Birthday Dinners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NAchef

Sous Chef
I have a question for everyone and would like your feedback!

Groing up, whenever one of my sisters, myself or my parents had a birthday party we would always have a dinner for the guests (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) It was not the whole family but generally 10-20 people max.

I have continude this with my family (My wifes family only has cake and ice cream so this was a HUGE change for her)

Anyway, last January we had a party for my son and wife on the same day (since there Bdays were very close) I ended up cooking a turkey dinner, very similar to "Thanksgiving"

Long story short, do any of you feed your guests on birthdays or special occasions or is it cake & ice cream?

Just wondering if I have the oddball family or if she does? :ROFLMAO: ;) :ROFLMAO: ;)

I go out for birthdays. Birthday person gets what ever he asks for including his favorite dessert.

lol, are you near the great salt lake? i just made the connection with your name.

when i was growing up, mom always made the dinner that you like the best, and a cake and candles followed.

if it were a special birthday, or if realtives were visiting for whatever reason, a little more of the special meal that you speak of was made. screw you if you didn't want it, i guess, lol.

j/k. everything my mom made was good, so it didn't matter. and i was just excited to see my relatives and enlist their services torturing my older sisters.

in my adult life, our tradition (realy, lack thereof) has been to go out to dinner to a place of the guest of honors choosing. unless it's my birthday, where my wife shoots down most of my first 7 or 8 choices. :neutral: then we go out.

We aren't a big family, just my mum, my brother, his wife, their three girls and me, so we go out to lunch or dinner. Usually it's just my mum and I doing this as my brother and his family don't live in Perth, but they join us if they are here. The kids have birthday parties still but my brother entertains for his wife's birthday and often for his own as well. Those meals are just with friends invited and tend towards the gourmet dishes. Sometimes mum goes down to them for one of the birthdays but mainly the kids' ones. I used to but haven't done so in years.

Mum and I go out and "celebrate" her wedding anniversary, dad's birthday and the anniversary of his death as well. We always try to go to a good restaurant for the special occasions, often involving seafood.

When I was a kid, we used to have all the extended family over - grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins - and it would be a buffet type meal. We didn't do this for dad though. None of his family were in Australia so it was just a quiet dinner at home. Not elaborate but the good cutlery and crockery would appear on the good tablecloth!

from your avatar, i'm assuming there's a miniwoman.

you are lucky (albeit in a small way... ;))

lol, are you near the great salt lake? i just made the connection with your name.

when i was growing up, mom always made the dinner that you like the best, and a cake and candles followed.

if it were a special birthday, or if realtives were visiting for whatever reason, a little more of the special meal that you speak of was made. screw you if you didn't want it, i guess, lol.

j/k. everything my mom made was good, so it didn't matter. and i was just excited to see my relatives and enlist their services torturing my older sisters.

in my adult life, our tradition (realy, lack thereof) has been to go out to dinner to a place of the guest of honors choosing. unless it's my birthday, where my wife shoots down most of my first 7 or 8 choices. :neutral: then we go out.

I live in Stansbury Park which is about 4-5 miles from the Great Salt Lake.

Here is a pic I took late last year on the shore of the lake.

5 min. exposure
1896154425_460fc29d2c_b.jpg

And the family with the Saltaire in the background.

1866234119_681862de42_b.jpg

umm, the first picture looks like autdot's old neighborhood. that's utah?

nice family, though, congrats.

does everyone drive really fast near you? (in straight lines, of course... ;))

The first pic is abot 3/4 mile from the second pic.

Not sure about the "driving fast" near me means. Could it be I-80 that is a straight shot to Nevada? Miller Motor Sports Park is 7 min. from my house but thats not a straight raceway by any means! The Salt Flats are about 1 hr. 20 min. it is basically on the border of Utah and Nevada.

Anywho -- when I was growing up, like so many others, the birthday person got to have whatever they wanted for dinner. We usually went out. I always wanted steak, my sister always wanted Alaskan king crab legs - unusual for a young child. I don't remember what my brother wanted.

DH takes me out for my birthday. I make my annual lasagna for his - he absolutely loves it, but since it weighs about 7 or 8 pounds (4 lbs. of cheese, 1 lb. of Italian sausage, 1 lb. of rehydrated pasta, and sauce), and takes all day to make, and there is only the two of us to eat it, I don't make it very often, so it's very special to him.

Anywho -- when I was growing up, like so many others, the birthday person got to have whatever they wanted for dinner. We usually went out. I always wanted steak, my sister always wanted Alaskan king crab legs - unusual for a young child. I don't remember what my brother wanted.

DH takes me out for my birthday. I make my annual lasagna for his - he absolutely loves it, but since it weighs about 7 or 8 pounds (4 lbs. of cheese, 1 lb. of Italian sausage, 1 lb. of rehydrated pasta, and sauce), and takes all day to make, and there is only the two of us to eat it, I don't make it very often, so it's very special to him.

I would like to know that recipe! Does it also add 7 to 8 pounds to your weight? If so it sounds like my kinda lasagna!! haha

I would like to know that recipe! Does it also add 7 to 8 pounds to your weight? If so it sounds like my kinda lasagna!! haha

Send me a PM and I'll post it. It does add poundage, but since his birthday is in November, I count it as padding up for the winter :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom