DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I almost have the electric in, we can put out a couple of spare burners or stash it in the fridge and fill up a crockpot.

more books, tin? let's see what you have in there...let me give you a hand with them while my coffee cools down a bit. oh, hehe, i see you already have plenty of help with both kitties going at it!! attacking... what? i think they just want to fight over the box, must be a 'cat thing'-- they leave the best, cushy seats in the house, to spar over this dusty old cardboard box. huh, go figure....:)

let's let them play awhile, tin. did you hear the exciting news from .40 about the rooms here that have plastered-in fireplaces? apparently, from a central chimney existing from the time of the construction of the original building. can you imagine, tin? even if we don't use them for heating, as actively functioning fireplaces....i can't wait to see the walls torn down to reveal those old fireplaces, hidden from sight for all these years--there's supposed to be four of them! i wonder, have you noticed, tin, is that a brick or a stone chimney, up there on the roof?

have you seen the awesome masonry work done by pf at the back of the house--the splendid fire pit she built? the round, stone-stacked pit is surrounded by the loveliest expanse of field stone, pf's skills...it will make the most perfect evening gathering place for us to relax with our choice of cuppas-- a blazing fire, alive with movement and dancing flames, its mesmerizing powers--melting, softening, entrancing....blissful

I love these mixed boxes of old books -- often the most interesting titles that have been sitting on someone's or someone's father's shelf for ages. And you won't find them at Barnes & Noble or even Amazon. Your comments about the cats reminds me of that fat Internet cat that loves to jump into boxes and back out again. :)

Wouldn't it be swell if while taking out old walls, etc., the guys came across old documents or !!cash!! or the like?

Your picture of that blazing fire was warming just for the reading, Ms. Silvertongue. And think of all the calories PF was able to dispose of while doing that fun firepit project! I envy her.

Do you think it looks like rain for this afternoon's Do? Since we're dried in and all, it won't cancel festivities just maybe slow them down a bit. I sure hope Alix brings something lemony, and lots of it. How about I bring a couple of dozen deviled eggs?

Lunch is at high noon. I put the boston butt on about 9 o'clock last night. It looks great this morning. Lots of bark. I'll pull it in a couple of hours and mix in the sauce. Should be enough for a couple of bus pans full. Picked up 4 dozen local baked hoagie rolls with sesame seeds.

Who's bringing the cole-slaw?

The new addition is fully wired, plumbed, insulated and all the doors and windows are hung.

You should see the front entry. Curved double doors in an oval vestibule flanked by floor to ceiling stained glass panels.

I told all of the crews to stop by for a special project around noon...wink wink

Lunch is at high noon. I put the boston butt on about 9 o'clock last night. It looks great this morning. Lots of bark. I'll pull it in a couple of hours and mix in the sauce. Should be enough for a couple of bus pans full. Picked up 4 dozen local baked hoagie rolls with sesame seeds.

Who's bringing the cole-slaw?

The new addition is fully wired, plumbed, insulated and all the doors and windows are hung.

You should see the front entry. Curved double doors in an oval vestibule flanked by floor to ceiling stained glass panels.

I told all of the crews to stop by for a special project around noon...wink wink

I'll bring cole slaw if that's ok I lost a close dear friend wed so haven't been reading here like I should. How about more deviled eggs, and some stuffed celery and Andy M's moms pilar its heaven and I want to help.
ma

Lately, I 've been lacing my coffee with hot chocolate, half and, half .....so delicious in the snowtimes!

Sure would love one of those eggnog cookies but for my new heart channel, which needs to be kept clear of clogging fats.
Wish there was a fat-declogger one could eat following every meal!

I had an aunt who used to eat a piece of diet fudge (supposed to be a meal-replacer) after every meal, insisting it was doing just that. Maybe for her, it was, cuz she's still going strong though overweight and in her 80's.

Lately, I 've been lacing my coffee with hot chocolate, half and, half .....so delicious in the snowtimes!

Sure would love one of those eggnog cookies but for my new heart channel, which needs to be kept clear of clogging fats.
Wish there was a fat-declogger one could eat following every meal!

I had an aunt who used to eat a piece of diet fudge (supposed to be a meal-replacer) after every meal, insisting it was doing just that. Maybe for her, it was, cuz she's still going strong though overweight and in her 80's.
You might want to investigate the alleged health benefits of cinnamon.

wow, look at all the food in this fridge, ah deviled eggs, too.:) won't anybody be going away hungry from this party, no matter how many bubbas and darells show up!
good thing we decided on a keg--saves space in the fridge for more food. i hope we have some bags of ice coming for the drinks--the icemaker won't do us much good today....anyone heard from alix? she's our dessert girl, you know. somebody brought a pan of bakechef's brownies, but they're half-gone already...

i'll be back in a few hours. i have to finish mixing up the pasta salad i decided to make last minute....

Last edited:
Sorry, sorry, I'm late....there was a troll under the bridge and I was up late last night finishing up the BBQ prep and cook area adjacent to the firepit. We still need a Q of some sort to put in there and I had enough flagstone and brick for the pizza oven on the end. Here's my 20 pounds of potato salad.

Well, dig in! don't all just stand around. Party time!

Sorry, sorry, I'm late....there was a troll under the bridge and I was up late last night finishing up the BBQ prep and cook area adjacent to the firepit. We still need a Q of some sort to put in there and I had enough flagstone and brick for the pizza oven on the end. Here's my 20 pounds of potato salad.

Well, dig in! don't all just stand around. Party time!

Oh gads! I'm late too, but look what I just won! I'm donating it to the patio/pit area. Fi I hope this will just slide into the prep/Q area you prepared.

image-3009812027.jpg

Isn't it bee...oootiful! I'm so excited!!! Man, that pork butt (kind of an oxymoron isn't it? lol!) smells fabulous .40! I'm starving.......
Yum! What great cooks we have here, hope everyone likes baked beans, there's half a lb. of bacon on top and who doesn't love bacon? :)

PS. Thanks for all your hard work Fi, it looks great!

Last edited:
It fits perfectly! Thanks, let me get it hooked up. Now I'm wondering about a water feature out here...

oh yeah, bunny, i love my baked beans smothered with bacon like that! here, i just need to make room on my plate--this is my second plate.:) i had to eat some of everything, and now i think i have.:) lord, that pulled pork of .40's is the tenderest, most succulent bbq...i just kept eating it, without the bread after a while, just for the taste of it. pf, your potato salad is the bomb! you must have had a triple major in college--nursing, masonry and home economics. i hope you have the recipe for this salad posted at dc. i need to make some of this for my brood of grandkids for when they descend on me later this month....
i'm so glad the guys are all eating like hungry wolves. watching other people eat makes me feel real good inside, even when it's not all my own food.

oh pf, quiet, if you have to go in there--bubba is laying down, resting-- trying to process all that food...and all them cups of beer. we have the keys to his truck safely tucked away in the antique coffee tin in the pantry. didn't want bubba to wake up with a mind to drive himself somewhere....

i just plan on eating until i can't no more--no dieting today! none of that healthy lifestyle talk--it's groundhog day, and, no shadow-- it's going to be an early spring, coffeemates! soon as i can move again, i want to take a tour of this place, inside and out! can you believe your eyes, the enchantment, the rhapsody that resides with us here in this spot....?

Last edited:
Where do you want this red velvet cake with cream cheese icing?...picked up 2 of them while I was at Costco.

The flagstone, outside plumbing, electric and gas I learned one summer working at Dad's putting in the Narnia garden at their place. It is fantastic!

I've been on the phone all evening. We have our finish carpenters lined up. The sheet rock crew will be out tomorrow through Wednesday.

None other than Tim "the toolman" Taylor and Al Borland will be on the job later next week. I can't wait to see how they interpret the plans and what inventions Tim leaves for us. He has already promised a solar water heater to augment the standard system.

Personally, I put my faith in big Al to get the job done but on the other hand, I can't wait to get Tim on the back of a horse for a trail ride on the farm later this summer. I think I'm going to put him on Uncle Hershel's big black stallion Widowmaker. He just loves city folk. ;)

The Darrell brothers will still be on the job too. Tim needs supervision. They will do the painting and help with the odd jobs that still need doing.

thought i'd stop in to see if there's any food left from yesterday's picnic. a thick slice of red velvet cake...with this hazelnut coffee, oh yeahh. nobody here, just me and the kitty cats. yesss-i-know you'd like some of my cake, domino--why you keep sticking your nose... sniffing at my coffee, silly? it's HOT, dummy, i mean dommie--here, okay, sit up, up--sit up for it--here's a glob of frosting, dommie . yes, i Know, it's SO goood, kitty. here, boxxi, here's some for you too...No--not the coffee--what is it with you cats and the coffee, anyhow?? trust me, you not gonna like it....well, i told you so, boxx!

yes, i talk to myself all the time. nothing wrong with--well, not when there's people around, i don't, cuz they wouldn't understand. oh look. pulled pork and rolls--cole slaw, even! how lucky is that! i expected to find all the food gone today--what a super nice group we have here, leaving some goodies in the fridge for the latecomers. no, not like me--i'm double-dipping, i know. the cats, they won't tell on me. they wouldn't dare....

next week should be fun--i love tim and al--wonder where .40 knows them from. he sure has some interesting connections, that 40....but, he's right-- tim will require close supervision. heck, he's just as accident-prone as schneider was, only with tim, you kinda want to protect him, keep him from hurting himself...and everyone else. and everything he touches....:)

Last edited:
Whoo. Sorry I missed it all guys. I was NUTS at work the last couple of days and just couldn't pull away for any amount of time. Thanks PF for covering my butt and bringing in that red velvet cake. I felt bad jamming out at the last minute.

I'm off to the library to curl up and read for a bit. I'm whacked.

hey alix, we were worried about your sorry butt yesterday.:) yeah, pf is good like that....listen, i gotta go get back to the game. ravens are 7 up already.:) listen, in the back of the fridge--there's a plate with your name on it--yeah, kades insisted on fixing a plate for ya yesterday....

Last edited:
OMG! Thanks for the plate of yummies Ma. I needed that. I made some soup for later. Ham and split pea.

Sorry I worried you all. I couldn't even get close to a computer, let alone get on here. I'll makes sure I leave a note next time.

Back
Top Bottom