"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #8921
Head Chef

One cognac and one chicken n dumplins and coleslaw.

OK. I'm off for a baking session to make cakes for this afternoon. Anyone got any favourites? I'm proposing an Italian apple cake, scones and a strawberry jam tart. I've got a ginger cake I made a few days ago, so that'll be ready now. If you've spotted any recipes on the forum that you especially like, point me to them.

Don't anyone ask me to make cucumber or egg mayonnaise sandwiches for a proper English afternoon tea. I don't see the point of cucumber sandwiches and the smell of hard-boiled eggs is just awful!

Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #8922
Assistant Cook

Sorry, Snoop, for not responding to your question about biscuits and gravy. In the U.S., biscuits are not cookies. They're a quick roll made with baking soda, not too distant from a scone, but no sugar. In the South (I'm from the North, so I'm not speaking from personal experience), they are used to sop up good homemade gravy, either sausage (YUM!!!!! Yes, I've had it at some good roadside restaurants come to think of it!) or chicken.

Now, about what cake I'd like....though I'm much more a fruit pie person, some of that gingerbread cake sounds good if you've got lemon sauce to go with it. Otherwise, would you please make an oatmeal orange cake with a coconut/walnut/orange juice glaze toasted off in the broiler? While you're at it?

Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #8923
Head Chef

Tell you what... I'll make some lemon sauce to go with the ginger cake (it would probably go well with apple cake too) and, if you like, a plum pie. I've got lots of really good plums that I could do with using up. Would that go down well? I didn't think about a fruit pie but I love them too.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #8924
Senior Cook

ahhh, cognac...time for a soaker
Old 09-10-2006, 11:27 AM   #8925
Head Chef

OK. Cakes and plum pie on the table. Tea in the pot. Help yourselves. Last one to finish, can you put any leftover pie in the fridge and the cakes in the cake tins?

By the way, apple cake and lemon sauce go together very well...
Old 09-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #8926
Senior Cook

*looks at table* where's da cheesecake ?
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 AM   #8927
Assistant Cook

I'm in heaven...plum pie and fresh whipped cream (found the cream in the fridge) and a nice cup of tea! Oops...Oh, sorry to you folks that didn't get to taste it....it was so good I didn't pay attention to how many pieces I kept slivering off for myself... Oh well...no need to put the leftovers in the refrigerator!

Actually, in my non-virtual kitchen here in Seoul I just served peach cobbler and bush tea to my good friend and we visited to half-past bedtime (bedtime's midnight.) Can't decide which I enjoyed more, the real peach cobbler or the virtual plum pie!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #8928
Senior Cook

mmmmmmmm, peach cobbler !!!!!!! YAY, with cold sweet milk
Old 09-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #8929
Assistant Cook

Yes, warm out of the oven. And we also serve it with cold soymilk for those who are lactose intolerant!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #8930
Master Chef

so.. Frank brought a bunch of apples...
what do you want me to do with them?

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote