"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I eat junk when I'm alone, I feel like its a waste of effort to cook.
Then again, when the kids are being jerks at the table and not eating or liking what I made, I always wish I were eating alone.... ok or with just DH.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I don't mind eating alone, but I do cook better meals when DH is here. For me something fast to take the hunger away. Enjoy cooking for the whole family better. I like my alone time too !

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

i love eating with others... food strengthens bonds.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I often prefer to eat alone as I can be more self-indulgent, either with the dish or the quantity (you know, when you feel like a second helping but feel a pig for having it!!) or the sides of my choice. I also don't have a problem eating at a restaurant alone BUT it does depend on the restaurant and the day and the meal - like I wouldn't choose to eat dinner at a restaurant on a Friday night (takeaway is good that night). I do go to more effort with a meal when there is someone else to cook for and the event of eating is more enjoyable with company but the food itself doesn't change in perceived quality, only perhaps where there is more obvious effort displayed.

[I don't go to the movies on my own though. That always felt like a lonely event to me cos you want to discuss the movie with someone afterwards.]
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Master Chef

There have been studies done about family dynamics. It was found that eating as a family does indeed strengthen bonds, and helps children cope with the world better. It also allows time to teach important life princinples, share good and bad times, etc. But the key to this process is that the meal has to be served at a table, without the distraction of television.

Myself, I love eating with others much more than eating alone. But in my house, my DW can't seem to pull herself away from the boob-tube and so we get now real interaction during the meal. I still try to make it as good a meal as I can, in the hopes that I will Wow her into breaking away from the TV. But it hasn't happened yet. When our children were at home, it wasn't as big a problem.

Maybe that's why I so enjoy inviting the kids, or freinds to eat over, or even to got to their homes and cook a meal. The focus becomes the interaction between people, whether we're talking about food, or reminiscing about a camping trip, or sharing laundry secrets about getting stains out, or designing the next airplain wing (I get into some pretty odd conversations with some pretty creative freinds, even though we never build the airplan wing). It's teh conversations with family and good freinds that makes meal time a great time for me. And, I love showing off my cooking skills, especially when the food comes out soooo good, which is usually the case. Plus, I don't have many freinds that can't cook, at least to some degree.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

I love eating, period

I do prefer to eat with others. I find I eat much slower with others. When I eat by myself i tend to wolf my food down much quicker than I probably should. When I eat with others there is conversation to slow down the pace.

I also eat healthier when i eat with others. Two nights ago I had dinner with my family. I made pesto coated salmon, but edemame, corn and peppers and a wild grain mix. Last night I ate dinner alone. I have a package of frozen appetizers out of the freezer (lemongrass chicken mini egg roll type things).
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calya View Post
I often have to eat by myself even though I am married. I rarely get to enjoy a meal in the company of others even though it is one of the greatest joys in my life....to share food and good conversation. Is it me, or does food just taste better when you are in good company?
no doubt about it! but when I eat by myself, which is often, I still set a nice table and turn on some favorite music. I also find that I eat more slowly when I pour myself a glass of wine with dinner. (Not a bottle, just one glass... )

People seem amazed that I cook just for myself, but I can't imagine why I would treat myself less than any of the loved ones I regularly cook for.

I suggest we all need to treat ourselves as well as we treat our families and friends....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
People seem amazed that I cook just for myself, but I can't imagine why I would treat myself less than any of the loved ones I regularly cook for.
I would guess that the amazement stems from it being so much more difficult to cook for just one unless you want a ton of leftovers.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #19
Executive Chef

All depends what you cook GB. I cook plenty of good meals for myself without any leftovers, roasts, pastas, steaks, fish, etc.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I would guess that the amazement stems from it being so much more difficult to cook for just one unless you want a ton of leftovers.
One chicken breast or one fish fillet is pretty easy.... plus, if I have leftovers, I can take them for lunch the next day, or freeze them for another solo dinner on a night I don't feel like cooking.