"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Einstein said if we lost bees, mankind would be gone in 4 years. No pollination, no plants. No plants, no feed for animals/humans. No feed for animals, no animals to eat. No animals or plants to eat....and you are looking at the very real prospect of soylent green.

It's quite possible the fish could survive. Mayhaps we all should start thinking about gills and plankton.
That may not even be suitable anymore.. they have been talking about the levels of plankton dropping at alarming rates. What the heck is going on????

Old 05-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Head Chef

It was probably the product and method that was used to get rid of the killer bees back in the 80's or 90's. The exterminator told me that his chemicals might not actually kill the bugs but that it would cause them not to nest or breed and they would die off.
Even with the cooler temperatures, we have more than our fair share of bees already this year. Maybe they are just migrating to greener places.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

To be honest, this was all news to me reading through here! I'll be honest, I had a hive in my attic and I gassed the little guys right out, so I guess I'm part of the problem :P Interesting quotes from Einstein too, its funny the little things that make the big things possible

…only need Relastin until I learn Photoshop
michen_122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie
That may not even be suitable anymore.. they have been talking about the levels of plankton dropping at alarming rates. What the heck is going on????
Perhaps even the fish are on the same 'supersize me' diet as a lot of the world, too...?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Einstein said if we lost bees, mankind would be gone in 4 years. No pollination, no plants. No plants, no feed for animals/humans. No feed for animals, no animals to eat. No animals or plants to eat....and you are looking at the very real prospect of soylent green.

It's quite possible the fish could survive. Mayhaps we all should start thinking about gills and plankton.
Thanks for reassuring me that what I quoted about Einstein was correct. My brother tells me so many things that he reads or hears that I sometimes get all the info correct. Since you have knowledge of Einstein saying this I feel better.

Since I brought up this topic, I took the time to attend a local Bee Meeting here. They all seemed to avoid discussing this and most of them felt it was a 'wait and see attitude'. People who are interested in beekeeping are of a different mindset the norm. They have a kind of thinking to preserve rather than change. I would like to have bees if I had the space. That is what most of them aim for. Lot of them had the hives located on open areas until they would own some land.

I thank you all for your attention to this thread. As I said, if it takes only one maybe we can be that one! I sure think we have to.