"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Similar to buckytom, we are surrounded by local pizza joints. We have a local "chain" in Papa Gino that makes a decent pizza but when I want take-out pizza I use one of the locals even though I have to drive there and back.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

12 miles to Pizza Hut, they don't deliver to our town. Same for Dominos. The Mom and Pop shop went out of business.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
12 miles to Pizza Hut, they don't deliver to our town. Same for Dominos. The Mom and Pop shop went out of business.
So you’ve pretty much got no choice but to make your own. Or you couldopen up your own! Where do live that has no pizzeria?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Similar to buckytom, we are surrounded by local pizza joints. We have a local "chain" in Papa Gino that makes a decent pizza but when I want take-out pizza I use one of the locals even though I have to drive there and back.
We’ve got UberEATS and EAT24 (Yelp’s delivery service) here in Vegas, both companies are contracted with several local, excellent pizzerias. So I don’t even have to get out of my jammies when I want a mushroom and anchovy pie!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Like RPCookin, I am out in the middle of farming country in a town with less than 500 people. We've thought about a pizza place, but I am getting older and I love my current job as an RN. I just drive to town for pizza.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have two pizza places close by - Domino's, which I grew up with in Michigan and a local place where the owner has a New York accent and a pizza oven also from New York. I like both, although I really like Domino's, because I like the sauce better, and I like a saucy pizza. The local place costs about twice as much as Domino's, so we usually alternate. My husband is too frugal to pay a delivery fee, so he picks them up. Also, Domino's has an app with a tracker ("Robert has started making your pizza," etc.) for ordering with that's easy to use and works great.

When we get pizza, it's because I'm too tired to make it. Or anything else.
When we lived in the south Denver area, we did Domino's most of the time when we had delivery. Like GG, I like mine saucy - Domino's thin crust was our pizza of choice.

Now when we do Papa Murphy's, I usually get the pan pizza (Papa's Favorite toppings). I like the chewy crust with just enough crunch for textural contrast.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Head Chef

There's a pizza war of sorts going on, obviously.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Sad as it is, if I want chain pizza, I prefer Little Caesar's.

We do frozen more often than we should.

Safeway signature pizzas are pretty good. I like the thin crust Supremes. Also, some off brands at the grocery outlet can be excellent.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Sous Chef

OK IMHO, most chain pizza sucks. Too much salt, sauce is too sweet, and bad cheese.

I generally make my own pizza, as many here do. I have a fairly streamlined process, as pizza is a common 'don't feel like cooking something complicated but hungry' recipe for us. If the sourdough starter is awake, not sleepy, I can have a dough in an hour, and then 15 minutes to cook the pie. I do have to make an knead a dough, which for some is a dealbreaker. I'm pretty used to it, and I find it gets the stress out of my shoulders. It does have to rise for an hour, so delivery is quicker.

That being said, we have a good Local pizza place that I love. Here is the deal, they have a pizza oven. I have an apartment oven. Even with a stone and preheating, I can't get my crust as crisp, so I don't try. My pizza is sourdough, which I love, but has a more breadlike vibe, it isn't that thin flaky NY style pizza crust. Sometimes that later is what I am in the mood for. In the Philly area we are lucky to have some third generation small Ittalian pizzarias. They are also where I go to when I want a cheesesteak, becuase though I have the skills and can get the ingrediants, it isn't worth it to keep the steak and rolls on hand for when I want it, and I think they do it better anyway on a big grill. Pizza on the other hand is some sauce, good cheese, and the normal breadmaking supplies I always have.

Now we were out in Oklahoma for a number of years, where we had less options. I haven't used Dominos recently, heard they tried hard to up their quality. Last time I tried them they were one of the few times I've thrown out food. Papa John's and Pizza hut aren't much better. Pizza hut also has a thicker crust, more like my bready crust. The one time we ordered from there in Oklahoma, because we didn't want to wait for a dough to rise out, my Beloved Wife turned to me and said, this is like your pizza but crappier. I agreed.

I don't mean to be a pizza snob, though. One thing a pizza place has that I don't is a very hot oven. I can do a bunch of stuff in my home oven to simulate a pizza oven, but it isn't a pizza oven. That is why I go for a more sourdough, breadlike crust for my home pizzas. And if I want a crispy thin crust, I go to someone who knows what they are doing AND has the right oven for the job.

TBS (E-F)
Old 12-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

My wife likes to bring home wood-fired pizza once or twice a month.
In rare occasions we might order delivery pizza from a chain location.

Tags
pizza