"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes we use powder detergent...so in that respect it is probably best for us to use warm water, so it doesnt clog up the machine

DL, I was thinking we would continue using vinegar but I have just read this on Choice

"Miele don't recommend the use of vinegar in the final rinse as its acidic nature can damage rubber components in the washing machine over time"

Choice Reviews

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
Executive Chef

i'm with z, doing cold water washes, and brightening whites as needed, separately. washing clothing in cold water prevents much of the shrinkage which was at one time a big problem for me. i was constantly ruining my clothes with heat from the washer and dryer, in spite of careful attention to wash/dry instructions. also, i think cold water washing causes less fading of colors, doesn't it?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes I have read that really hot water can cause shrinkage V, but apparently warm water is okay

I am not sure about the colours fading...once again maybe with hot water...but it may be fine with warm and of course cold
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm with z, doing cold water washes, and brightening whites as needed, separately. washing clothing in cold water prevents much of the shrinkage which was at one time a big problem for me. i was constantly ruining my clothes with heat from the washer and dryer, in spite of careful attention to wash/dry instructions. also, i think cold water washing causes less fading of colors, doesn't it?
I'm pretty sure you are right about the fading.

I only wash in cold water. I regularly do a bleach wash (to kill germs) of tea towels, kitchen towels, J-Cloths (Handiwipes south of the border), and white bleachable stuff that needs it.

I don't bother with fabric softener and my towels are soft, even when I line dry them.

If I had a "boil" cycle, like they do in Danish laundromats, I might use that instead of bleach for germ killing. I just don't think my hot cycle is hot enough to do that.

BTW, drying towels on hot is what shrinks that decorative stripe and gives you "ruffled" towels.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Taxy, you have a front loader...do you wash on a slower spin cycle and make sure there is lots of water in the machine?

As everywhere I am reading, people are complaining about hard, stiff towels after washing them in front loaders?

When we get our new one, we are going to make sure there is lots of water for the towels to soak/float in and rinse them on a slower rinse cycle
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Taxy, you have a front loader...do you wash on a slower spin cycle and make sure there is lots of water in the machine?

As everywhere I am reading, people are complaining about hard, stiff towels after washing them in front loaders?

When we get our new one, we are going to make sure there is lots of water for the towels to soak/float in and rinse them on a slower rinse cycle
Nope, no extra water and for towels (actually everything that isn't too delicate and doesn't wrinkle easily) I use the fast spin. I do push the button for extra rinse. I use liquid detergent and use half as much as recommended for top loaders. Yes, the stuff still gets clean.

It might be, in part, the Melaleuca laundry detergent. It rinses out really well.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

we wash mostly in cold or a mix of warm and cold (warm wash, cold rinse). the few cotton whites in hot.

but we do not use a dryer. in my experience, using a gas or electric dryer is a clothes killer.

we hang our clothes on lines in the basement in an effort to both save the clothes and save energy. in late spring, summer, and early fall we hang most clothes outside (except undies, unlike our uncomfortably close neighbors it makes you look at them in a different way than i should have to )
during winter, the heating plant (an oil burner) is in the basement, so it keeps the basement warm and at relatively low humidity. drying is free . during approx. 5 months of summer, we have to run a dehumidifier to do the same job. but it's fairly efficient. much more than air conditioning as the dry heat doesn't need to be expelled.

this method mostly saves both clothing and energy, but it has a tertiary effect. since i finished the basement into a little living area for my parrots, it helps to regulate humidity by hanging wet clothes in the heated, dryer winter months as well as the (dehumidified and warmer) humid summer months.

so for us, the temp of the water has less of an effect on clothes as the drying.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to Lindazoe
I use cold water always
Old 04-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
Master Chef

I am part of the cold water crowd.

We have front loading high efficiency machines in the apartment complex where I live and they work great at washing the clothes and removing the excess moisture prior to placing them in the dryer. The issue we have with some of the machines is that over time they develop a very unpleasant odor. I have been told that this is due to the fact that some water remains in the machine after a wash is completed and if the door to the machine is left closed a mold develops. This plus the fact that the door seal on these machines is waterproof means that no air circulates in the machine when it is sitting idle. I have been told that it is best to leave the door open when the machine is not in use. This issue may be more pronounced in an apartment complex like the one I live in because so many different people are using the machines and using different laundry soaps and fabric softeners.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Switched to cold only several years ago and have been very happy with the switch.

Also what Dawg said about the fabric softner is true. In addition using the sheets will also build up on the lint screen and that inhibits air flow in the dryer .. be sure to thoroughly wash those lint screens frequently.

Unable to comment on the front loader since I've never had one.

Tags
water