"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #11
Master Chef

I would have had to open a good 'ol fashioned can of whoop-a** on them.... that is very irritating and I would have done the same as you did. I am fortunate, I have pretty decent neighbors except for the guy behind me that likes to mow his lawn at 7am Saturday morning.... don't folks know that is a sleeping in day??!!!??

Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks everyone,
I was angry, but, I'm over it. I've lived out here 35 years and this is the only neighbor, I stay away from. I was always quiet and very shy as a kid, but once I had my own kids, I had to learn to be their protector and champion as did their dad. My dh is very mild mannered and had he been here I can tell you what would have happened..He would have helped her load her pick up and then ask if she needed help unloading The only time he really fires up is if someone picks on one of his kids or me. This will not happen again, I promised myself that today. I think she knows how I feel now and I should have done this a long time ago. I made it clear also I'd better not get anymore opened old mail either or I would report them. Out here in the country, we learned that you don't go plodding through the almond,walnuts,grapes, peaches for anything except a lost child or animal and you always ask,seems to me, that's only fair and good neighbors will respect you for obeying that unwritten rule.They will also, be right there if you need them..Then you have the neighbor who behaves like this and it really throws you. Hopefully I was heard and it won't happen again..Sorry I dumped this in your laps, but I had to get it out and off my back. Thanks,
kadesma

Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Hey, IMHO, you were nice. I'd have gone ballistic. I'd have been much stronger in my actions.

1. They have a chain saw, and you don't know if they'd come at you with it when you confront them. I'd have my Glock with me. Not necessarily pointed at them, but definitely drawn and "cheeked" (holding it against your backside).

2. Having training in law enforcement, I'd certainly attempt to de-escalate and disarm them without them knowing I had a gun. Then, assuming successful disarming, I'd slide my gun in my belt, and likely prone them out on their front side. If I could access my cuffs, I'd cuff 'em. If not, call the cops. Not being a sworn officer, you have to have the cops there to make a citizen's arrest, which is what I would do.

3. Even not having training in law enforcement, I'd do whatever I could to detain them until the cops come.

I just can't understand how anyone would have the audacity to trespass onto someone's property to "help clean up the yard" without the owner's permission. Far enough out in the country, that may just get you shot! The only place someone is welcomed on my property without permission is the path leading to my front door to discuss reasons for their being on my property.

It may seem a bit over reacting, but typically theft severity is figured by value of the good(s) taken. Depending on the amount of wood and what the value of it would be, the crime could be either a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony. Here in MN, up to $250 in value is a misdemeanor, $250 - $500 is a gross misdemeanor, and over $500 is a felony.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #14
Master Chef

Hey, everyone has to unload every now and then. I enjoyed reading about it... consider it theraputic... for both the venter and ventee!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Thanks everyone,
I was angry, but, I'm over it. I've lived out here 35 years and this is the only neighbor, I stay away from. I was always quiet and very shy as a kid, but once I had my own kids, I had to learn to be their protector and champion as did their dad. My dh is very mild mannered and had he been here I can tell you what would have happened..He would have helped her load her pick up and then ask if she needed help unloading The only time he really fires up is if someone picks on one of his kids or me. This will not happen again, I promised myself that today. I think she knows how I feel now and I should have done this a long time ago. I made it clear also I'd better not get anymore opened old mail either or I would report them. Out here in the country, we learned that you don't go plodding through the almond,walnuts,grapes, peaches for anything except a lost child or animal and you always ask,seems to me, that's only fair and good neighbors will respect you for obeying that unwritten rule.They will also, be right there if you need them..Then you have the neighbor who behaves like this and it really throws you. Hopefully I was heard and it won't happen again..Sorry I dumped this in your laps, but I had to get it out and off my back. Thanks,
kadesma
You know, most of the people I've ever respected the most are people like your DH. I've never figured out how to be that way, but I've always wanted to. I figure you're the same as me, and this is why you're asking. These people are special, and I think you have to be born this way. When they're nice, people listen. When they're really mad, people listen all the harder.

Please let me know if you figure it out.

Kelly
Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hey CJ, don't get mad, get even... just go over to their garden and help yourself to whatever you fancy!!
Maybe then they may understand how it feels!!

Anyway you have done a right thing to vent it here... there are occasions when you really need to do it, and we are always here for support...

(((Hugs)))
Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #17
Master Chef

I would have done the exact same thing, kads. If they ever confront you and give you a hard time about it, tell them they're lucky you were nice enough to not call the police--which you'll do the next time.

I'm sorry you had to have such a disappointint experience--things like this shouldn't happen to good people like you. DH and I were just lamenting the fact that we don't have any nice, helpful neighbors. We moved into a neighborhood from the country so we could be part of a community, especially with Sofie here now. It's a shame there are so many thoughtless peope around.

Imagine what a nice neighborhood it would be if all of us DC folks could live near one another!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #18
Master Chef

Let's see, on my land, no permission, taking my property........ DH, get the gun!!!!!

I'm glad that you caught them this time. If I were you, would keep a close eye on the idiots and I would file a report with the police so that it is on record in case they decide you need help again.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #19
Master Chef

You go girl! I'd have been on'em like ugly on an ape! There is no limit to what people will do if they can get away with it.

I can be pretty formidable when need be. And if my husband is here...let's just say one look from him is enough to make the rifraf scatter.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:37 PM   #20
Everymom

Kadesma, sounds like most everyone would have done what you did. (GUNS??? EEK!!) I think you were absolutely right. I live in the city so I would have gone out with my phone in hand whilst screaming obscenities. You did just right. THEY were the ones who were not being neighbourly not you. Next time take a bat with you. And kadesma....ATTA GIRL!

Closed Thread