"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Ankle weights can ruin your knees if you want to use weights try a small back pack with a little bit of weight and see how it feels

Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #12
Senior Cook

If your looking to make it more strenuous or give your workout a tweak just try to walk faster... once your pulse is up it increases you metabolism. Just try not to eat for about 30 min after your walk or it slows down you pulse and metabolism again so your not getting the full benefit... PS I have to get a life... tooo much dieting right now lol.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
If your looking to make it more strenuous or give your workout a tweak just try to walk faster... once your pulse is up it increases you metabolism. Just try not to eat for about 30 min after your walk or it slows down you pulse and metabolism again so your not getting the full benefit... PS I have to get a life... tooo much dieting right now lol.
Now I didn't know that little tidbit of info. I'm not sure how I would get around it, since I don't like to eat before my lunch time walk, since it seems to slow me down. By the time I get back from my walk, I'm pretty hungry, so I eat my sandwich at that time. I'm going to have to think about this.

BC
Old 06-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Thank you THANK YOU

I sure needed to read all of your comments today. A BIG THANK YOU! My walk was so great. No one insulted me or honked their horn to get me out of way! I just felt so good to know I SHOULD be doing what I was doing. No weights of any kind and I tried to increase the pace a bit and didn't notice any stress of any kind. See what kind words do? I do appreciate them. Also must tell you I had to go to doctor for regular visit and the nurse told me I had lost weight. No other comment. Than when the doctor sees me instead of him telling me to try to get weight down he didn't say anything. I wondered if when you do what they tell you to do does that make them disappointed that they can't hurt your feelings? This was really on my mind due to the fact that is what I always hear. I am just going to continue to try to keep doing what I am doing and not listen to people around me. I find you people are so understanding and don't hurt my feelings. What a gift! I hope the same for all of you. I just can't believe that these people are suppoed to be people I care about and they only want me to care for them! It goes both ways I hope. Thank you all again. I may have to read this thread each morning before I attempt to do anything for myself. I depend on all of you, thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook

AWESOME!!! WAY TO GO!!! I know how discouraging it can be while trying to lose weight. I'm doing weight watchers (without actually joining lol) and know how important recognition and support can be. I've been going a month and have lost 20 lbs (a whole lot more to go though *sigh) and got a nice pick me up when my grandmother told me my face looks thinner, and my father, who I see rarely, told my mom he thought I lost weight... He doesn't even know I'm dieting. If your ever wanting to talk about the ups and downs, I'm definately here for you, in an online kinda way. Just yesterday I spent over 5 hours making a menu for most of the fast food places in town with meals I can eat with point values for those meals... I've tried so many diets I'm full of useless info lol. I'm really glad to hear its all working for you. Congrats!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Trip

Congrats to you! 20lbs! Geez, that is good! At least your loved ones do comment. I am hoping your success will continue and it is all due to your det ermination and committment. You just have to continue to do, and do and do for the rest of your life knowing it is something for you. I am so happy to hear this about your personal success. Just knowing you did on your own. WOW! My one son has friend who joined the Watchers and was unbelieveable what a difference. Following year he had it all back again. We were so sorry and I know he doesn't feel good about it either. It is const ant battle that you must achieve on your own. That is why having this support like this is a blessing to me. Just having someone say 'you'll make it and don't give up'. That is what motivated me this morning. What a beautiful feeling. I felt as everyone noticed it too. My own thoughts. I wasn't even bothered with the durn gnats that fly up my nose or in my mouth. I wonder where they were? 20lbs. Let the world know you are winning by continuing to follow your program. Truly Amazing. And it is all possible. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I hear ya, its all about a plan you can maintain. It has to be a life decision. I just don't want my future kids to have the same problems I have. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Why?

WHY? WHY? WHY? Why do people have to be so ignorant when they know you are attempting to better yourself and make progress in your life? Everyone advises people to exercise. When you do, I can only assume they are jealous of your incentive to change. Since I have been walking regularly a neighbor told me she sees me walking around and wonders how I can allow for the time? (I don't think she should smoke either but I sure wouldn't say it) Two women who walk on trail asked my reason for walking? Do these people deserve an answer? I TRY to tolerate people. I am guilty of thinking things I am not proud of but to make direct comments to the individual is painful. I came home not feeling good about the effort but resentful and disgusted. I am not hurting anyone. As others have said I DESERVE some time myself. I wear a iPod hoping to avoid this kind of problem. Guess I have to turn the volume up.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I hear ya and I think the vast majority of people are born envious. My dad, who I love dearly, is one of those diet sabotours... moms dieting, he's bringing home dairy queen... hubby used to be like that but explained that with added weight comes self conciousness... with self conciousness comes lack of sufficient confidence to... uh... "indulge" in certain marital activities... when you have to bribe people to allow you to do something that is necessary for your health you realize how odd peoples behaviour is. I would just get some good music, and if someone comments, pretend you can't hear them... think to yourself "Oh well, my clothes will be too small for THEM to borrow.. lol" sounds catty but so's what they are doing. My best friend with whom I exchange clothes started out with the sabortouring, but we have since joined forces... husbands, other friends and family have desisted... they know they have no chance against our joined forces. One or two positive influences can out weight dozens of negative influences... trust me. Keep slogging along, if you need an incentive check out some clothes in a catalog you think you will look great in when you acheive your goal and promise yourself you will buy some... Above all else, recognize their sour grapes for what they are... you're better then that!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Encourged

Thanks Trip for reading my complaints. I just love the picture of your little dog. If anything will change my mood it is seeing that. Funny t hing you mention catty. Exactly what I heard when traffic going by someone making noise like a cat today. Don't know why all this hatred has to start just when I am getting going. Like you said turn the music up and drown them out. Some guy yelled something from his truck and I couldn't hear because of traffic and music. Those are the kind I like. Ones I can't hear. Well you sound like you got your forces going the right way. It does take more than one to fight this battle. Your poor mom. Has to refuse Dairy Queen! My weakness is lemonade w/drink of vodka in it to indulge myself. Now I found out contains calories too. I always thought vodka made from potatoes. As long as I don't overdo I will maintain my goals.

Hope you will reach the top of your goal and maintain it. Daily battle.