"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Hi all,

Sushi - that was hillarious it made me think of John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever

Greens of all sorts are really popular in Italy everything from kale to thistles (aka nettles - the poison is banished with proper cooking). Here is a super easy spinach recipe that I often multiply for larger crowds.

Spinach with pine nuts
This is a lovely little side dish to go with endless things, it’s largely an Italian dish and is simplicity itself.

6 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed, cleaned and dried as much as possible

1/3 cup pine nuts (pre-shelled)

a pinch of nutmeg

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (both optional)

a drizzle of good quality olive oil

To begin heat a few drops of the olive oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium-low heat (or just plain low if your stovetop veers more towards molten hot than icy cold), or coat the pan well with a shot of Pam spray. Allow heating for a moment or two and then add in the pine nuts. Watch them like a hawk, they can burn instantly, you want a “just there” hint of gold, not campfire marshmallow black. Stir often until the desired colour is reached and then transfer to an uncovered bowl.

Next (or meanwhile) steam the spinach in a steamer insert or one of those petal steamers that unfold and expand, over a pot of boiling water (but not enough water to actually touch the bottom of the steamer). Cover and steam for a couple of minutes you want the spinach to be just slightly wilted (not soggy and falling apart).

Once cooked transfer the spinach to a mixing bowl and season it to taste with the nutmeg, salt and pepper. Divide between four individual bowls (or more if you are serving it as one of many side dishes), drizzle with a little olive oil (if you want) and toss over the toasted pine nuts.

This can also be stirred through a pot of cooked pasta; I like something like farfalle or even buckwheat noodles. The option of sprinkling a little Parmesan is entirely up to you. Should you have any spinach left over, it is divine – pine nuts and all – baked on a pizza crust or used as a sandwich filler. Enjoy!

Serves 4 as a side dish

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
As soon as I started dating my husband I tried to learn as much as I could about Italian cooking and culture, one of the neatest websites I encountered is "Italiansrus.com". It has a very decent sized collection of recipes - oh and you can swing by the online store and pick-up a "Got Wine?" t-shirt!

http://www.italiansrus.com/resources/famousitalians.htm

As one would gather from the name it is a thesaurus of all things Italian

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thank You guys!
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thank You guys! LOL! And..... yes. I have combed my chest hair before. No.... im not a gorilla. Just want to look good.
Sushi, from the pictures that I have seen you don't look like a gorilla. Thanks for the good laugh.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks for the recipes guys. Icadvisor......I'll def. check out the site.

Sush!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #16
Contest Winner

Wink

SizzlininIn!

One question do I win a prize if I am ?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
Master Chef

Sure thing Maidrite....... the warm fuzzy feeling you'll get by forking over some of those secret family recipes