Bobby Flay: Why do people hate on him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, Rick is spending so much time on the road and filming TV that he's not in the restaurants much a lot of the time. Same with Emeril; when he's on site, the food rocks; when he's not there, well.

i watched part of that.... i thought it was pretty good. i especially like the shrimp/cilantro pizzas, and the cactus pear margaritas, the margaritas had such a great look to them. He's definitely not my fav. on foodTV, but i think he's fun to watch. he mentioned that your local pizza shops will sell you their dough? Anyone do this, or know if it's true? I would love to make pizza, but i just don't trust mysellf around dough. i always mess it up.

Bobby gets a bum rap because he's a NYer and busts balls alot. That Hot Off the Grill show is where I think it originated from. The show's audience were friends, employees of and purveyors to Bobby's restaurants. Ever see how he talks to the Fish guy or the Meat guy? Ever hear how he bags on Wayne Harley Brachman? It HAS to be guy stuff. Those guys would take Bobby apart if it were real.

The fact of the matter remains that Bobby has been working in kitchens for like 20 years, is trained at the FCI, has multiple shows on TV, is a household name, has a supermodel wife, writes a few cookbooks a year and OWNS more than a few restaurants. Love him or hate him, the dude is at the top of the ladder.

That said, I thought Bayless kicked his ARSE on ICA.

Classic example of home cooking if I ever saw one.

RJ

rj, you are correct about his success. one note tho, his dad was a partner in some restaurants, and got him his first job in a restaurant when he was 17. at some point he got into management; we all know how nepotism works. he supposedly impressed some chef that got him into fci, and (to his credit), he took off from there.
the first show i think i ever saw him on was "grillin and chillin" with some guy named jack macdavid. he was ok on it, so i'll bet a lot of what he appears like on the set today is due to industry people telling him to "act natural", which some people just aren't good with.

college_cook said:
he mentioned that your local pizza shops will sell you their dough? Anyone do this, or know if it's true?
Yes this is usually true. Most pizza places will sell you dough and pretty cheap too. Even chains like Bertuccis (if you have that chain by you) sells their dough. Most supermarkets make their own dough and sell it as well. Both at the pizza places and supermarkets it should only cost a couple of dollars.

I guess I don't have a big problem with Bobby Flay because I'm married to an East Coaster and I'm used to the personality. Let's just say "rough around the edges". I think his shows are good and I enjoy him. His food interests me, but I haven't cooked from any of his recipes yet. He definitely pleases the panel on Iron Chef.

Back
Top Bottom