DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well lets see...

Kitchen/Dining room - I can see us having a lovely reno in here. Pass through counter with stools tucked under to be used as a breakfast bar. I'll let you guys discuss the actual dining area. The kitchen needs to have room for at least 3 of us to work. An island with deep pot drawers and a sink is a must. 2 ovens, because you just KNOW its going to be a gathering place for holiday meals and there is nothing worse than trying to juggle all the sides, main and desserts in one dinky oven. I'd love to see sliding doors out to the deck and patio too. That covered deck is so lovely. I was thinking something like this...
traditional-patio.jpg
ffor the outdoor chefs. That fireplace on the left would actually be more like an ooutdoor pizza oven. I think we could incorporate a smoker section in the middle tthere too.

The kitchen, outdoor area (Did the hot tub ever get finished?) and the library are going to be my primary haunts, but if there are going to be bunches of us around maybe a really big ballroom for parties might be a good idea.

I think the library could be expanded into a couple of rooms too. Its grown exponentially in the last little while. Do you think Tim and Al could do some of those movable rolling bookcases? So they sort of stack on top of one another to conserve space? Then we could convert that room where we've been sorting books into a reading room. Do the fireplace wall in river rock, put in a few more chair groupings and maybe a big squishy couch? We're right next to the kitchen but I don't think it would be out of line to have a counter with all our coffee supplies in here.

What do you think .40? Can the boys do any of that?

I already built that out there...not nice enough?

They are already on it. We're going to have to make due with a 6 burner Viking range. Double oven model with griddle option.

Walnut veneer Kraftmaid Cabinets are built out for twin french door Samsung refrigerators.

Island counter top with 3" butcher block counter top. Deep cabinets with KA mixer lift device. No more lugging around the mixer.

The far wall has a 96 bottle Vinotemp wine cellar, wet bar, locking liquor cabinet, Keg-R-ator, and Scotsman commercial ice maker.

Tim finished the passive solar water heater today. It's pretty cool. There is a grid of 4" PVC pipes plumbed like a radiator on the south roof. Supply water fills those pipes where it is heated by the sun. That in turn is connected to the conventional water heater. We save energy because the sun heats the water in the pipes and it goes into the heater pre-heated.

Bubba tells me that they plan to build natural stone hearths to heat the dining room and sitting rooms down stairs. Upstairs the study will have a federal style walnut mantel. The other side of the fireplace opens to the recreation room. He is asking for ideas about the theme for that room.

Ooh ooh! I vote for a 50's style rec room complete with juke box and "Arnold's" style booths. Black and white check floor etc. Yada, Yada Yada! Anybody else ????????

Oops forgot to mention the crew asked that we keep the kitties out of the construction zone. This is for their own safety and Tim's allergies. Tim is all congested and his eyes are barley open. He says to tell you "thag you bery munh"

the kitties are sorry as can be for causing a flare-up of your allergies, tim. they are sick to distraction themselves over this. you should have seen these two, with their heart-wrenching meowing duets and claw-sharpening rituals--- persistent cat-felt exclamations of distress and regret for their fur coat's unintended assault on you.:( they asked that i send you a package of benadryl, and their favorite catnip ball....

coffeemates, i'm asking for someone in our group to take our sweet kitties into their home for a brief visit. please let me know if you are able to give our two cuties a safe place to land for a week or so, while this next leg of construction is going on at the coffeehouse. there is no feasible way to successfully sequester these two kitties in a room or closed-off space in the building. there is no room large enough, no matter how nice, to contain this pair. they would scratch up the doors and door frames, tear the carpeting to shreds, and their incessant cries would drive us all nuts. so, are there any takers? we will supply food and supplies, of course.

Last edited:
I will gladly take the kitties and keep them as long as necessary. Teddy loves to play with kittens. My son's cousin by marriage has a cat and he has a blast every morning when Spike takes him to her house. While he is having a cup of coffee, Teddy is busy playing with her cat. :angel:

I will gladly take the kitties and keep them as long as necessary. Teddy loves to play with kittens. My son's cousin by marriage has a cat and he has a blast every morning when Spike takes him to her house. While he is having a cup of coffee, Teddy is busy playing with her cat. :angel:

thank you, addie! your place would be splendid for the kits, but what about you? i don't know if you have a realistic picture of this pair as house guests. they are sure to give you a hard time trying to catch a nap, or a peaceful night's sleep. and they will be extra work for you. they run me ragged every day i spend around them at the coffeehouse specially boxxi, with their constant mischief and demands for attention.

that being said, the kitties' suitcase is all packed, and they are ready to go!
they are all yours, addie, if having been warned, you are still game.:)

thank you, addie! your place would be splendid for the kits, but what about you? i don't know if you have a realistic picture of this pair as house guests. they are sure to give you a hard time trying to catch a nap, or a peaceful night's sleep. and they will be extra work for you. they run me ragged every day i spend around them at the coffeehouse specially boxxi, with their constant mischief and demands for attention.

that being said, the kitties' suitcase is all packed, and they are ready to go!
they are all yours, addie, if having been warned, you are still game.:)

I will be waiting for them to arrive. I can always sleep when they do. Like I did with my babies. Pets keep you young.

If there's serious cooking to be done, and I think that's a given here, we'll probably need an herb garden -- and a truck garden. Climate's no problem; what the heck -- it all can go under a dome. Plus we can just declare it weed-free at the start and it will be. :cool:

If there's serious cooking to be done, and I think that's a given here, we'll probably need an herb garden -- and a truck garden. Climate's no problem; what the heck -- it all can go under a dome. Plus we can just declare it weed-free at the start and it will be. :cool:

word, tin! we've got the best setup right here since the garden of eden got shut down--best thing since sliced bread, as they say!:) with the help of our dc gardeners, let's get started with our plantings! tin, what do you say? and where's dawg, and cws when you need 'em? move over, michelle.:)jk, jk! we got any gardening books in that library of ours....?

thank you .40--i love that so much! loveit,loveit,loveit!!!

Last edited:
addie, how are you and the kitties surviving the storm? we miss y'all! well, except for tim, not so much, i guess....:)

The kitties are sitting in the window tryinig to catch the snow flakes every time one lands on a window pane. They are so adorable. When I laid down for a nap, they jumped up on the bed. Every time I wiggled my toes, they thought they had a new toy to play with. So much for that nap. They each have their own bowl for feeding. I gave them a small amount of kitten food. One gobbled hers right down and then tried to push her playmate away so she could eat that too. I picked her up and held her in my lap while the other one finished eating. :angel:

word, tin! we've got the best setup right here since the garden of eden got shut down--best thing since sliced bread, as they say!:) with the help of our dc gardeners, let's get started with our plantings! tin, what do you say? and where's dawg, and cws when you need 'em? move over, michelle.:)jk, jk! we got any gardening books in that library of ours....?

thank you .40--i love that so much! loveit,loveit,loveit!!!
I'll help with the herbs, I have rqdishes,tarragon,marjoran,oregano,dill, ieven have several artichokes,carrots,leeks,onions,garlic, so if you'd like my help let me know. I don't want to get in anyones way.
ma

kades, so good to see you again! by all means, come help get us started with our plantings, seedlings, and all the, um, watchacallits....i don't think we want to wait for our greenhouse to be built, do we? is the bay window area a good place to start our herb garden, kades, tin? could the two of you draw up a list of herbs we want/need to grow that will reflect our international food tastes and cooking requirements? think 'future functions', indoor and outdoor, formal and not....
where is there a good garden/landscaping type store around here, i wonder....

Last edited:
kades, so good to see you again! by all means, come help get us started with our plantings, seedlings, and all the, um, watchacallits....i don't think we want to wait for our greenhouse to be built, do we? is the bay window area a good place to start our herb garden, kades, tin? could the two of you draw up a list of herbs we want/need to grow that will reflect our international food tastes and cooking requirements? think 'future functions', indoor and outdoor, formal and not....
where is there a good garden/landscaping type store around here, i wonder....
gladly, i've many herbs just sing out with what you will like. I also have cubanelle sweet Italian frying pepper seeds I need to start so let me know I also have carrots,radish, we could also so some cukes all are great in salads as are heirloom tomatoes.
ma

Post #325 shows what I ended up doing...with electric, water and gas.:)

I saw that. ;) Mine was supposed to be an add on to yours around the left. That's it...an addition! Sorry PF, I only saw picture #1 the first time. Totally missed the second shot. :rolleyes: We do need an outdoor pizza oven though and this was as close as I could get.

I'll plant the tomatoes, onions and strawberries. I apparently have a knack for those. Picture below is 3 week growth.

Attachments

• IMG_20120713_091635.jpg
    IMG_20120713_091635.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 149
Back
Top Bottom