"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
"Hey, buoys and gulls!" Let's get back on track with In the Kitchen's dilemma. We really don't need to bring a celebrity into this discussion.

Now, back to the regularly-scheduled program.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Which goes right back to the issue of spaying and neutering too many cats and dogs and not enough people to adopt and take good care of them.I think the point of the documentary is to get thru to the idiots that just dont get it.Most everyone on DC gets it without the horrible details we already know how important it is to spay and neuter.Still there are alot of people to cheap(its not that expensive)or lazy or just dont give a c**p to spay or neuter.Or just plain ignorant.That is what this movie is about is to educate the ignorant ones.These are the same people that just dont value the life of an animal.I think it has to start with young children they need to be taught to respect all life and and that you need to care about all living things.
What I really hate is when I come across a situation where an animal is suffering and Im crying and the person next to me says why are you upset its JUST a dog or cat.Right then and there I know where their heart is and its not good after that I lose any respect I had for that person in the first place these are the same people that dont take great care of their so called pets either.Im not sure you can change these people even if they actually saw the documentary.Its hard to change a stone cold black heart.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Not to get off subject.If you watch Ellen I think what really upset her is that the 2 kids where already so attached to the dog and she was just feeling what they were feeling.I dont believe it was a stunt in any way she was just very upset over the whole thing.You just cant fake that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
This is a subject that has torn me for years. Iím still not resolved on the matter.

Face it, weíre hypocrites. A cat or dog that we have in our house? Oh NO, donít be cruel.

A chicken, cow, or lamb for our vealÖ.who cares, letís grill it. What makes one animal better than the otherÖ.is it proximity?

Itís hypocrisy.

And Iím guilty.

And I donít have any answers.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
This is a subject that has torn me for years. Iím still not resolved on the matter.

Face it, weíre hypocrites. A cat or dog that we have in our house? Oh NO, donít be cruel.

A chicken, cow, or lamb for our vealÖ.who cares, letís grill it. What makes one animal better than the otherÖ.is it proximity?

Itís hypocrisy.

And Iím guilty.

And I donít have any answers.
I also dont have any answers.All I can hope for is that the animal is slaughtered in a humane way.Its a tough one as still I really like to eat meat and yet I dont want to think how it got to my plate.HB is a hunter but a hunter with ethics he does his very best to not make the animal suffer which sadly alot of other hunters dont.He hates guiding bow hunters that is when alot of wounding happens and not taking the animal down in an instant.Plus there are quite a few so called bow hunters that just plain suck at the so called sport.He calls them stick throwers because some of them never can just get a good clean shot.This also applies to people that use guns to hunt .
HB says women are the best hunters as they dont lose their minds and get so excited they just shoot Im not saying all men do this but women for the most part want what is called a clean kill where the animal dies in an instant if they cant get that clean shot they wont do it.As for me I will not hunt I just cant do it as Im guilty of anthropomorphism which means I give non human animals human thoughts and feelings so I just cant do it.Not to say I wont squash a black widow or snap the rats that are destroying my green house tomatoes.I do draw the line with insects that are causing havoc with me or my pets life.I also would not hesitate to blast a bear getting in the house that wont leave or if it has one of my dogs in its mouth.But to me thats just survival.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I also dont have any answers.All I can hope for is that the animal is slaughtered in a humane way.Its a tough one as still I really like to eat meat and yet I dont want to think how it got to my plate.HB is a hunter but a hunter with ethics he does his very best to not make the animal suffer which sadly alot of other hunters dont.He hates guiding bow hunters that is when alot of wounding happens and not taking the animal down in an instant.Plus there are quite a few so called bow hunters that just plain suck at the so called sport.He calls them stick throwers because some of them never can just get a good clean shot.This also applies to people that use guns to hunt .
HB says women are the best hunters as they dont lose their minds and get so excited they just shoot Im not saying all men do this but women for the most part want what is called a clean kill where the animal dies in an instant if they cant get that clean shot they wont do it.As for me I will not hunt I just cant do it as Im guilty of anthropomorphism which means I give non human animals human thoughts and feelings so I just cant do it.Not to say I wont squash a black widow or snap the rats that are destroying my green house tomatoes.I do draw the line with insects that are causing havoc with me or my pets life.I also would not hesitate to blast a bear getting in the house that wont leave or if it has one of my dogs in its mouth.But to me thats just survival.
Awesome! I've got nothing to add other than your hubby sounds like one h3ll of a man and a true hunter. Hunting isn't my thing....can't do it......but I love your DH's attitude about it. He'a a true man of the hunt! Give him my kudos please, he deserves them!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Yep DH is great he says look at the animal world its the females that make the decisions and you should just let the human women make them as well but the funny thing is he doesn't do anything I tell him.
Anyway we need to get back to the subject at hand
Old 10-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #38
Master Chef

"Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs."

Drama continues.

With rules like that most of the people in the world would have never had a dog. Now I for sure think it is stupid. i do not care what kind of agreement was signed there. The shelter place is wron, wrong, wrong, and it makes me really angry.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
"Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs."

Drama continues.

With rules like that most of the people in the world would have never had a dog. Now I for sure think it is stupid. i do not care what kind of agreement was signed there. The shelter place is wron, wrong, wrong, and it makes me really angry.
Right alot of people have small dogs and small children.its a great way to teach kids about being gentle and loving to animals.Does that mean if you have little kids you cant adopt a cat either?What about Gerbils,birds,fish etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
Head Chef

ďShe [the owner of Moms and Mutts] is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world ... They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."

Full story.

Well, if Moms and Mutts has that policy about children under 14, then thatís how they run their business. Some restaurants require a Suit and Tie to be allowed in......itís your choice to patronize them or walk away.

There are many, many more places to get a pet. Go to the pound and you can get whatever you want and do with it how you please with no one looking over your shoulder.