DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just on my way out now vitauta. I'm starved! I'll swing by afterward and write down what we ate.

BTW, you freaked me out just a bit because I am indeed wearing kicky boots!

.40, people coming through here, they're like tourists with cameras, all of 'em love what's been done to this place. they say you are a genius builder-architect, and a few are asking if you are taking on new clients. are you? if you want, you can leave some of your business cards here at the cafe....

addie has brought to our attention the need for a housekeeper. you have all these connections, .40....we do have some special needs for a worker here though, and finances are sketchy as ever....somebody can write up a want-ad with requirements for the position this week, but the main qualities we are looking for are a reliable, hard working neatnick, a foodie type, with great cooking and baking skills, good organizing and managing skills. oh, i'm not at all good at this....

that's all i can think of, right now, .40. i'll try to get pf or alix to draw up a formal job description for you, if you think you can help us find our housekeeper.as i see it, room and board will be the primary attraction for this position.....

I'll have to pass on the general contractor work. I've got all I can handle and more but thank you for thinking of me.

I know Rosie Jetson is available.... Let me know if you would like me to make inquiries.

Attachments

• roise_jetson.jpg
    roise_jetson.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 133
AT&T will be out today. They are going to terminate the fiber optic connection to the internet. We built in a WiFi network with repeaters in every room and even some outside on the verandas. You should get a strong signal anywhere you go.

SSID is CoffeeHouse
Pass is Il0v3Cig@rs

It's good to be the administrator! ;)

"a woman is just a woman, a good cigar is a smoke."
rudyard kipling

a correlation between cigar smoking men and incidences of misogyny?

I think it would be fair to say that cigars are still a male oriented avocation. Even in these enlightened times the ratio is easily 10000:1 but we are making progress.

Can't speak for Rudyard, different times and different culture. On the other hand....

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

I am trying very hard to refrain from any references to a certain former president and his rather famous indiscretion with a cigar.

On another note, I brought in a new Keurig for the coffee area. The old one was starting to make a weird grindy noise when it brewed. I also got a new selection of flavors for those of us with that inclination. I also brought in some Fog Chasers and some of the Starbucks brews for the other folks. I got us: Creme Caramel, Southern Pecan, Belgian Chocolate, Vanilla Biscotti and Jamaican Me Crazy.

I'm off to sort through some boxes of books with a Creme Caramel. I'll be in the library if anyone needs me.

I think it would be fair to say that cigars are still a male oriented avocation. Even in these enlightened times the ratio is easily 10000:1 but we are making progress.

Can't speak for Rudyard, different times and different culture. On the other hand....

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

i'll gladly leave to the men their cigar smoking avocation. to me, progress would be if the ratio of men to women smoking cigars was 1 million:0. i promise that i'm not one of those insufferable people who preach and nag at smokers, having quit the habit herself. suffice it to say that we'd all be better off if no one smoked anything.:)

here are a few more cigar quotes, mostly from authors of the 19th century:
(some things don't change all that much with time):)

mark twain said, "if i cannot smoke in heaven, then i shall not go."

"there are two things a man never forgets--his first love and his first cigar."
anon.

horace greely said, "a cigar has a fire at one end and a fool at the other."

groucho marx said, "given the choice between a woman and a cigar, i will always choose the cigar."

richard carleton: "i am sure there are many things better than a good cigar, but right now i can't think of what they might be."

vitauta says, "if you can't beat 'em, build a walk-in humidor."

peace out, .40.:)

Last edited:
However, I will be carrying my bottle of Febreeze...the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke makes me want one.

Green coffee order came in today. I'll be roasting a little at a time so we have a variety day to day.

• Liquid Amber Espresso Blend - 2 lbs
    • A proprietary blend of beans specifically for espresso. This is a staple at home.
  • Ethiopia Gr. 1 DP Yirga Cheffe Kochere - 2 lbs
    • This is a classic Dry Process coffee with strong fruited aromatics in the cup. The dry grounds include ripe peach, melon, coffee fruit and toffee peanuts. Our lighter, City+ roast, had a note of frankincense. Adding hot water, the fruits found in the grounds only intensify in sweetness and in numbers, with the addition of stewed fruits like apricot, peach and mixed berries.
  • Peru Organic Puno -Lot #33 - 2 lbs
    • Coffee from Peru is a rarity due to the remoteness of the growing region perched at 2000 meters ASL. It's a 14 hour trip one way to the nearest town. The fragrance of the dry grinds is sweet like cacao, fresh butter and ripe dark fruits reminiscent of plum. Adding hot water brings intense sweetness like chocolate cake and even red berries along with other bright fruits.
  • Colombia San Antonio Lot #230 - 2 lbs
    • Inherent sweetness of brown sugar and raw honey is most notable in the dry grounds of San Antonio. Hot water brings along notes of wildflower honey, and dried fruits such as peach and Turkish apricot. There's also a sort of almond butter/marzipan smell to be found that verges on biscotti.
Enjoy and let me know your favorites.

I am trying very hard to refrain from any references to a certain former president and his rather famous indiscretion with a cigar.

On another note, I brought in a new Keurig for the coffee area. The old one was starting to make a weird grindy noise when it brewed. I also got a new selection of flavors for those of us with that inclination. I also brought in some Fog Chasers and some of the Starbucks brews for the other folks. I got us: Creme Caramel, Southern Pecan, Belgian Chocolate, Vanilla Biscotti and Jamaican Me Crazy.

I'm off to sort through some boxes of books with a Creme Caramel. I'll be in the library if anyone needs me.

happy valentine's day, everybody!
hello kitties! hello domino, hey, hey, buttons--i think we will start off our valentine's celebration with...let's see here--yes, how does ground lamb and vegetables sound to you two sweeties? or, would you rather tuck into some of this liver kitty pate? oh yes, alright, i agree, buttons--liver it will be-- beef liver rules, today! okay, now, back off--it only slows things down, you know, with you clawing and climbing and carrying on....there, there you go, and here, i poured your water in a 'people's' glass, just the way you like to drink it, sillies....

wow, are we ever set with a wealth of coffees, now! between alix and .40, look at this exotic array of new flavors to try! and another new keurig coffeemaker, too--what's up with that, i wonder? alix prolly sweet-talked those keurig people into giving her another free machine! she must give good phone, that girl.:)

i sure hope alix stops in today. her b-day cake is still waiting to be cut into--don't know how it got overlooked yesterday, sitting in the fridge big as life in its white bakery box....lemony-lemon, yumm! i wish she'd walk in here right now-- i'd love me a nice fat slice to go with my cuppa...

well, i'll just help myself to a couple of the see's chocolates while we wait--mmm. here's a raspberry truffle one, covered in dark chocolate-- i love these so much. why, yes, absolutely-- i'll be your valentine, for a day....:)

Last edited:
That cake is for ME??? WOOHOO!!! Bring it on! A slab for you and a slab for me vitauta. Omnomnomnom!

oh yes, thank you, alix! yumm, this cake is so creamy and lemony. you are dc's lemon lady, you know.:) what i like is someone who can appreciate the true size of a cake slab--mine looks like a quarter sheet on my plate. no, no--i'm not complaining at all. besides, we have to make up for yesterday, alix, don't we--all the cake that didn't get eaten, ha! how many cakes did you score for your birthday, altogether, anyway?

we didn't get to toast your b-day yesterday, either. are you ready for a glass of asti to your health? you shoulda thought to down a glass yesterday, instead of bashing your
poor head in....

oh yes. here, i hope you don't mind these plastic disposable wineglass thingies. do you ever come across any crystal stemware at your yard sales? i'd love to see a nice collection of mismatched good china plates and lead crystal glassware for this place....

tin said she might stop in here for some valentine's chocolate treats and a cuppa with us today. i should set aside some of these lovely chocolates for her. oh, alix, i'm really liking the pecan and caramely coffees you brought. that espresso of .40s packs a real jolt that i like, too. so much coffee, so little time, huh?

heard anything from kades in your travels, alix? haven't seen taxy for awhile, either. i know she would appreciate some of these fine coffees we have here....

.40, would you do me a big favour and roast some of that Yirga Cheffe to a nice light/medium roast please. I do love that Yirga Cheffe.

I've brought a small mocha maker (stove top espresso maker). Do we have coffee grinder? Do we have any of those refillable K-cups?

.40, would you do me a big favour and roast some of that Yirga Cheffe to a nice light/medium roast please. I do love that Yirga Cheffe.

I've brought a small mocha maker (stove top espresso maker). Do we have coffee grinder? Do we have any of those refillable K-cups?

marvelous, taxy! an espresso machine is exactly what's been missing from our coffee kitchen. and i loove espresso coffee when i can get it. oh yeah, there's some make-your-own k cups in the overhead cabinet there... you should see the cats streak out of here at the first sound of one of those coffee grinders! they are mighty loud... and domino, poor dear, he scares so bad, you won't see him again for a good hour or more.

what do you drink your espresso coffee in, taxy, you use a regular cup? how would you like a piece of alix's b-day cake? she wouldn't take it home with her yesterday. said something about being too much of a good thing...this entire place here is an embrace and glorification of luxury and excess, don't you think so....:)

Oops. I ran away too early. A real party was starting up. Taxlady, we have plenty of those refillable K Cups, they are very useful. Just be careful when you clean them out that you don't toss the filter in the garbage. I've seen one at home and one at work go that way. And if you don't mind, could you toss the coffee grounds in that composter? I'm using it in the tomato beds. That and the eggshells are very useful.

Today is my last day off for a week. Phooey. I've really enjoyed the last 3 days off. That extra long weekend is WONDERFUL. I'm off to have lunch with a friend and then shop for new closet doors. I'll bounce around here for about a half hour first though. Got to sip some of that lovely coffee and enjoy our patio. Ahhhhh!

Wow. I was taken away by some unusual duties yesterday and missed the whole Valentine's occasion at the Klatch -- i.e., Sees chocolates and kitty fun via Vit; and (forgivably, I hope) Alix's B.D. -- a belated very HB to you, Alix; plus in the last little while the dawning realization that assumptions of wild & woolly in re Texas folk are crashing and burning -- 'cause that .40 cal. turns out to be besides very knowledgeable in planning and construction, a sophisticated coffee devotee; then there's Taxlady kicking it all up a notch w/espresso. Phew! It's all a little rarefied to us hoi polloi, who have been caught drinking tea-brewed-from-a-bag on occcasion.

Back
Top Bottom