Chicken Chronicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In answer to CWS's PS post, I would suggest that our new members take an afternoon and sit down starting with page one of the Chicken Chronicles. This has to be my favorite thread of this whole forum. When one got sick, we all waited to hear if that chick would be all right. How many times we waited to hear about the baby chick who came out of the shell with a bent leg. Would it straighten out on its own? Read the whole thread to find out. And what about Rocky the Riled Rooster? Would he ever let CWS go near one of HIS girls? So many adventures. So many mysteries. Which chicken kept trying to fly the coop? :angel:
I have to say, I am surprised by the number of views of the thread. I love having chickens--who knew they could be so much fun. But I am surprised by how many people check in to see what's up with the flock.

Myrtle's holiday at the farm included following the lawn tractor as I mowed the 1 acre fenced dog yard (there are 50 acres at the farm, 3 acres of which is yard--1 acre fenced for the dogs). I need to get a horn on the lawn tractor. I had to stop and wait for Myrtle to move out of the way. She followed the lawn tractor back to the barn, so she's perched. I think she's enjoying her holiday at the farm.

Baby is tucked under Momma's wing. Every now and again, I hear peeping, but I think they are about ready to go to bed. I'll cover the door of the dog crate with a t-shirt so I can be in the kitchen and not disturb them. Yes, the dog crate is in the kitchen by the side door. Where else would I put it...the bathroom?

I love having chickens and hope that I can bring Myrtle into the nursing home. I think the residents would like being visited by a very gregarious chicken.

Myrtle is such a funny girl. I left the farm yesterday. After loading the car with the veggies from the garden, I had to catch Myrtle. Knowing this, I trapped her in the barn about an hour before I was ready to leave. Not hard to do with a cob of fresh corn....

It was hot and humid yesterday. The two dogs, Momma and baby were already in the car. So I drove the car out to the barn.

"Mrytle--where are you?"
"Coo-coo."
"Are you in the canoe?" ( blue-steak swear word as I bumped my leg on the tractor seat trying to look in the canoe). No Myrtle.
"MYRTLE!"
"Coo-coo-I'm right here."
Finally, I spotted her in the corner, but she did not want to hop on my arm.
"Myrle, please, pretty please, let's go in the car."
"Can I ride shotgun?"
"Yes, you can ride shotgun."
"Will I have to share the spot with that rat-dog you have?"
"No Myrtle, you don't have to share with Tucker."
"Where's he going to ride?"
"On the floor."
"In the front or in the back?"
"Wherever you want him to be."
"In the back."
"Okay, okay."
"Do I get cheese?"
"You can have cheese."
"Bread?"
"You're pushing it."
"Alright." Up she hopped.

On the way home, Myrtle sat on the armrest between the passenger and driver's seat. I dolled out bits of cheese along the way. Between bits of cheese, Myrtle made it clear that she did not appreciate the radio station I'd selected. She prefers talk radio over music. The "rat-dog" rode on the floor in the backseat. I had to make a quick stop to pick up some limes at the grocery store. When I got back to the car (which I'd parked in the shade), Myrtle was on top of Miss Betty White's crate. Myrtle rode the rest of the way home perched on the crate. "The view is much better from here. Are you sure you're not driving too fast? I've never flown this fast. Are we there yet?"

I did get a funny look at the stop sign from the driver going the other way...but hey, she was wearing a winter stocking cap with a pom-pom on it. It was 27C. Who wears a stocking cap in this kind of weather? (She probably was thinking "who drives around with a chicken in their car?").

When we got home, Myrtle hopped out of the car and promptly started eating windfall apples.

I don't know, but I think Myrtle enjoyed her adventure (I know she enjoyed the cheese). And no, she didn't poop in the car. She knows better than to do that. Who knew having chickens was so much fun?

Last edited:
I see a children's book starting to form or perhaps a self help book for big chickens.

How's her typing? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I see a children's book starting to form or perhaps a self help book for big chickens.

How's her typing? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
When I got to the farm on Friday, the first thing the DH said was "Did you bring layer mash for her?" How stupid does he think I am? Of course I brought layer mash (and a chicken waterer) for Myrtle.

Myrtle's typing is probably as accurate as her ability to switch radio stations. Once she figures out what the buttons do, she's pretty good at it!

Last edited:
You guys are egging me on....Myrtle is happy to be home...a bit tired after her holiday, but she's been bossing the littles around, so I guess she wasn't too tired.

Myrtle and the others in the yard hear a clanging.

Myrtle: "What is that?"

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

So long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehen,
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye,
Good bye

National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences - Kids Pages - So Long, Farewell (from "The Sound of Music")

Myrtle--oh-oh, Addie, PF, and the others will miss us, but our time has come, to simply say good-byyyyyyye.

Myrtle and the others in the yard hear a clanging.

Myrtle: "What is that?"

So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, good night,
I hate to go and leave this pretty sight.
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, adieu,
Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and yieu.

So long, farewell, Au'voir, auf wiedersehen,
I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne
So long, farewell, Auf wiedersehen, goodbye,
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye,
Good bye

National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences - Kids Pages - So Long, Farewell (from "The Sound of Music")

Myrtle--oh-oh, Addie, PF, and the others will miss us, but our time has come, to simply say good-byyyyyyye.

:unhappy: :angry: Oh no! My heart is broken. I love you Mrytle, Eggatha and all you other girls. Don't forget me. I am your biggest fan! Please don't leave me. :angel:

For sure I'm going back to bed, now. And put my pillow over my head.
Pssst--PF, take that chicken feather pillow off you head. I've convinced the Big Chicken to stay on DC--how else could I be a virtual therapy chicken?] Funny thing happened the other day--The Big Chicken's Daddy (or would be her rooster?]) called her and left a message telling her that her Momma wanted to know how my job as a therapy chicken was working out. The Big Chicken called her Daddy back and told him that I hadn't actually gotten a flight suit nor was I actually a therapy chicken, but on DC, I was the virtual therapy chicken and that there were 37 or so pages of stories about me and the lesser hens. I think I saw tear in the Big Chicken's eye--she'd told her Momma (who has dementia...call it what you want) the week before that she hoped I could be a therapy chicken to go and visit people with Alzheimer's at the local nursing home but that the department of health is concerned I would pass AVIAN flu to the patients--excuse me! I take dirt baths every day!

The Big Chicken was happy that her Momma remembered that conversation.

It's really late for me to be up, but it's been really hot and humid--the Big Chicken felt sorry for me and brought me in the house for the night so I could cool off over the A/C vent. She's in the basement and forgot to turn off the computer. Pssst...don't tell her I can type. :angel:

Love,

Myrtle

P.S. I'd like a piece of cheese!

Hi Myrtle! Thank you for your kind words and reassurances, you are the best therapy chicken ever. The Department of Health are a bunch of ninnies.

Good to hear that Momma remembered the conversation, it must have meant something special for her to make it a memory. Dementia Stinks, big time!

I have provolone and swiss, which would you like?

Hi Myrtle! Thank you for your kind words and reassurances, you are the best therapy chicken ever. The Department of Health are a bunch of ninnies.

Good to hear that Momma remembered the conversation, it must have meant something special for her to make it a memory. Dementia Stinks, big time!

I have provolone and swiss, which would you like?
SWISS! I can practice my vertical jumping (the chicken version of planking) if I can get my bhieak through one of the holes! Yes! Ummmph! Ummmmph! I hate planking! More cheese, please!

Big Chicken says that we've helped her deal with her Momma's dementia...she always says "who knew having chickens was so much fun!" (But I know that I'm her favourite!)

Last edited:
Goodnight, my sweet feathery friend. I'm off to bed and you should get some tucked head, too!

I am so sorry that your not going to be able to be a Therapy Chicken. Those silly people don't know the harm they may be doing to the elderly folks. But not to worry. You keep my heart beating everyday looking forward to hearing from you. And think of the joy you have already brought to Big Chicken's Momma.

And your secret of being able to type is safe with us here on DC. I don't think Big Chicken appreciates you enough and your talents. Take care Myrtle. We all love you.

Psst! You will find your cheese on the lowest shelf in the fridge. Can you open the door without any help? :angel:

Coo-coo--got it Addie. And, although "THEY" won't let me be a therapy chicken, I'm here for you as a virtual therapy chicken. Been here all along, it just took the Big Chicken awhile to twig to the idea I am a therapy chicken. She thought all I was good for was laying eggs--and I did (and still do--once in awhile) lay good eggs.

Love,
Myrtle

Back
Top Bottom