"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Maybe she was buying things they can't get with food stamps/WICA and thought she was doing them a favor buying "treats" for the family. I'm pretty sure in Florida at least you can't get the things bolded, at least you couldn't when DD worked as a teenager at Winn Dixie, which admittedly was around 20 years ago.
Yeah that's probably true.

My biggest beef with the lady (pardon the pun) was her bizarre method of buying the meat products a few days before and freezing them and then letting them thaw for hours sitting around in boxes. While there are 2 fridges sitting there 5 feet away from the distribution area. Nuts.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
her bizarre method of buying the meat products a few days before and freezing them and then letting them thaw for hours sitting around in boxes. While there are 2 fridges sitting there 5 feet away from the distribution area. Nuts.
Ah, she must have British blood. This is a standard method of destroying a nice piece of meat in my mixed Scottish/British family. For safety, of course.

To follow though with that, one should then boil the meat in salt water and, because the resultant monstrosity de cuisine is reduced to the consistency of shoe leather thus fit nearly only to be consumed by stranded sailors contemplating cannibalism as an alternative, it must be 'tenderized' to make it fit for consumption. This means, of course, dousing it with some sort of caustic meat tenderizer, and beating it hardily with a mallet, as if finally expressing the black searing hatred you have for meat in general, this dish in particular, and anyone that dares to eat it. Best served with cabbage and potatoes, boiled in the same water. Garnish with tears.

True story, my first introduction to sous vide cooking was a foodie friend I trusted, who was all into molecular gastronomy etc... Thought that sounded awesome and went to a restaurant with her AND THEY WERE BOILING THE STEAKS. Took them about three martinis to persuade me this was a Completely Different Thing.

Cheers!

TBS

Old 05-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Enjoyable story, ereh!
Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
Senior Cook

It took a while

Lord and Lady, it took me much of a time to see putting meat in boiled water as anything else as the Death of Protein. My Aunt, last Christmas, from the Scottish side, bought me a pressure cooker. I have made the best of what I assume was a prank, given that anytime I put a recipe into it, I am thinking, oh my god, I am boiling food.

For those traumatized by the 'boil all things' problem. I got away with a slow cooker. It led to stews, and stews are a gateway to good cookery.

Achem, when I do whole chicken with lemons and curry in the pressure cooker, I am steaming it, NOT boiling it.

;) winks and nods
TBS
Old 05-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post

Also the food selection is kinda bizarre. It's always a thing of marinara sauce (Prego), no pasta (?), 4 cans of green beans, the thawing out meat items, and then a bunch of junk (soda, potato chips, candy bars (fun size)), 2 cans of soup, 2 liter of tea, maybe a small sack of peanuts.
When I volunteered at the local food bank, they had government issued boxes for families once a week or once a month - I can't remember which - along with the other stuff people could get.

I think it depended on what was available for those boxes, because we'd occasionally have signs saying that eggs weren't available, so there would be extra flour - stuff like that. I always thought the selection on those boxes was really very strange. Prunes were always included.

There wasn't often potato chips and stuff like that, but a lot of businesses donated pastries. When it came time to fill a weekly box, people were asked if they wanted cake or pie.

Now that was in a well-to-do area. The food bank where I live now hardly has anything. Wall-to-wall canned goods (all beans and veggies), soft potatoes, and stale bread. That's about it. People in this city are mostly blue collar and can't afford to give much.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
... Thought that sounded awesome and went to a restaurant with her AND THEY WERE BOILING THE STEAKS. Took them about three martinis to persuade me this was a Completely Different Thing.

Cheers!

TBS
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! BOILING STEAK! SACRILEGE!

Tags
food