"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
My concern now, would be if my credit score will be affected, i.e. an unpaid or late bill.
They will experience a tsunami of anger if my credit is affected.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Jeekinz, do you have a DVD recorder? You may be able to record it to DVD. I've done that with some shows. Tedious and long but that's one way to save them.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Not to mention, the DW loves movies and orders PPV on a regular basis. Plus, I order the MLB Extra Innings every year.

Luckily, Verizon will offer MLB next year. And, they are paying the DTV bill for the remainder of the MLB season.

Verizon comes Monday to install the TV. I already have Fios internet and phone so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

However, once the Verizon DVR is installed, Im going to look into ways to record shows on DVD. With my dish turned off I can't watch pre-recorded shows on the DVR! All my cooking shows and movies will be lost.
I have the DVR system from my cable companies and it's the best recording system ever. You can store movies forever.
I'm curious to know why you order movies on PPV when you can get 90,000 titles from Netflix for a fraction of the cost. I'm subscribed for 9.95 per month and I can get as many as 9 movies per month. That's just a few cents over a dollar per movie. Take a look, it's worth it and they have several different plans to choose from. Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases. The movies come in your mailbox, you watch them and drop them back into your mailbox. No late fees and you can keep the movies as long as you want to. (Hey, do I get a commission for this???)
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
...I'm curious to know why you order movies on PPV when you can get 90,000 titles from Netflix for a fraction of the cost. I'm subscribed for 9.95 per month and I can get as many as 9 movies per month. That's just a few cents over a dollar per movie. Take a look, it's worth it and they have several different plans to choose from. Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases. The movies come in your mailbox, you watch them and drop them back into your mailbox. No late fees and you can keep the movies as long as you want to. (Hey, do I get a commission for this???)

I have an HDTV but I don;t have an HD DVD player so I can't watch a DVD in HD. I can rent an HD PPV movie and watch it in HD. It's worth the extra.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I'm curious to know why you order movies on PPV when you can get 90,000 titles from Netflix for a fraction of the cost.
It is only a fraction of the cost if you get a lot of movies. If you rent one movie every two weeks or so then Netflix ends up costing quite a bit more. Also, correct me if I am wrong, with Netflix you tell them a number of movies you would like to see and they send you what is available at the time so if you are in the mood for a comedy you would be out of luck if they decided to send you a drama. I am not saying that Netflix is bad. A lot of people who have it do love it. It is not a direct comparison between that and renting a single movie though.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is only a fraction of the cost if you get a lot of movies. If you rent one movie every two weeks or so then Netflix ends up costing quite a bit more. Also, correct me if I am wrong, with Netflix you tell them a number of movies you would like to see and they send you what is available at the time so if you are in the mood for a comedy you would be out of luck if they decided to send you a drama. I am not saying that Netflix is bad. A lot of people who have it do love it. It is not a direct comparison between that and renting a single movie though.
The cheapest plan Netflix offers is 4.99 per month. If you order two movies, which is what this plan allows, you pay 2.50 per movie. In the three years I've subscribed to Netflix, I have never experienced what you're talking about. I have a queue of movies and when I send one movie back they send me the next movie in my queue. They don't choose your movies for you, you choose your own movies. Never had a bad experience. If the next movie on my list is late in coming to me, they send me another copy plus the next movie on my list free of charge. This is the most customer friendly company I have ever dealt with. Sorry you had a bad experience but I can't understand why they wouldn't ship you the movie you chose.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have an HDTV but I don;t have an HD DVD player so I can't watch a DVD in HD. I can rent an HD PPV movie and watch it in HD. It's worth the extra.
Okay I get what you're saying about the HD DVD player. If you are subscribed to a cable company that has the DVR system of recording, you can get this setup for 10.00 per month and the converter box records in HD - problem solved. I have the opposite problem in my RV, I have the DVR HD coverter, but my TV is not HD.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
The cheapest plan Netflix offers is 4.99 per month.
My cable Co. charges $3.99 for a movie. If I get one movie every 2 weeks then it is less expensive to do PPV then Netflix. If I want to go 2 months without renting a movie then with PPV I can do that. With Netflix you pay per month even if you do not want any movies.

Quote:
[B]In the three years I've subscribed to Netflix, I have never experienced what you're talking about. I have a queue of movies and when I send one movie back they send me the next movie in my queue. They don't choose your movies for you, you choose your own movies.
You are misunderstanding what I am saying. Yes they only give you what is on your list, but if you have both dramas and comedies on your list they could send you either of those. For example, you might have both Animal House and Kramer vs Kramer on your list. Netflix decides which of those you will get next. If you are depressed and want a funny movie to cheer you up then you have to hope and pray that Netflix does not send you Kramer vs Kramer off of your list and make you even more depressed.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
The cheapest plan Netflix offers is 4.99 per month. If you order two movies, which is what this plan allows, you pay 2.50 per movie. In the three years I've subscribed to Netflix, I have never experienced what you're talking about. I have a queue of movies and when I send one movie back they send me the next movie in my queue. They don't choose your movies for you, you choose your own movies. Never had a bad experience. If the next movie on my list is late in coming to me, they send me another copy plus the next movie on my list free of charge. This is the most customer friendly company I have ever dealt with. Sorry you had a bad experience but I can't understand why they wouldn't ship you the movie you chose.
I've had what GB's is talking about happen before, twice. I was all set for CSI:NY and they sent me Juno and Mrs. Winterborne. While both are movies I could have enjoyed, they were totally opposite from what I was ready to spend my weekend watching. For one, they totalled all of 3.5 hours and the two CSI disks totalled 8 hours. For two, they weren't CSI:NY and were totally different gendres. I still haven't watched Juno and I cancelled my Netfix account.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
I have the DVR system from my cable companies and it's the best recording system ever. You can store movies forever.
I'm curious to know why you order movies on PPV when you can get 90,000 titles from Netflix for a fraction of the cost. I'm subscribed for 9.95 per month and I can get as many as 9 movies per month. That's just a few cents over a dollar per movie. Take a look, it's worth it and they have several different plans to choose from. Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases. The movies come in your mailbox, you watch them and drop them back into your mailbox. No late fees and you can keep the movies as long as you want to. (Hey, do I get a commission for this???)
It's very simple.

The DW is as much into movies as I am into cooking...or even motocross. Those big 'ol TV's we have, she bought to enjoy her movies. She tried the Netflix thing before but couldn't stand waiting for the newest titles to be available. And as far as renting them, it only costs like twenty cents more to use PPV.

.....she even rents movies during the month if she just "has" to see a certain flick. lol