"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Master Chef

Don't need no stinkin' smart phone any more!

I decided to go back to the old style flip phone. I'm not a heavy phone user, use a pre-paid plan, so all I need to do is to transfer my voice only sim card to my new flip phone. I wanted something rugged so I ordered an unlocked Samsung Rugby 3. I really miss those old flip phones. I think this one's gonna be a nice change, will be able to really 'feel it' in my hand and in my pocket.
As for data, I have plenty of other wi-fi devices so I'm fine there, so I don't need it in my phone.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Master Chef

Good for you RF. I've never had a smart phone and don't want or need one. My little flip phone with a pre paid plan is just fine with me. It's turned off when I carry it giving me all the power I want. It's amazing how powerful one can feel being undisturbed when out and about, the way we all used to be. Sometimes progress is a PITA.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We really enjoy our smart phones and use them often. No longer do we need a separate GPS device and manually updating maps. Easy to look up reviews on products while in store, and comparing prices before purchasing.

If my hotel wants to charge for wifi, I just use my phone as a wifi hotspot. the high quality camera on my phone has replaced point and shoot cameras and the video is so good, I see no need for a video camera. Everything is backed up to my online account without any action by me.

It's nice when we are traveling to look up restaurants and checking reviews. Sharing recipes on the spot by emailing them to people is a pretty cool feature.

Smart phones definitely aren't for everyone that's for sure and if you really don't use yours to it's full potential, it may very well not be worth the money.

Luckily I don't have a lot of people calling me, and if they text, I can respond when I feel like it. I'm definitely not one of those people with it in my face at all times.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
We really enjoy our smart phones and use them often. No longer do we need a separate GPS device and manually updating maps. Easy to look up reviews on products while in store, and comparing prices before purchasing.
Bakechef, I am with you. Although I work in IT and normally embrace technology, I resisted buying a smartphone for many years. I just didn't get it. Then my wife got an iPhone and once I saw the different things she was able to do with it, I was hooked. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and will be upgrading again here soon. Just a short list of all the things I use it for:
  • Email
  • Photos
  • Taking notes in meetings
  • Maps & GPS
  • Comparing prices
  • Music
  • Watching Hulu and Plex (sending to Chromecast)
  • Clock and wake up alarm
  • Recipes
  • Remote control (my phone has an IR blaster)
  • Grocery lists
  • Audio books
  • Checking flight information
  • Flashlight
  • Browsing the web
  • Keeping up with football scores
  • Calendar
  • Storing contact information
  • Buying movie tickets
  • Texting (although not that often)
  • Set up reminders (to take pills, for example)
  • Stopwatch and cooking timers

The list goes on. The few times I have forgotten it at home, I've felt totally disconnected and lost.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

I dumped my landline about a year ago.

I carry an old Kyocera "burner" that originally cost about $15.00 and costs me about $100.00/year in minutes.

I use the alarm clock feature to wake me up for "The Father Brown Mystery" on PBS.
The only feature that I would like in a newer telephone is the camera.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Bakechef, I am with you. Although I work in IT and normally embrace technology, I resisted buying a smartphone for many years. I just didn't get it. Then my wife got an iPhone and once I saw the different things she was able to do with it, I was hooked. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and will be upgrading again here soon. Just a short list of all the things I use it for:
  • Email
  • Photos
  • Taking notes in meetings
  • Maps & GPS
  • Comparing prices
  • Music
  • Watching Hulu and Plex (sending to Chromecast)
  • Clock and wake up alarm
  • Recipes
  • Remote control (my phone has an IR blaster)
  • Grocery lists
  • Audio books
  • Checking flight information
  • Flashlight
  • Browsing the web
  • Keeping up with football scores
  • Calendar
  • Storing contact information
  • Buying movie tickets
  • Texting (although not that often)
  • Set up reminders (to take pills, for example)
  • Stopwatch and cooking timers

The list goes on. The few times I have forgotten it at home, I've felt totally disconnected and lost.
Ditto on most of those. I cast to my roku often because it's easier to search Netflix, Hulu, plex etc. I also use it to stream stuff from my server while working out at the gym.

I love it as an alarm clock, mine has touchless control. While out of town for work, I could just lay in bed and say "OK Google Now, set alarm for 6:30am tomorrow" and it does it. Grocery lists and appointment calenders have become even more useful than I thought, put an entry in your smartphone and it's in the calender across all devices.

My mom always emails me her flight itinerary and it automatically keeps me updated about her flight status via Google Now, without me having to do anything, same for hotel reservations, along with maps and traffic info along the way.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I have one of those old Black Berry type pre paid phones;
I spend less that $60 per year... I text or call DH when necessary,
that's it!
I don't need to be doing anything else when I'm out and about.
When I did work, I did IT (back when it first started out, ack!) stuff and I really don't want to be
tied to that anymore.
I'm with you, I don't need no stinkin' smart phone
so ...

Name:   nah.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  17.6 KB

Apple or Samsung, or any of those other ones out there!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm the only odd one in the family. My wife and our daughters with their families are all under a single family account and they're all iphone users. In fact, my wife just got her new iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago and she's loving it. Now, the rest of the family is thinking about "upgrading". They're nice, but not for me. :)
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Head Chef

Wink

I have a laptop, landline phone but no mobile phone...never felt a need for it. Guess it may depict a certain lifestyle and I am a semi recluse by choice!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
Master Chef

I was one of the very last ones within my circle of family and friends to acquire my very first cell phone.
Even til this day, when my phone rings, chances are, it's a wrong number. I'm not a talker.