"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #671
Chef Extraordinaire

Peep-peep-peep, 8 chicks have hatched so far--more to go. Yes, there is Redson (a RIR rooster) and his hatch mate, Stripey, a RIR x Shaffer cross (very handsome boy). There's one grey and white chick, and the rest are all yellow. We'll see what they grow up to be...I know there are going to be several RIRs, the rest, we'll see. Eggatha is a very good momma. Once I can move them, I'll take pics.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #672
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Gonna make any of the little boy chicks into capons?

Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #673
Chef Extraordinaire

Most likely. I can't have any more roosters.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #674
Chef Extraordinaire

Ya gotta do it soon.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #675
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, right now, I can't tell the boys from the girls. I can only tell them apart when they are about 3-4 weeks old. I will try to sell the "cockerels" on Kijiji before I will send them to freezer camp. It took us 2 years to before we could send Rocky to freezer camp and that was only because the DH had to go to NS because his mom was dieing and his flock (plus roosters) were relocated to the farm because the barn is big enough that they can be there with food and water set up for more than 2-3 days at a time.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #676
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Well, right now, I can't tell the boys from the girls. I can only tell them apart when they are about 3-4 weeks old. I will try to sell the "cockerels" on Kijiji before I will send them to freezer camp. It took us 2 years to before we could send Rocky to freezer camp and that was only because the DH had to go to NS because his mom was dieing and his flock (plus roosters) were relocated to the farm because the barn is big enough that they can be there with food and water set up for more than 2-3 days at a time.
I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #677
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I thought you had to do it within the first few days. I Googled, one place recommended 3-6 months old. I think I was confusing it with something I heard in a documentary. I heard that you can sex chicks when they are a few hours old, but it gets harder after that.
Good luck with that (if you've ever had chicks). I can't seem to find his eminence.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 PM   #678
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Peep-peep-peep, 8 chicks have hatched so far--more to go. Yes, there is Redson (a RIR rooster) and his hatch mate, Stripey, a RIR x Shaffer cross (very handsome boy). There's one grey and white chick, and the rest are all yellow. We'll see what they grow up to be...I know there are going to be several RIRs, the rest, we'll see. Eggatha is a very good momma. Once I can move them, I'll take pics.
Here we go again folks. How many eggs total are in the clutch? This is so exciting. How is Eggatha holding up? Getting her rest, I hope. Are any of the other ladies taking a peak at the new babies? I have always loved the RIRs.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #679
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Most likely. I can't have any more roosters.
It has always been my understanding that the rule is "One rooster to a barnyard." Otherwise you are going to be having fights till blood comes.

Either that then you have to divide the hens into two separate groups.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:33 AM   #680
Chef Extraordinaire

That is the general rule, but these two were "hatch mates" so they are okay together. Stripey is definitely not the boss of the barnyard, but he does have a couple of hens that are his "girls." There were seven more eggs that Eggatha was still waiting on. I isolated her and the babies using a barrier. They had already gone through 1-qt jar of chick starter food when I went to lock everyone up last night. I have these feeders that are inverted quart jars attached to a little feeder thingy. I brought out a 2nd full jar when I locked them up and will fill both up again when I let the adults out in the morning. Chicks eat a LOT. Once I know she's "done" trying to hatch more eggs, I will move momma and the chicks to a brooder so they are isolated. Thankfully at this time of year, momma will provide heat and I don't have to string up lamps.

Addie--you would have loved to have seen the two "eyes" peeking out from momma's feathers at me. Two separate chicks, both checking out the "Big Chicken" when she brought food and water.

These babies will not be raised anything like those that are raised in battery farms. Their momma will be with them until they are able to join the others in the yard. She will teach them how to peck and scratch, how to perch, how to dirt bath, how to hide from threats in the yard, and how to go back in at sundown. She will be followed by these chicks for a good 4-5 months before they declare their independence. The babies will form their own little "mini" flock within the flock.

Tags
chicken