Did you ever notice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Did you ever notice on every sitcom that you have ever seen there is a swinging door that goes from the kitchen to the living room? Have you ever seen this in a real persons house?

Have you ever noticed on all hospital shows there is always a hospital room where the wall is glass so everyone can see in. Anyone ever see a room like this in a real hospital?

What weird things like this have you noticed?

lol, i have noticed these things.
has anyone noticed the way women will be sleeping on a tv show and they'll do a close-up of her face but her make-up is not smudged in the least?
and the way those actors' and actresses' hair is always just so?
and on cartoons, the way they wear the same outfits for the entire duration of the show?
and the fake laugter or the laughter from the studio audience... none of us have chiors of laughing people around when WE say or do something amusing, so why do they all have them on tv?

Actually we used to have a door like that ha ha.

Did you ever notice that in Comedy clubs, they put the good guy's on first, the crappy guys on last and then serve drinks through the whole thing. By the end of the show you can always tell the designated driver. He's the only at the table who's looking at the stage like "Where did they dig up this cadaver?"

Have you ever noticed that adding new children to a television show is a sure sign it will not be coming back next season?

On the same note, have you ever noticed that in the 3 months between the end of the Spring TV season and the Fall TV season, a child can gain 5 years?

I would love to live a soap opera life. That way when I die I can come back in 6 months.

If you ever slip into a coma on a soap opera your being replaced with a different actor.

Welcome to Ravens School of TV Set Design.
>> Living Room, Kitchen, Back Yard. <<
Class Dismissed, Congratulations.

~ Raven ~

Raven, you are hysterical!!!:LOL:

Why is it that on TV shows, mechanics have clean fingernails?

Why are all Sitcom husbands dumb/not the head of the family? (I hate that, which is why I don't watch them)

And, why are Sitcom kids only around on needed episodes....think about it.... you never see them, and there's no mention as to where they are...and the house is clean.....

Why does Maggie only appear sometimes on The Simpsons?
Why in Australian shows made for overseas there are wall to wall kangaroos and koalas?
Why in The Bold and the Beautiful is Brooke now a grandmother????(and has not aged)

mrsmac said:
Why in Australian shows made for overseas there are wall to wall kangaroos and koalas?
They figure that is the only way we will know it is Australia! LOL In case the accent isn't enough for us to figure it out. They do sometimes show the Sydney Opera House as the "guiding" landmark.

Actually it is interesting how they use certain landmarks for big cities, so that you will know instantly where the scene is set. It is amazing how many movies and TV shows used the WTC Twin Towers as a landmark, and no one really noticed more than in passing. Now I will be watching a movie from a few years back, and they pop right out at me. Let's see, off the top of my head:

Washington D.C.: there are tons of landmarks, one of the less obvious (but still recognizable) being Union Station
San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge or TransAmerica Building
St. Louis: Gateway Arch
Paris: Eiffel Tower
Hollywood: Hollywood sign
Seattle: Space Needle
New York: Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty
Chicago: They use the waterfront a lot, and Union Station
India: Taj Majal

Ok, I'm too tired to think of more! It is kind of interesting when you think about it though. I've never been to most of those places, but I know them with just a quick glimpse at that landmark. :mrgreen:

:) Barbara

And why on American TV programmes set abroad do they show, for instance, the Eiffel Tower, with the words 'Paris, France' or Big Ben with 'London, England'. I know that many places in the US have copied the names of European towns and cities.... but REALLY...... Do they think the TV audiences in the States are so dumb that they won't work out that it's the French Paris rather than Paris, Texas? :) :mrgreen:

I brought up something a while back about some of the cooking shows. Like on Barefoot Contessa, when Ina serves food outdoors there are never any flys or other insects to spoil all the fun. But when I serve food outdoors every insect in town shows up.

When my mom and dad bought their house, it had one of those doors to the kitchen. They took it down right away. It was a good way to get hurt - someone entering the doorway from each direction and not being able to see. The kitchen couldn't be seen from the dining room anyway - I have no idea why it was put there.

licia said:
When my mom and dad bought their house, it had one of those doors to the kitchen. They took it down right away. It was a good way to get hurt - someone entering the doorway from each direction and not being able to see. The kitchen couldn't be seen from the dining room anyway - I have no idea why it was put there.

When I was a little kid, my grandparents had a door like that. I was on the receiving end of a SERIOUS burn when Grandma came through with a pot of coffee while I was on the other side. I don't remember the details of the accident, but I had a serious burn covering my shoulder and back that affected me for some time!

And why do kids and parents always work out their problems and end up hugging and laughing at the end of the episode, where life once again is perfect? Doesn't make sense to me...

Ishbel said:
And why on American TV programmes set abroad do they show, for instance, the Eiffel Tower, with the words 'Paris, France' or Big Ben with 'London, England'. I know that many places in the US have copied the names of European towns and cities.... but REALLY...... Do they think the TV audiences in the States are so dumb that they won't work out that it's the French Paris rather than Paris, Texas? :) :mrgreen:

LOL!!! That sounds like a Naked Gun schtick.

Block the camera on the Parlament Building and Big ben, play Hail Brittania while someone leads a camel down the street and tag it "Cairo" :ROFLMAO:

Of course in thinking on it, I would rather visit tie Eiffel Tower in Paris, than the Edsel Tower in Detroit. :mrgreen:

~ Raven ~

CookinBlondie said:
And why do kids and parents always work out their problems and end up hugging and laughing at the end of the episode, where life once again is perfect? Doesn't make sense to me...

Silly girl, that's cause they only have 30 minutes of life each week!:LOL:

How is it that teachers in a sitcom will teach the next grade higher, if the show is picked up for another season?

Why do some sitcom siblings disappear? (Remember older brother "Chuck" on "Happy Days" when it first started?)

Why do sitcom actors play the same character and nobody notices? Did Samantha Stevens ever figure out that Darren was two different guys?

jkath said:
Why do sitcom actors play the same character and nobody notices? Did Samantha Stevens ever figure out that Darren was two different guys?

It was funny when Roseanne noticed that Becky had changed though... "Something seems different about you... I can't put my finger on it...." That was some classic TV.

Or like in "Vegas Vacation",

Clark Griswold: [to his kids, played by the fourth different set of actors in as many "Vacation" movies] You guys are growing up so fast, I hardly recognize you anymore!

jkath said:
Or like in "Vegas Vacation",

Clark Griswold: [to his kids, played by the fourth different set of actors in as many "Vacation" movies] You guys are growing up so fast, I hardly recognize you anymore!

I love those movies!!!!

I like how kids grow up sometimes rapidly but their parents don't age (back to Brooke in Bold and Beautiful )
The teacher one bugs me too, teachers are always portrayed inaccurately on TV and in movies!!!

jkath said:
Raven, you are hysterical!!!:LOL:

Why is it that on TV shows, mechanics have clean fingernails?

Why are all Sitcom husbands dumb/not the head of the family? (I hate that, which is why I don't watch them)

And, why are Sitcom kids only around on needed episodes....think about it.... you never see them, and there's no mention as to where they are...and the house is clean.....

You look that close to see the finger nails??? Way too funny....I'm not a TV watcher so I probably wouldnt think about it......

as for the door thing...we used to have one years ago but it was the old "saloon" types...peek over the top or crawl under and sneek up on mom while shes doing the dishes...hehehe

tancowgirl2000 said:
as for the door thing...we used to have one years ago but it was the old "saloon" types...peek over the top or crawl under and sneek up on mom while shes doing the dishes...hehehe

Those saloon doors reminded me, have you ever noticed that in Television, no matter how flimsy the partition, it still seems to "soundproof" the room?

In The Brady Bunch, all they had between Mike's den and the living room were some louvered shutters, yet in one episode you see him close them to have a private conversation :mrgreen:

In Mamma's Family there was an open breakfast window between the kitchen and dining room, yet no matter how loudly they spoke in the kitchen, no one sitting at the table 2 feet away could seem to hear them. :wacko:

Apparently if you flunk out of Physics, you have to settle for Set Design 101 :mrgreen:

And on the opposite end of that same spectrum, if you can see them, you can hear them. In Television, binoculars seem to also have the wonderful quality of amplifying to perfect clarity any sound emitted by the object under observation, even through 6 inch thick bullet-proof glass. The only requirement is that you are able to maintain visual contact. As soon as that's lost, you lose the ability to hear them too.

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
Raven said:
Apparently if you flunk out of Physics, you have to settle for Set Design 101 :mrgreen:

~ Raven ~
OK I know the day is young, but this is my favorite quote from the day!!!

Back
Top Bottom