"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cats, old, adoption

2 yrs. ago, I inhereted my mother's Old Cat..

I miss him quite a bit..

he was fun because.. he was sooo old and slow, he couldn't climb the fence and didn't Play too much, but he would come and sleep with me a Snore Up a Storm..

Can I Adopt an Old Cat like that?

I guess I should go ask the SPCA up the street, but I thought I should ask here first..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh my, Eric. An old cat would love that! Please check out your humane society. Most people want kittens, but older cats and dogs are fantastic pets. Sorry about your loss....

Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Cupcake

AWWWWW! Please go to the shelter and adopt an old kitty. They are often overlooked in favor of cute kittens. Often the shelter will have the background on why the cat is there.

We have two rescue-cats. One is old now. She snores and sleeps on anything warm. She waddles and falls over rather than curls up. Sometimes, she will go over to something and give it a swat, then sleep off the effort for hours. It will devastate us when we lose her.

The other is simply pure meanness. BUT no animal is sweeter when she is hungry. We adore her too.

The second one was a day from perishing. The shelter did not even bother to put her picture on the page as she was too "fussy" to be considered adoptable. They had her in a room that few went with other problematic kitties.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

the only down side to adopting an older cat is that you don't get to have them as long as you would when adopting a kitten.

we've adoted 4 senior cats over the years, and they were all great pets, or should i say members of the family.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the only down side to adopting an older cat is that you don't get to have them as long as you would when adopting a kitten.

we've adoted 4 senior cats over the years, and they were all great pets, or should i say members of the family.
*points to the large, fuzzy lump laying on her power supply* But...but....LOOK HOW CUTE SHE IS! She tries to get her entire mass (which is pretty amoebic at this point) on the power supply. What kitten would have the patience for that?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Like a pair of old shoes she is pretty broken in too...
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've always had "second hand" dogs. Cats live a long time, and senior cats have gotten over the scratching/chewing/etc. They're just happy to have a warm spot, like your lap, to curl up!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Cupcake

Have your second-hand dogs had trouble acclimating to a new place/owner? I do enjoy the fact that dogs are always happy to see you.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen
Have your second-hand dogs had trouble acclimating to a new place/owner? I do enjoy the fact that dogs are always happy to see you.
Never, Kathleen. The current beagle curled up in the back seat of my car on the way to her forever home, and after being home, immediately knew how to "ask" to go out! All my pups have been very appreciative.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

You can Google Austin TX Cat Rescue Groups and see what they have available if you can't find a cat you like in a shelter, but please check the shelters, especially the Kill shelters, first. Rescue groups will keep a cat of any age until they either get adopted or expire. I know because I live with two unadoptable cats, Tyrone Shoelaces and Mr. Spock, that I have had since they were kittens. So if you adopt from a shelter, you could save a life. You might also consider becoming a foster home for rescue group kittens and cats. Since I started fostering in 2002, I have had over 500 cats and kittens go through my house!