Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you know you have support here. If the animals are happier outside and you've provided all they need, AND they are not making noise that disrupts your neighbors, then let them be. No one wants to be awakened at o'dark-thirty by a wailing, barking animal, no matter how much a pet lover you are. Alix, the main difference between cats & dogs in many respects is their metabolism. Cats have a much higher one, pound for pound, than do dogs. Also, dogs, like humans, are omnivores. They can actually become vegetarians to go along with their humans' needs (although they'll probably still always go for meat when they see it, they can have a nutritionally complete diet w/o it). Cats, however, require meat (fish, dairy, whatever). When they were first bringing out some of the great anti-flea, anti-tick, etc meds, they were only prescribed for dogs because cats required a lot more of the meds and more experiments had to be done because of the amounts the cats needed for it to be effective. It's been a number of years, but when I worked for a vet in Florida (where bug and skin diseases are horrid among our four-footed friends), people would beg for the meds for their cats, and occaisionally my vet would give in ..... but if I remember right a cat would need the dosage of a large dog.

Claire, that is very interesting! Here in Alberta we have never had to worry about flea or tick medication for our pets. Someone once told me it gets too cold here for them to survive here.

I did know about the omnivore/carnivore thing with dogs and cats. Our girl is on a special diet formulated to help diabetic kitties. It is VERY high protein. She is not to have much in the way of dry food as it contains much less protein than the canned stuff. I guess that the way they metabolize the insulin must be different too. Here's hoping that ITK can get her puppies sugars regulated.

Back
Top Bottom