Aside from cooking, what will you be doing for Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Almost all of us have talked about what we'll be cooking but how will you be spending this upcoming holiday?

On Christmas eve, we'll probably decorate the tree. With these kids, it's best not to have the xmas tree up for longer than a couple days. That night I'll be making hearts of romaine with a maytag bleu cheese dressing (it will be delicious! there are about 15 things in that dressing-buttermilk, goat cheese, oj, mint, basil-to name a few ingredients), chile kahlua pecans and sliced pear.

After the kids are down, I'll put the gifts out and head to bed (easier said than done).

The next morning, Aidan will probably start opening presents before waking us up. :LOL: Then I'll make dutch babies for breakfast. We'll spend the day at home and I'll cook a great meal (hopefully). Then we'll stuff ourselves silly! Go for a walk and come back home to eat dessert.

The following day, I'm gonna make green chile stew with the leftover pork. That will be tasty tasty!

Christmas Eve I'll prepare some of the dishes for Christmas Dinner. Later we'll all find a comfortable spot and settle in to watch movies, all the while stuffing our face with appetizers I'll make. We each open 1 gift.

Christmas morning we'll be woken by our youngest and we'll all get up and open our presents. I'll start in preparing dinner. After we eat I'll sit down an watch "The Homecoming" (The Waltons). Not sure if I'll be able to talk anyone into watching it with me though. This was something my mom and I always did together. We'll eat way too much off and on throughout the day and nap here and there.

I will be attending midnight mass at the catholic church on Christmas Eve. The choir will be singing nice Christmas hymns and then to the orthodox mass in the early morning of Christmas Day at the church near the family home. Then it's breakfast with Christopsomo and fruit cake followed by a sumptuous lunch prepared by mil with yours truly chipping in to help. All desserts such as traditional bread, cookies, cakes etc to be given as gifts for relatives and friends as well as for consumption during the big feast are undertaken by me. I have done most of the baking except for the bread and the yule log cake which I will leave till the end. A close family friend will be spending his holidays with us so we will be kept busy entertaining him and spending some time with him. Of course there will be the usual exchange of presents which is done on new year's day but we have decided to do it on Christmas instead. New Year's Day is St Basil to the Greeks which is Santa Claus to the rest of the world.

DS and DIL will fly up from FL on Saturday. They'll spend Christmas Eve at her parents' place in North Jersey, culminating in a traditional Italian Christmas Eve dinner. DW and I will go to 9:00 AM Christmas Eve mass and a 4:00 PM Christmas children's service. DS and DIL will drive down to the Jersey Shore on Monday morning to celebrate Christmas Day with us. We don't know how hungry they'll be so we have several easy-to-fix choices on tap. Breakfast on Tuesday will be at a local café that we all like and then they're off to the airport. If the weather cooperates, DW and I will drive down to Long Beach Island for our traditional walk on the beach.

Our son and his family are coming in tonight or tomorrow so we are very excited about that. I've already made several goodies and bought cookie mixes for the kids to do with me. I even bought some of the cookies that are just taken apart and baked for the 3 yr old. He will probably eat the dough. We have services Sunday morning, Christmas Eve, but no candlelight service this year. I will really miss that. We are also having brunch at church, but I don't think we will stay for that. It could be messy with 4 children. Our grandson who is at his father's for Christmas called us today and that was really sweet. He was helping his other grandmother make cookies. He sounded a bit lonesome. This Christmas will be a bit lonesome for his mother, but she will probably be here most of the time so we will try to keep her happy. I'm going to look now for a recipe for peppermint bark. I've never made it, but hear it isn't too hard to manage.

Shopping, to accommodate a shopaholic SIL. The woman lives in Tennessee and knows how to get to every mall in my area.

I'd rather sit on the couch in my comfy pants and watch "Love Actually" and "White Christmas" and down a couple gallons of eggnog. Maybe go get some discounted cards and wrappping paper later.

Dear kid sister is coming up from VA Bch on the 27th with my nephews to spend the night. We will probably go out to see the Festival of Lights - a drive-through Christmas light extravaganza they put on every year in a local park.

It'll just be Buck and me...and all our kitty cats. We don't open gifts on Christmas Eve. Save that for Christmas morning. Christmas Eve will be quiet. Probably watch some television. I've already done most of what needs to be done for Christmas dinner so I can just slide easily into Christmas day.

I've planned a nice breakfast bread pudding for Christmas morning from Emeril that we'll have before retiring to the family room for present opening. We have refined the "art" of opening gifts on Christmas morning and have been known to take 3 hours to open goodies for just the two of us. Of course, it doesn't hurt that, while we open our packages, we're sipping bourbon and ginger ale. A local radio station always plays uninterrupted Christmas music from Christmas Eve through late Christmas morning, so we have that on softly. I may not even get out of my jammies all day.

When it's all said and done, the floor is covered with torn paper, snarls of ribbons and boxes filled with cats claiming a spot of their own. They get gifts, too, but I think they enjoy the boxes and paper more. A whole lot like children.

Sometime during the day there'll be several phone calls from our children and grandchildren, which rounds out an always wonderful holiday. I'm like a child when it comes to Christmas. I love it and can't wait to see what Santa has for me. I don't have much longer to wait.

What a nice thread!

Christmas eve as per Italian tradition is usually bigger than christmas day. I've got guests coming for dinner: Lou ( my boyfriend), Mark & Coco (my kids), Ivan and Blair (my husband and his girlfriend), Neil & Gordon (her husband and his boyfriend) Kenneth (girlfriend/husband's son) and Dr. Dave. (friend). We have cheese and breads with eggnog in the parlor before dinner. Dinner is about 4 courses. After dinner, or during a dinner break we'll probably open gifts with those we won't see the next day. Then, more dinner.

Lou and I really enjoy taking a walk after dinner to look at all the christmas lights. (it also gives others the opportunity to clean my kitchen:-p)

I have Lou with me till after breakfast on Christmas morning. Then he has to get back home to celebrate with his own kids. My kids and I will visit at the girlfriends home for Christmas dinner.

More eating, more drinking.

I will be doing no cooking... just eating...
I am going to my Mom's house for dinner...

but i will be doing a small casual dinner Christmas eve...

Everyone will be coming to our house on Christmas eve. We will have kind of a potluck supper. I am having a large crockpot of turkey and dressing for sandwiches and another crockpot full of potato soup. Wrapping smokies with bacon and cooking them in the oven for an appetizer. My daugher and all of my daughter-in-laws are also bringing dishes to pass.Will be lots of desserts and treats. Should be fun. Afterwards we will open our gifts. I get up early on Christmas day and go to 6:30 mass. After that I'll come home and clean up the house before we go to our son David's home for Christmas brunch. It's all great but I am still sad that our oldest son Dan won't be able to be with us. I am sure that you understand how I feel. God Bless you all and Merry Christmas.

mudbug said:
I'd rather sit on the couch in my comfy pants and watch "Love Actually" and "White Christmas" and down a couple gallons of eggnog. Maybe go get some discounted cards and wrappping paper later.
ah, love actually. What a great idea! dh is working overtime tomorrow, so I think I'll spend my evening wrapping gifts and folding laundry while I watch that movie. Thanks for the idea mudbug.
Katie E said:
I've planned a nice breakfast bread pudding for Christmas morning from Emeril that we'll have before retiring to the family room for present opening. We have refined the "art" of opening gifts on Christmas morning and have been known to take 3 hours to open goodies for just the two of us. Of course, it doesn't hurt that, while we open our packages, we're sipping bourbon and ginger ale. A local radio station always plays uninterrupted Christmas music from Christmas Eve through late Christmas morning, so we have that on softly. I may not even get out of my jammies all day.
That sounds like a great way to open gifts! It is a wonderful way to spend the day.
VeraBlue said:
Christmas eve as per Italian tradition is usually bigger than christmas day. I've got guests coming for dinner: Lou ( my boyfriend), Mark & Coco (my kids), Ivan and Blair (my husband and his girlfriend), Neil & Gordon (her husband and his boyfriend) Kenneth (girlfriend/husband's son) and Dr. Dave. (friend). We have cheese and breads with eggnog in the parlor before dinner. Dinner is about 4 courses. After dinner, or during a dinner break we'll probably open gifts with those we won't see the next day. Then, more dinner.
That is quite the extended family you have! That is great that you all can get together and enjoy the day!

This is a great post. As for us, now that we spend Christmas Eve with my inlaws who are from Texas instead of the italians (my family) we will be trading in our fish feast for mexican food. We started this tradition a couple of years ago - we go out for mexican food and margaritas. When we come home I prepare mexican hot chocolate and we read stories under the tree. Rumor has it Santa will make an appearance. We then leave cookies, milk and carrots for Santa and Rudolph. After the toddler goes down, we watch "Elf" and eat popcorn. After the teenager goes to down, out come the presents, down go the cookies and milk and the stockings get stuffed. Christmas morning we open stockings first, then off to the tree we go - I will have some monkey bread baking from being prepared the night before (great recipe!). After that, it is time to hit the kitchen, which will be a big pot of gravy filled with meatballs, sausage, braciolle. I am planning a good antipasto platter for appetizers. Sister and I always enjoy stuffing shells together, we eat as much as we stuff, by dinner we are stuffed. By the time everyone goes home, time has flown too fast.

Katie E said:
It'll just be Buck and me...and all our kitty cats. We don't open gifts on Christmas Eve. Save that for Christmas morning. Christmas Eve will be quiet. Probably watch some television. I've already done most of what needs to be done for Christmas dinner so I can just slide easily into Christmas day.

When it's all said and done, the floor is covered with torn paper, snarls of ribbons and boxes filled with cats claiming a spot of their own. They get gifts, too, but I think they enjoy the boxes and paper more. A whole lot like children.

Sometime during the day there'll be several phone calls from our children and grandchildren, which rounds out an always wonderful holiday. I'm like a child when it comes to Christmas. I love it and can't wait to see what Santa has for me. I don't have much longer to wait.
Loved your thread, thank you for sharing- "Merry Christmas to you both" !

Wish I could spend an hour with each of you, Love traditions and family ! God Bless you All !! Have a Great Christmas, making more memories!

Our Christmas will be filled with smells of long ago when our Puerto Rican grandmother would cook all day for the evening meal. All the aunties would be helping and the kitchen would be filled with music, dancing, laughter, the wonderful aroma of Puerto Rican dishes. My cousins and I would dash in and out of the kitchen to get a little taste of this and that. I dearly miss those days, and my grandmother. Like grandma's house, we have our celebration on Christmas eve and it's always at my house. My mom usually makes the Puerto Rican dishes and there's a mish mosh of other dishes like sushi, ham and potato salad. We gather in my gazebo because the weather is so nice and the yard is filled with lights. Family, friends, good food and lots of presents, but most of all, thoughts of the Christ child so long ago.

Mele Kaliki Maka

We will have lots of family come over on Christmas Eve Day for a potluck lunch. We usually spend the day eating and talking and just being together. Our family has gotten so big (and extended) that we don't do presents except for immediate family. At the end of the day I'm thankful to have spent time with family and thankful to see them go home.:)

Christmas Eve is always a buffet with each kid picking someting and good ol Ma making it:LOL: To honor my dad there will be avocado dip with either foccacia or sliced french bread to spread it on, a very large anti-pasto try with all typed of Italian meats and cheeses, plus peppers, marinated mushrooms, pickles, all kinds of olives, My sister has requested clam dip and chips, my oldest son meat balls and a dunking sauce,fondue was my mom's favorite so that is included, A large platter of shrimp and cocktail sauce for my grand daughters Alyssa and Gianna and my son Mike, Melon wrapped in proscuitto for my son in law, Cade, Carson and Ethan, will be far to excited to eat much but have requested, cookies, candies and ice cream:LOL: Olivia, said MILK :ROFLMAO: There will be smoked salmon and crackers, my oother son in law asked for pigs in a blanket sooo we have a few of those as well.
Christmas day is prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes,sauteed mushrooms, artichokes, salad, home made rolls and what I call a bee hive, which is just a very large cream puff sliced through the center filled with whipped cream and topped with melted cocolate and a dusting of powdered sugar, I make 3 of these..and that's about it...As I said in another thread, the best part is the little guys as they play and run to me and ask when do we get a pesent Ma? That and their hugs and kisses and thank yous are like silver bells ringing through the house.
kadesma;)

On Christmas eve I usually have my family and their GF or BF over for dinner then we exchange our gifts. I also let the kids open one present from me. We watch TV and just enjoy being together. This is the first year in over 10 years that things will be different. My mom is not doing well so we decided to just do Christmas day at my cousins. So on Christmas Eve I will pick up my ex husband so that we can be together and share the holiday with the kids. Even though we are no longer married my ex has always spent the night so that we could all wake up and both see the kids open their presents. We did not do this for the last two years due to the animosty between my Ex and my SO. But this year we have decided to go back to sharing the holiday as a family - After all he is their Dad and with the scare we had of almost losing our son we realize that you never know what may happen and appreciate the time we do have with them. My SO is going to his familys house for Christmas and to his ex GF"s for New Years..Since I was not invited I am going out on my own or throwing a party for a few friends here at the house since I will not have my kids over winter break. If anyone has room for an extra guest on New Years let me know - lol -

Last edited:
absolutely nothing here in way of people over, my remaining family here like to be left alone on xmas eve/day, the FIL will be out with his friends and my MIL will be staying with her brother.
so just me my daughter and wife here.
I spend most of my day in and out of the kitchen so I`m invariably busy (but I love it).
beyond that it`ll be almost like any other day, just at a slower pace, i`ll probably be doing some work to keep me occupied (which is also ok as I enjoy my work too).
However, IF Santa got my letter, and we DO get snow.... :))

lets just say there`ll be Very little work done!

Back
Top Bottom