"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I don't have pets, but love some of my friends' pets. One had a doggy door, so she (Mikko), could come and go when she wanted - and a doghouse outside with water. The dog's house was so nice, I wouldn't mind sleeping in there in the summer j/k. (When we went to our fave bbq place, she would bring the bones home for Mikko. If dogs had facial muscles, I'm sure she'd be smiling.)

Another friend was up and down all night, opening the glass sliding door to let the dog in and out. It kept me up all night as well, but didn't want to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings. Didn't mind the view of watching him (dressed only in a T-shirt) 50 times a night to let the dog out. Guess pets are smart, and will let you know when they want to come and go.

In my old house I had a little door in the kitchen that said "Milk" on it. (Maybe years ago milkmen would deliver milk thru the little door.) Anyhew, all the neighbors left their milk doors open (we all loved my neighbor's cat (Phyllis, the cat, lol). She could come in, eat and leave when she wanted. If the milk door was closed, she'd swing from my screen door with her paws or open the mail slot with her paws when she wanted to come in. At first I thought I had a burglar when I heard that clanking sound, ha. Very smart cat.

I'm sort of reminiscing about my friends pets that I loved & miss, so I can understand your concern. Sorry your pets are ill. I'm sure they give you lots of pleasure & vice versa. Hope I brought a smile.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

mish

You know you did! What a precious picture. Is that over you mantle? Would be on mine. That is what MasterCard would call 'priceless'. He does look like he is smiling. Whose dog was t hat ? You sure have your share of memories for not owning one cat or dog. I am so thankful you like them too. I know they can tell. When I pass someone w/dog, I talk more to the animal in my mind t han to the person. Seems they always turn around when I pass. As long as they are taken care of makes me thankful. They all know how to make difference in our lives. thanks mish, you are such important friend to me. You always make me laugh. I need that once in a while. Take good care of yourself.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Sorry

Eagles, of all things they could pick up the little one. What about your cats? I never heard of eagles doing this. I know we have hawks t hat fly around here looking for rabbits. thumpershere you have you duty to handle all the activity you do. But don't you think they are worth it? I couldn't imagine life w/o them. I feel giving up for the dogs. I just can't afford insurance for myself much less the dogs. Remember one dog had to put constant drops in the eye because no tears. I couldn't afford operation to correct. Would use salvia gland to moiston her eye. Only t rouble every time she got hungry her eye would water. That dog lived for 10 years w/dry eye. One vet wanted me to put her down to. Couldn't do it. She had heart attack in our yard. She was t iny thing too and only one in the house who paid attention to my husband at the time. She could overlook his faults. Sorry I get started and cannot quit. Just keep watching your dogs i don't want to hear any bad news. I am sure you don't either. They sure need care that is for sure.I do appreciate your efforts. Sure worth it.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
Executive Chef

sweetnectar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnectar
i wanted to have a pet dog but my brother has an asthma before that's why we arfe not allowed to have one...
I have felt that way too. Have to give up something for someone. That is life. I feel sure that the time will come when he will get better and strong and won't be affected. We all have to accept disappointments. I sure would like to have a brother around to grow up with. You don't have to feed him or give him water, I am sure someone takes care of that. I have brothers and each one is different and requires understanding. There are other pets that are available that you could love. You like birds? i had hamsters at one time. But they all need attention. Can't let day go by without knowing they are fed. I am sure your brother would enjoy a dog too.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I don't have pets, but love some of my friends' pets. One had a doggy door, so she (Mikko), could come and go when she wanted - and a doghouse outside with water. The dog's house was so nice, I wouldn't mind sleeping in there in the summer j/k. (When we went to our fave bbq place, she would bring the bones home for Mikko. If dogs had facial muscles, I'm sure she'd be smiling.)

Another friend was up and down all night, opening the glass sliding door to let the dog in and out. It kept me up all night as well, but didn't want to say anything for fear of hurting his feelings. Didn't mind the view of watching him (dressed only in a T-shirt) 50 times a night to let the dog out. Guess pets are smart, and will let you know when they want to come and go.

In my old house I had a little door in the kitchen that said "Milk" on it. (Maybe years ago milkmen would deliver milk thru the little door.) Anyhew, all the neighbors left their milk doors open (we all loved my neighbor's cat (Phyllis, the cat, lol). She could come in, eat and leave when she wanted. If the milk door was closed, she'd swing from my screen door with her paws or open the mail slot with her paws when she wanted to come in. At first I thought I had a burglar when I heard that clanking sound, ha. Very smart cat.

I'm sort of reminiscing about my friends pets that I loved & miss, so I can understand your concern. Sorry your pets are ill. I'm sure they give you lots of pleasure & vice versa. Hope I brought a smile.

HEY! That's a Shiba Inu! That's what breed my dogs are! COOL!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Insulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
If your yard is fenced and they have access to shade and water I am sure they will be fine ITK.

On another note, are your dogs on insulin? Our cat is diabetic and once we got her sugars stable her neuropathy (legs dragging) went away. I'm not familiar with how they treat diabetes in dogs though. Just wondering what you did for your dogs.
Whenever I notice them drinking more water than usual (what's usual in this heat?) I have to take them for insulin check. The one dog who drags her legs really bothers me. How long did you cat drag her legs? This dog has had the bad legs since Novemebr but diabetes almost 2 years. Do you think I have hope? She doesn't act like it bothers her only slows her down when she wants to go after birds. Now small one needs stairs to get in and out of garage door. Something wrong w/her legs or back? All I can do is accommodate them as best I know how. Maybe wrong but I am thankful you can relate to what I have going on here. I have heard someone tell me they had a cat for 20 years. That is unbelievable. How old did you say your cat was? Do you remember how long her legs were that way? My friends seem to be not interested in the problems w/my dogs. Mostly talk about men. They get diabetes too. Maybe they would forget about them too.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #17
Everymom

Leg dragging

Hmmm...her sugars were pretty high for a while there and thats what gets the legs going (according to the vet). I would say she dragged for about 6-8 months after we got her sugars under control.

ITK, if you are having trouble with getting your dogs sugars controlled it might be worthwhile talking to your vet and getting one of those testing units. The last time I took our cat to the vet to have her sugars tested, all they did was prick her ear with a testing unit they would use on a human. Those are a bit pricy, but then you could at least give the correct amount of insulin for that day. I wonder if your dogs sugars are still a bit out of whack? Just a thought. I don't know how my information on cats would translate over to dogs. I know that I am going to talk to our vet about getting one of those glucose meters for the cat. I'd love it if I only had to give her a shot once a day.

As for how long we have had our cat. Well this one we have had for 14 years. She's been diabetic about 5 years now. I have owned cats that lived to be 20 though. Siamese in particular seemed to be long lived in our family. My sister has one who is currently 21 and going strong.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
. Siamese in particular seemed to be long lived in our family. My sister has one who is currently 21 and going strong.
Hey, my two girls, Panache and Nougat, are Siamese too! Panache is chocolate point and Nougat, her litter sister is bluepoint. I am getting a lilac point queen next year from the breeder who owns last years American Siamese Cat Champion (can't rememebr exact title.) She lives in Scotland, so I am going to go up and get my kitten. We are going to get a fourth cat at the same time, but we cannot decide whether to get a fourth Siamese or a blainese or and oriental. I was brought up with Siamese, they traveklled the world with us. My childhood Siamese and I were only separated when she was in quarantine, and then when I went to university she died but she was over 18 then. It gives me real encouragment to know you know a healthy 21 year old! My girls are generally healthy, but panache has very bad allergies to grain. It is very hard to get decent quality cat food in UK. I have a US food imported via Germany, but it is expensive and not really ideal...a lot of the tins reach me dented and spoiled.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Alix

Ever since I complained about their sleeping habits now the insulin is starting to give me trouble. The one who gets the most insulin is having some leakage again. It is so sticky and I have to clean the kitchen floor so often until I get her insulin adjusted. I will ask the vet about how he feels me investing in personal testing at home. I feel he wants to help them but it really adds up. He draws large vile of blood from their legs and then runs through some machine. Usually take around 20 minutes for each test. Just pricking an ear seems so easy. I am going to question him about that too. Sure strange how they have same problems people do. My brother has roommate who has diabetes and the floor gets so sticky in bathroom. I appreciate your comments Alix because of the experience you have. Anyone who would see these dogs would feel sorry for them. They surely are limited. It is amazing that the cats live so long. The stories they could tell.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #20
Everymom

ITK, 20 minutes seems like a long time to me, but as I said, I am not clear on how things are different with dogs and cats. I sure hope you get their levels adjusted.