"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #381
Chef Extraordinaire

The leg seems to be better--it is compensating. We plan on having two flocks--one at the farm, one here. One of the roosters will stay here, Rocky will go to the farm. I can't handle his aggression. Any other roosters will either be given away or have to be processed for the freezer.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #382
Senior Cook

I am enjoying reading your chicken posts, and I live on a country road with a few neighbours who have chickens. One is a single woman, works in town, keeps her chickens (and this morn as I was walking by for my 6:30AM jaunt, I heard a rooster crow in that tiny building). It seems too small a building for chickens....must go visit her someday, if/when I see her car home....ask if I can see their quarters.

Not that I'd know anything about what a chicken needs to be happy!.... but that rooster didn't sound happy this morning, quite a lame cock-a-doodle sound....almost pathetic. And it's hot today, and I see no windows in that coop, perhaps there are some on the far, non-road side.

any tips? Should I bother or would that be interfering?

I'm....trying harder to just let people do their own thing these days....old women (I just turned 65) and their opinions are less and less welcomed, I'm finding. Practicing zipper-mouth.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #383
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh--this is a very hard post to write. Gertie is no longer with us--a fox got her while I was in the City on Monday. I miss her so--she would come to the door to ask for cheese every day around 2:30 p.m. I feel so guilty for not locking them up--but they've been free-ranging for over a year, coming in at night, no predators. Now that they are in the City, predators come out during the day so when I'm not home, they have to be locked up--they are not happy. I miss Gertie. She was one of the 6 that came out to the farm with me just over a week ago.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #384
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh no! That's so sad, CWS.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #385
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah--broke my heart. I know one has to expect predators to get one's chickens or disease. I took such care of them....I have a live trap out, I leave Cliff, the dog, in the yard at night and during the day--he really isn't a guard dog, and wants to be in the house--I have a hairdresser friend saving hair, I have checked the fence--unfortunately, foxes can jump 8 ft and the fence is 6 ft...I can't afford to install electric fence x 6 strands and I really don't want to put the hens in an enclosed area with a top and a bottom--it would have to be small--or keep them locked up 24x7--they are used to roaming around the yard. But, I don't want to lose them either. I've inspected the fence and blocked every spot that is more than 2" high (the ground is not even, so there are places where the fence doesn't reach the ground). I don't know what else to do. The DH is peeing around the perimeter when he is there. How lovely--I hope the neighbours don't complain.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #386
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh no, poor Gertie. So sorry CWS!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #387
Senior Cook

Awwww....so sad. It's always the good ones that go first....actually, I just remembered that this was a saying of me old Da's: "tis the good who die young'.
Sadly for Dad, he's 86 and still going strong....doesn't feel too good about that, esp since my Mom's passing, a year ago. I think he's now afraid to die...not sure where he'll go.....

but this is condolences for your sweet Gertie; and you who are missing her. When I was grieving my fav cat, Abe (a fisher got him in his 9th year with us), a wise old monk calmed my hurt with words that we can now pray for ALL animals that are at this moment suffering, awaiting slaughter etc.....'

Taking my mind to a larger mass of suffering beings helped me feel a tad better, just a tad.....hope it does you too.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #388
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have heard that adding ammonia to the pee makes it more "potent".
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #389
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have heard that adding ammonia to the pee makes it more "potent".
Yup--doing that too.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #390
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Am wondering if some type of random strobe light would work? You would have to move it around periodically. Also, some variation on a noise maker/siren that beeps periodically? Maybe a recording of a barking dog?

Tags
chicken