive them. :)

Last edited:
My mom had gorgeous handwriting, as did my grandmother. My dad, DH, and me, not so much. I still think cursive should be taught, even though three of us were not good at it.

Last edited:
Without cursive being taught in schools these days, it won't be long before all of these wonderful old letters from our families will be lost for all time. Nobody will be able to read them. *sigh*:cry:

Without cursive being taught in schools these days, it won't be long before all of these wonderful old letters from our families will be lost for all time. Nobody will be able to read them. *sigh*:cry:

Sadly. It's terrible that kids are not taught to write properly.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom