"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
Executive Chef

when I can I do...it is a drive for me. But the quality means the food lasts longer, thus I don't waste any, thus in the long run I save money buying better quality.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Sigh. WF is one of the things I miss most about home! They bought a small chain of stores here in the UK and are opening the first real big WF in London this year. But of course, I dont live in London!

What I love most about WF is not only the beauty but the selection is amazing. Fruit and veg, cheese, bread and I love their 365 brand products. I dont mind paying for good food, its what goes into my body!

Oh but now I'm sad thinking about it.... cant wait to move home!!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I shop them when in Denver and always love it. But am selective about what it is I get--love their cheeses, for special occasions. We are getting not one, but two in our city and a TJ's. It has made our major supermarket chain upgrade their "gourmet" parts of their stores--like cheese and bread. Fresh Market is OK, but amazingly, I think their produce is atrociously kept. We've had them for years.
Central Market in Texas is even better than WF--really miss going there!!
The newer concept WF stores are HUGE compared to say, the Cherry Creek WF--old store. IN the new Denver WF on Arapahoe there is a chocolate fountain that is easily 6 feet tall--and in operation!!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior Cook

I bought this tea there, it said "hepls breathing" or something along those lines. Since I have asthma and recently (a year after being told I have asthma) quit smoking, I decided, what the hey, lets try it. I bought the stuff and I'm still not sure if it really helps with breathing or not (I haven't had trouble with my asthma in about a month and a half or so), but it tastes good. It's like pepperminty tasting! It's really good!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
Senior Cook

We had one in Arlington, I shopped there for seafood. I didn't think they were as good as Central Market or United's Market Street stores, but they are definetly pricy in IMO.

later
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
Executive Chef

There's one about 10 min. from me. I shopped there once for ingredients for one of Flay's recipies. It was pretty expensive. They do have alot to offer but the other supermarkets around me are now carrying "specialty items" So it makes sense for me to do all my shopping in one store. The one thing I noticed lately was how the regular supermarkets are carrying much more organic foods now. You have to be reeeeal careful, otherwise you'll spend $4.59 lb. compared to $.99 lb.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I don't even know where one is around me.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
Head Chef

I'm pretty sure thers one in Baltimore, but I've never shopped there. I do like Trader Joe's though.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I do shop there, but if I lived 125 miles from it, I doubt I'd go very often!

The one where I shop is across the street from my favorite place, the Union Square Greenmarket. I used to get all the stuff I couldn't get at the greenmarket at Whole Foods, but now that Trader Joe's is just one block further, I do some of my shopping there, as well. They don't have the same things as WF, but when they do, their prices are usually better. I buy just about all my meat and fish from the vendors/farmers at the Greenmarket, tho.

I do have one big gripe with Whole Foods: that is they "rain" on their produce, which makes it rot much faster. For some reason, someone's convinced a n awful lot of people their produce needs to be washed for them.... Well, it sure gets you back into the store faster, when the lettuce all gets "goopy.!"
Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I thought they 'rained ' on it to make it heavier at the checkout counter, hence more expensive.