Dogs in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allow Dogs in Restaurants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I see that some dogs behave better than some children, but I also avoid the restaurants that cater mostly to children and would have no problem doing the same if it came to dogs coming inside (with the exception of guide dogs). But there are places I don't eat because of the type of crowd they attract and I would think that is true for most of us. We all have reasons why we won't eat one place or another. I would be surprised if a law is EVER passed in Florida to allow dogs inside at all restaurants. I think it would take too much of the business away. And add to much to the liability of the restraunteur.

Last edited:
i answered no. as much as i love animals, i don't think it's ok to bring them to restaurants.
would it then be ok to bring my cats and birds? i'm sure other patrons would love a little cat hair in their food, and listen to my grey louie cuss them out as he flaps his feather dust all over the place.
actually, that might be pretty funny. i could get louie to insult very slow people at the salad bar line...

As much as I love dogs, in case you didn't know that already, LOL.
I don't think it's the best idea, except, for the helpers.
Yes, there are very well mannered and groomed dogs out there, but, it's an open invitation for people that think, "My dog wouldn't bite" There are WAY too many out there, mine included. They are also unaware that it isn't proper to use the restroom there.
If you want to dine with your pet, take it to the park and have a picnic.

Personally I think it is compleatly inappropriate for kids to be screaming and misbehaving out in businesses. If kids are allowed to do this, why can't dogs sit in their owners arms saying nothing. They are not even walking on the floor, nor are they going to the bathroom. They are just beautiful animals that make countless people smile when they see them. Even when larger dogs come into business they cause more happiness then unhappiness.
Also here where dogs are allowed in many places, only well groomed and behaved dogs tend to do shopping or to restaurants. People with dogs who are not looked after well don't seem to bring their dogs out shopping with them. Like dog like owner.

I have owned dogs and wish I could have another.

However, I realize that many people, if not a majority, dislike dogs and consider them to be dirty and germ-ridden (not my feeling). These humans are paying restaurant customers. They go to a restaurant for a pleasant dining experience and expect to be free of both animals and screaming children.

While dogs (and other pets) are loved and respected by many, they don't belong everywhere their masters are allowed to go.

Liketobake - I don't know where you live, but think you're missing the point.

While little "Fifi" might be wellbehaved lying in her owner's arms (at the table? Yuck - how disgusting!! At some point this owner will HAVE to put the dog on the floor so the owner can eat, nes pas?), it still remains that she's quite likely shedding hair, dander, & whatnot towards other patrons who might be allergic to dogs. And the fact that if little "Fifi" should feel a bit under the weather, there's nothing to stop her from puking, dumping, or peeing. Sorry guys, but it's true.

I'm not allergic to dogs, & I certainly don't condone unruly human children in restaurants, but I'm more than willing to put up with an unruly child before I'd put up with a dog in an indoor restaurant.

I fully commend the U.S. Health Department for condemning this sort of thing. I'm definitely an animal lover (7 horses, 4 dogs, 5 cats, 1 cockatoo), but would never dream of bringing any of them into a restaurant. Good grief - use some common sense!!

Breezy cooking, you make me laugh.I have seem people puke etc in restaurants nice ones even. If dogs did it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I am also a nurse and our hospital allows dogs...even big ones.

liketobake said:
Personally I think it is compleatly inappropriate for kids to be screaming and misbehaving out in businesses. If kids are allowed to do this, why can't dogs sit in their owners arms saying nothing. They are not even walking on the floor, nor are they going to the bathroom. They are just beautiful animals that make countless people smile when they see them. Even when larger dogs come into business they cause more happiness then unhappiness.
Also here where dogs are allowed in many places, only well groomed and behaved dogs tend to do shopping or to restaurants. People with dogs who are not looked after well don't seem to bring their dogs out shopping with them. Like dog like owner.

Maybe where you live, but, here, there are just too many that will take their dogs out or let them run lose KNOWING that they bite, have mange{sp} etc.

And your like dog like owner, I won't even get into that one.:)

Wasabi,
He is sooo beautiful !! I'm sure glad that Paka and Dove aren't spoiled.......:rolleyes:
Animals are so special..My son brought Dove to see me at the Rehab. Hospital when I broke my hip and boy was she a hit !! After I was able to drive again I took her back for a visit to some of the others and they were so glad to see her walk in with her head and tail held high.
Dove

Thank you Marge, so is Dove. Thank you for bringing her back to the rehab hospital. Dogs do alot to heal the body as well as the soul.

My sister's 2 children were terrors when they were little - so much so that I refused to eat out with them. They wiggled if they had to sit at all and most of the time were moving about the table and others nearby. She and her dh did nothing to stop it and I was so embarrassed that I haven't eaten out with them since. Even my mom (at mom's house) would say to me "Can't you do something about those kids? I told her "I don't know if you noticed or not but those are Sheila's kids" She wouldn't ask my sister, but seemed to think since I was the oldest child I could do something about it. Believe it or not, they have grown up to be very nice young people (a surprise to us all).

a few points -

- i voted against dogs being in restaurants. my proviso is also the exception of seeing-eye dogs. i think the poll should be rephrased to include this option, because the results are skewed, some voting no like me except working dogs, and others voting yes meaning only working dogs.

dogs are great animals, and while i don't have the space to keep one here in japan, i grew up with many dogs. however, as an ex-chef, i'd say that any animal that licks its butt:sick: and laps up its own vomit:sick: has no place in a restaurant.

Yes, but...

I am an american living in Spain since 1999. I voted yes with a but.
I live in Barcelona, Spain and recently a lot of bars, restaurants and cofee shops are not allowing dogs in. But the reason is not cleanness, but safety. There has been a few incidents of dog bitting.
The first time I ate with dogs was in Paris and I was thrilled because I am a dog lover and enjoyed to seee them and play with them. But a few years later, still loving dogs, I have realized they can be a bother. They beg, the bark, some of them have a lot of hair and they leave some behind, some can be dangerous when shown food. Because of these reasons, I think they should be allowed outside.

As far as seeing eye dogs: I am partially blind and know a little about these dogs. There aren´t enough in Europe, but I think they are a different subject. They have been taught to sit and be aware of when their owner need their help. No one should touch them while "working" and much less, give them food. A lot of time and money is spent on each dog to teach them, some of them are even failed or retired because they do not have the right attitude. These dogs should be allowed anywhere, anytime and should be left alone to do their job, so please don´t touch them without asking first, and never ever give them food.
Cheers from Barcelona

Nadya Sued :)

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks about seeing eye dogs because federal law already requires them to be allowed in restaurants (and that's not likely to be changed). That was my point before. IMO it can't be an option in a poll because its a moot point.

My little dog would be fine in a restaurant, but the beagle would be a :devilish: :devilish: .

Like some, I think this isn't a complete survey. My eldest dog (who just passed away) should never have every been allowed in a restaurant. I would take her daugher, Keiki, to an outdoor restaurant. She is much calmer. I'll never forget when a woman approached me when she knew I was going to Quebec and told me that I'd love it, because I love animals more than children, and there they don't like children in restaurants. the implications was because I don't have children. Well, I don't have children, but I didn't bring my dogs, either. I realistically knew what my animals were capable of, and sitting nicely under a table while we ate in an unfamiliar place wasn't one of them.

What I'm getting right down to is that if you cannot control your animals, children, or for that matter, spouse --

feed them at home.

Maybe for some people, it should apply for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom