DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i still don't 'get' amber, and am not sold on holly either, thought she just had a very good night last night. josiah is the only one still on the show without the creds. i even like the brothers swon. i'll just leave my absentee ballots with you pf, and hope sarah and sasha make it through another week.....

shoot! now that sarah, my favorite singer was voted off the Voice last night, what do you all want to talk about? come'on now... ??

okay, i'll start. my granddaughter graduated from h.s. yesterday afternoon, yay! where did that chubby-legged little towhead go so soon....now, it's 'senior week' at ocean city for seven whole days and (YIKES!)

Last edited:
shoot! now that sarah, my favorite singer was voted off the Voice last night, what do you all want to talk about? come'on now... ??

okay, i'll start. my granddaughter graduated from h.s. yesterday afternoon, yay! where did that chubby-legged little towhead go so soon....now, it's 'senior week' at ocean city for seven whole days and (YIKES!)

Congradulations to your g'daughter. Once 'senior week' is over she will be joining the world of adults. Is she going off to college? :angel:

paul mitchell's cosmetology school is the plan for now. but she won't be wasting a thing. she is destined for greatness, that girl. no matter where she goes or what she does, her star will shine brightly. but i still wish she could have gone to university. even though a college degree doesn't necessarily practically guarantee one a lucrative career today, as it did for my generation.

is everyone on board and watching masterchef? yess! they are just now getting ready ro create a spectacular lamb dish, and i am getting very hungry watching... oh my, now they are eliminating some of the contestants right in mid-dish!

Last edited:
paul mitchell's cosmetology school is the plan for now. but she won't be wasting a thing. she is destined for greatness, that girl. no matter where she goes or what she does, her star will shine brightly. but i still wish she could have gone to university. even though a college degree doesn't necessarily practically guarantee one a lucrative career today, as it did for my generation.

Not only do employers want a degree, now they want a Masters even if it is for Secretarial. With the high cost of tuition, and the student loans, kids today simply can't afford to go for higher education. And employers are going to find it more and more difficult to fill positions unless they are willing to go back to "On the job training." A lot of kids are opting for Community College with an Associates Degree. The banking and insurance industries here are large enough that they have their own schools and are willing to educate you in order for you to get any promotions. Otherwise, your present position becomes a dead end as far as your career goes. The Pirates Ex started out in banking as a teller. She had an Associates Degree in Fashion Design. Never used it. But over the years she took every class the banking industry offered and is now a District (Area ?) Director for New England for the bank she works at. I am not sure exactly what her title is.

I hope she finds fulfillment in Cosmetology. If you are good and keep up with the latest trends, you can develop a good following. In this state in Massachusetts, if you have to hold a license for your career, then you have to do Continuous Education in order to keep your license. Which means you have to keep up with any new rules and regulations passed by the Health Department. Both City and State. So when you go for a wash and set, now there is more to it. More education behind it.

I wish her all the luck and hopes she passes with flying colors. :angel:

Maybe she is being really smart. In today's economy it is a really good idea to have a marketable skill. It sounds a lot nicer than having to waitress or deliver pizza, when it's hard to find a job that goes with the fancy degree. I have a client who is a biochemist, but she is working as a cashier in a convenience store.

It's no fun carrying all that student debt. A friend of mine got his bachelor degree in music. He was a professional jazz musician. He didn't make much money. He eventually realized that he would never get out of debt. Not long after, he committed suicide. :(

It could also lead to other things such as opening her own salon or line of cosmetics.

She can always go to university part time or save up to go later.

thank you addie and taxy, for the reassuring words re my gd's present situation. i know that financial considerations and constraints weighed heavily into the decision to set aside earlier plans of hers to attend college next year. expectations of a big lottery win unfortunately fell through....:)

Last edited:
Afternoon all! Just got back from a breakfast out with a friend and stopped by to check on y'all.

vitauta, your granddaughter will find her way. Life is what happens while you're busy planning. I never trained for the career I'm in now. I just took the road that opened in front of me. I was meant to do this work though. It satisfies me soul deep. Just remind her to be open to all roads and be willing to take a leap of faith. She has a good support system and can take a chance or two. Congratulations to her on her graduation. Major milestone!

Afternoon all! Just got back from a breakfast out with a friend and stopped by to check on y'all.

vitauta, your granddaughter will find her way. Life is what happens while you're busy planning. I never trained for the career I'm in now. I just took the road that opened in front of me. I was meant to do this work though. It satisfies me soul deep. Just remind her to be open to all roads and be willing to take a leap of faith. She has a good support system and can take a chance or two. Congratulations to her on her graduation. Major milestone!

you and john lennon know the exact right things to say, alix. i am much comforted by your encouragement and quiet assurances. this is a much different world young people face today than anything that has come before. each coming generation finds its own way through the maze of new challenges, with the unbridled energy, optimism and resolve unique to the youth.

so, pf, what sort of work did you do before you were 35?

Cashier, cook, baker, had my own catering company for a bit. It took a unit of 20 Alzheimer's patients that showed me what I wanted to do. I ended up out of work at Christmas and the only job available was a Nurses Assistant. One of the nurses told me I should go to nursing school. It's been 17 years now in nursing, first as an aid and then as a nurse.

Back
Top Bottom