"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #31
Master Chef

Today was actually kind of funny. As I said, I'm determined to keep up with the house work rather than going crazy with it when someone is visiting. My husband was supposed to walk the dog for his workout (I'd already been to the gym for mine). I said that when he gets Rosebud out of the house, I'll vacuum. She can be very annoying when I'm vacuuming. Then husband says, he doesn't know how to use the new vacuum. Huh? Let's see now, it works 100% better than the old one, it is self-propelled. You turn it on. That's it. You know what gets to me? That my husband absolutely will not do cleaning if I'm not here to see him do it. I work out for an hour Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. In addition to that I usually run errands; pick up his prescriptions, go to the bank, get groceries, etc. That means 4 days a week I'm not home for a couple or more hours. I don't understand why he won't do whatever housework he's going to do when I'm gone. We've been living together for over 30 years. Does he really think I need to hear the vacuum cleaner or I won't believe he did it?

Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

my new cleaning gal is coming tomorrow. can't wait to have the floors really clean. my craft closet is a full sized closet with sliding doors. right now i can't slide the doors closed. all the clutter is there to be seen. i will get to it. just have to get a burr in my saddle.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's hard to keep up with a full time job and a retiree. Would help oodles if the retiree would help with the cleaning.

If Shrek does not do anything how can he possibly be responsible for making a mess.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My partner has gotten so much better over the years. He hates my vacuum (it's a canister) so we went to the store and he got to pick up a smaller, less complicated vacuum, now he does the majority of the vacuuming. He has friends over on the weekend, so he knows that he needs to pick up and make things look tidy. He takes out the trash.

He isn't great at detail cleaning, dusting etc.. I have to do that. I have to ask him to empty and fill the dishwasher, he'll do it, but sometimes I have to ask twice.

All in all, I think we have a decent system.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If Shrek does not do anything how can he possibly be responsible for making a mess.
Duh! He's an ogre...by definition he is a filthy beast!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My partner has gotten so much better over the years. He hates my vacuum (it's a canister) so we went to the store and he got to pick up a smaller, less complicated vacuum, now he does the majority of the vacuuming. He has friends over on the weekend, so he knows that he needs to pick up and make things look tidy. He takes out the trash.

He isn't great at detail cleaning, dusting etc.. I have to do that. I have to ask him to empty and fill the dishwasher, he'll do it, but sometimes I have to ask twice.

All in all, I think we have a decent system.
I think you have a great system. Better than a lot of women I know.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #37
Master Chef

Reflecting even more on this...my late husband and I had a "division of labor". We married in 1963 and that was pretty common in those days....we always said the day I mowed the lawn he would wash the kitchen floor. It never happened. He was a great guy, but he never washed a dish or cooked the simplest meal. He brought home the bacon, and I cooked it.
I hardly know how to act now with Steve, it's so different. What I enjoy the most is that he insists that he cleans the kitchen, washes the pots and loads the dishwasher after I've cooked. To me that's better than getting a bouquet of roses every day.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #38
Master Chef

I am NOT a pack rat, and I'm the eldest. I think that has more to do with the military lifestyle than my placement in the family pecking order. We never had room for "junque" when I was a child, we certainly didn't have money to ship anything over our allowance. Now I just do not like cluttered surfaces. Not having children does it as well. I mean, it's pretty darned hard to throw away stuff you kids made for you, but seriously, how many Thanksgiving turkey hand print plaques can you find room for? At what point do you remove everything from the fridge and trash it?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I am NOT a pack rat, and I'm the eldest. I think that has more to do with the military lifestyle than my placement in the family pecking order. We never had room for "junque" when I was a child, we certainly didn't have money to ship anything over our allowance. Now I just do not like cluttered surfaces. Not having children does it as well. I mean, it's pretty darned hard to throw away stuff you kids made for you, but seriously, how many Thanksgiving turkey hand print plaques can you find room for? At what point do you remove everything from the fridge and trash it?
You hit my soft spot. I had magnets on my fridge from g'kids when they went to Disneyworld, the Mall of America, etc. They are now married with kids. I cleaned off the fridge a few months back when we had to pull out the fridge to tile in back of it. They never went back on there. Along with a bunch of other stuff. I finally got to see the front of my fridge. And I have never been one to put stuff on top of my fredge. I can't reach it.

I love your spelling of junque. I once saw a sign on a store. "Junque and Anteeks".
Old 02-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #40
Master Chef

Kayelle, that was my parents' marriage to a T. When I married it had to be different because I worked full time for the first decade. No way could I be out of the house 50+ hours/week and also keep it clean and us fed. You'd have to be a masochist to even try. And that's without kids. When we first started out, husband did part of the cooking, almost all the grocery shopping, and part of the cleaning. I do more of it all now; I quit working after our last big move and took on all the jobs. That was a mistake. Every time I take on a new job (it has happened for various reasons) he just assumes it is now my job. Ugh!