Condolences to Dove, her beloved son John passed at 2:40 Nov 13/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John had the transfusions Thursday night and went to see his Dr. friday. Sandie said she had to get into the Nurses face to make her listen. John's breathing has been laboured for the past two weeks. They did X-ray and he is in the hospital with double pnemomia.
Things are schulded to get started on Thursday (at Stanford) if he is Ok then. Tim wil have 4 days of shots that will make him think he has a bad case of the flu...John has an appointment friday and they will stay there I think. Sandie is trying to get her brother to go down and stay with Tim because she has to start work on Monday. I don't know how all this will work out yet. Just have to wait and see.
Marge

Hi Marge, I've been praying all week for things to go well as ya'll start down the road to transplant. I know it's a very tough process and living on the edge wears everyone out. Is there any news?
Peace & Love,
Terry

Sorry Marge, Our posts showed up at the same time. I'm so sorry that John is having this set back. It must be devastating to have him get sick so close to the transplant. I will be praying extra hard for John and Tim and all of you to get through this next set hurdles. I hope, too, that you are able to keep your health up during all this.
Peace & Love,
Terry

Marge,
John is going to overcome this, he's come so far and accepted so much that he won't let this sop him on his road to recovery..He is a fighter and must feel the love of his family and all the unknowns who love him because we love you..Keep fighting John, we care..You to Marge..
kadesma

My DIL sent this today.

Just to update everyone -

John is in Kaiser Hospital in Roseville for observation and treatment of pneumonia. Last night he had a fever of 101.3 and is currently on 3 liters of oxygen. He continues to keep up his fighter attitude.

We finally have a schedule (providing John is well enough). John, Timothy and I are going to Stanford on the evening of August 1st and staying as "outpatients" through 8/8. John will begin his tests and Tim will begin getting Neupogen injections to build up his bone marrow then have his stem cells harvested 8/6, 8/7 and 8/8.

John will be at Stanford Hospital from 8/12 to 8/18 to get ready for his transplant. He will begin his "outpatient" program 8/18 and receive his transplant 8/24. Tim will have a second session of stem cell growth and collection from 8/19-8/24.

John and a caregiver will be living in Palo Alto while he grows a new immune system (approx. 100 days). We will be trying to rotate family members as I am supposed to report to work beginning tomorrow morning...

Love,
Sandie

Sandie has been checking on hotel rooms that have a shuttle bus to Stanford. They are running $180.00 per day. She needs one with a kitchen because John has to eat food prepared in the room. Parking is $ 8 or 9.00 per day so the shuttle is the answer.
The prob. now is both of their credit cards are maxed out..Kaiser will reemburse her up to $100.00 a day IF John is staying in the room and not the hospital. I might have to get a loan on my house ( Paul, please don't send down a lightening bolt) to help pay the bills.
Marge

Marge,
I'm praying that things start to get easier for all of you. You all have endured so very much..Money is a powerful driving force and causes so many hardships lots of times. But the most important thing is that you all are doing what you have to do to help John and in the end, what is money compared to having your loved ones here and one the way to a fresh and better life. Darn it, things will work out..
hugs,
kadesma

Dear Dove

Dear Dove I have lost two wives to cancer and I am loosing my curant wife
to Bul Bar palsy and it is beyon comprehension what you are going through my prayers are with you love and hugs
Dave Hutchins Hospice volentier and cook retired

Marge - Thanks for the update. The next few weeks will be very critical to John's treatment. My continued prayers for all of you.

Hi Marge, You probably already know this and if so, please excuse this post. When my father-in-law had cancer, he got treatment out of town in Houston. He was there for 3 months but only inpatient a small part of that time. The social worker at the hospital made us aware of programs similar to the Ronald McDonald House except for adults. There were efficiency style apartments a couple of blocks from the hospital that were available to patients on a month to month for about $200/mo. There were also nearby hotels that had a limited number of rooms available at a very reduced rate when referred by the hospital. Be sure to have Sandie call Stanford and speak to a hospital social worker, someone in patient services and/or the transplant coordinator. Let them know your situation and ask what programs they have or use for out of town patients receiving treatment. HTH
As always, ya'll are in my prayers.
Love & Peace,
Terry

Sandie has talked to Social workers several times in person, by phone and E-Mail. They just give her a list of places that others have stayed at and have the shuttle that goes to Stanford.
The San Francisco Bay area is very expensive.They don't have anything like McDonald House..that was the first thing I asked months ago when this was first mentioned that he would be going down there.
Marge

Gee, Marge, I'm so sorry they're having such problems with accommodations. It would seem as though an area as large as Stanford should have something to help folks like Sandie out. Hope she finds an acceptable solution.

Hang in there. We're here supporting you all. Love, prayers and hugs, as always, are being sent your way from Buck and me.

Yesterday i took John to the Dr.'s Dr took a sample of his bone marrow ( from the hip) and then off to have blood work done. then back for an echo. (EKG) He said by the time we did all that we would have the results of his blood work. By the time we went back to his office they were all out for lunch. John asked to be taken home so we left. Sandie called the Dr. from work. He said the blood was OK and we didn't have to go back for a transfusion. John was so tired by then I'm not sure I could have gotten him in and out of the car. I didn't know that he ran out of Oxygen while we were in the hospital..he needed to get home and go on the larger machine.

I fixed him a can of soup..he ate half and gave the rest to the dog. He just doesn't want to eat and what scares me is I see the same vacent look in his eyes that Paul had. John was always a fun person to be around..funny and joking all the time.Now he sits and stares off into space.

They are in Stanford now, John saw the radiologist today and Tim sees the Dr tomorrow ( today..it is after midnight now)

He still has double Pneumonia and on oxygen full time. Before they said he had to walk in on his own power and be reasonable healthy. He will be pushed in there in a wheel chair, under Oxygen and with Pneumonia. This tells us that this is imperative now. That he can't wait any longer to have this done.

Please keep him in your Prayers,
Love
Marge

John and his loved ones and you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Whenever I'm faced with a situation over which I have no control, I derive comfort from the thought that things always turn out for the best.

Marge,
this has been a long road for John and a hard one. He is worn out and tired and I would think he is just staring and quiet to gather the strength for the rest of his treatment. We sometimes seem to other to bounce along from one thing to another, and inside we are terrified of what is coming and what will happen and don't want to put it in words..So, we back off and try not to think of it.The poor fellow has had so much to deal with and I'm sure his wife and children and his mom are on his mind..Once they get started, I will pray that he pulls out of this and can give his all to just working to be free of the worry and illness that he is forced to deal with.
Just remember we will be thinking and praying for all of you and especially John.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom